Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I think the chemistry comment is a shot at the changes management made this offseason.

Since the emergence of JT Compher the team has had a glue player who can play both special teams and any position on any line.

Now he's been replaced by a guy who was on Tampa fourth line and they paid a first rounder for him.
Didn’t MacKinnon advocate for Drouin? Maybe it’s a shot at the blender?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Bednar was just playing 4D chess with CMac and Sakic...

Before the game:
"I will put Drouin and Tatar back into the lineup against Vegas, the team that is currently 1st in the NHL, and show them how those two will be useless in the playoffs."

After the game:
"Mission accomplished. However I wasn't planning on showing them how useless my top guys and my #1 goalie are as well against them."

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Bednar was just playing 4D chess with CMac and Sakic...

Before the game:
"I will put Drouin and Tatar back into the lineup against Vegas, the team that is currently 1st in the NHL, and show them how those two will be useless in the playoffs."

After the game:
"Mission accomplished. However I wasn't planning on showing them how useless my top guys and my #1 goalie are as well against them."

It's the only thing that makes sense lol. Time to start rotating goalies and playing the hot hand as well. George needs a reset, not just a rest.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think the chemistry comment is a shot at the changes management made this offseason.

Since the emergence of JT Compher the team has had a glue player who can play both special teams and any position on any line.

Now he's been replaced by a guy who was on Tampa fourth line and they paid a first rounder for him.
I don’t think it’s a *shot* of any kind. It’s just facts.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I don't think it's an IQ thing. It's a lack of play driving outside Mikko and Mack.

MacK more so than Mikko has not been a consistent positive in that regards, with a large part of that being due to very low IQ plays. The amount of times he’s failed to recognize his defensive responsibilities or when he gives up the puck going for a low reward, high risk play seems to outdo the positives.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
MacK more so than Mikko has not been a consistent positive in that regards, with a large part of that being due to very low IQ plays. The amount of times he’s failed to recognize his defensive responsibilities or when he gives up the puck going for a low reward, high risk play seems to outdo the positives.
Ehh high risk plays are always going to be there with the elite guys. The biggest issue is that no one outside of those guys can drive play or create any scoring chances outside the big guys. A bunch of one and dones which leaves a lot of pressure on the D, who also hasn't been great this year.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Which again is why Landy needs to be stapled to MacKs line.

And why Drouin who brings the same amount of dumb without any of the physical skills or willingness to even attempt to make safe plays or play defense is a terrible combination.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Ehh high risk plays are always going to be there with the elite guys. The biggest issue is that no one outside of those guys can drive play or create any scoring chances outside the big guys. A bunch of one and dones which leaves a lot of pressure on the D, who also hasn't been great this year.

This is the thing that's missing with Colton right now. The lack of controlling the play and creating for his linemates.

There are different ways to do that, so hopefully Bednar can push the right buttons there.

I have zero confidence in Bennett based on the powerplay, but he does have a lot of experience.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
When you think about what Avs lost since the cup win, it’s not surprising at all what’s happening to them right now.

Landy- captain, power forward, point production and two way game

Kadri- 80 plus point season 2C, heart and soul guy

JTC- while he’s not a top 6 forward, he was a very solid 3C for this team who was with them for a long time

EJ- another heart and soul guy and was a very solid bottom pair D and a leader, longest tenure player on the Avs

Burakovsky- very nice depth winger who could score 20 plus goals and 50 to 60 points

Those are not easy to replace overnight. It’s gonna take time

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
When you think about what Avs lost since the cup win, it’s not surprising at all what’s happening to them right now.

JTC- while he’s not a top 6 forward, he was a very solid 3C for this team who was with them for a long time

EJ- another heart and soul guy and was a very solid bottom pair D and a leader, longest tenure player on the Avs

Burakovsky- very nice depth winger who could score 20 plus goals and 50 to 60 points

Too rational of a post.

Haha.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado

So, what you're saying is Fire CMac and Bednar?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

It shouldn't be surprising. Some people flat out ignore it though. This team is is quite a bit weaker than the Cup winning team and arguably even weaker than last years team, at best its probably about equal .

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
They don't have to be as good as that cup team to win again. They have to be better than they are now though

I dunno about that. I think there's a few teams that are awfully close to our 22' team around the league.

They definitely need to be a lot better than they are right now though. Probably need at least one significant forward addition at the deadline. Maybe a Dman as well. Then on top of that they need Landy to come back and be able to play like a legit Top 9 forward at least... Or, they need Kovalenko to come over an exceed all expectations.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It shouldn't be surprising. Some people flat out ignore it though. This team is is quite a bit weaker than the Cup winning team and arguably even weaker than last years team, at best its probably about equal .
I think on paper this team should be good. Hell, I even said that I thought this team is deeper than the cup team, but chemistry is just way too important. Losing so many key guys and replacing them with bunch of guys who never played together will have this type of struggles.

For example, if Vegas lost Stone which is Landy for us, Stephenson I guess would be Kadri, and one of their bottom pair D and another bottom 6 forward which would equal EJ and JTC, there is no way in hell they can win right away no matter who they replace them with

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
continue to shop winger Anthony Mantha as they try to free up salary cap space to accommodate another move.

I wonder what is the other move. Can't think of a single move that would fix them.
I don’t even think they’re trying to fix it. They just want to be good enough to get 8 the record. That ain’t happening so long as Dylan Strome is their best center.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
They don't have to be as good as that cup team to win again. They have to be better than they are now though

Yeah this is where I stand. The days of the Avs dominating there way to a cup are done. It'll take a miracle move/development to hit that point again. Just because you can't steamroll your way to a cup doesn't win you can't win one tho.

Avs aren't anywhere close right now but we've added alot of new faces so you need to atleast give it some time. The thing that gives me major concerns tho is C-Mac at this point. Not sure the Avs will be aggressive enough and make the hard decisions if things don't work out. That's the one thing that's changed for me post cup. I thought after the cup the FO had figured it out and turned a page but last year makes me hesitant.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I don’t think it’s a *shot* of any kind. It’s just facts.
Exactly this, it was just 29 spitting the truth. The team looks completely off.

2nd line sucks because RyJo sucks because he can't even remotely generate offense. 3rd line works hard but isn't producing and 4th line is whatever. And 29 and 96 aren't playing to their capabilities.

All this equals complete suck and getting shutout 3 times in 4 games.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
For example, if Vegas lost Stone which is Landy for us, Stephenson I guess would be Kadri, and one of their bottom pair D and another bottom 6 forward which would equal EJ and JTC, there is no way in hell they can win right away no matter who they replace them with
Not to nitpick but Stone is significantly higher in Vegas food chain than Landy was here. He's their #1 or #2 best forward, depending if you have Eichel ahead of him or not.

Also I don't know if it's relevant but cup year Kadri was a one year thing, even if we'd have kept him. Look at how he plays now...or how he was playing the previous season. That's the real Kadri.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad