Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
In order for intimidation to work, the side being intimidated has to actually believe the person intimidating them can do something bad.

In today's environment, can KMac, in fact, enforce? I don't think he can. There have been several times where he's actually the first involved and the refs still jump in and prevent the tussle. A team like Edmonton would have to believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that Kurtis MacDermid would break MacDavid's ankle in retaliation for an ugly hit on Makar in order for intimidation to work. To be clear, I do not condone this, don't believe for a second that Kurtis would do this, or believe it works in today's game.

We're just better off having a better hockey player. That being said, I couldn't find fault in Kurtis' last game. Again, he's being sheltered obviously, but when he's on the ice, he's doing the right thing, and this year actually appears to being closer to only one step behind the play. It's hard to fault an 83.58 xGF% at 5v5.

Reactions: The Moops

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
To me "dirty hit happened despite this tough guy being on the bench" is the same argument as "this guy died in a car crash despite wearing his seat belt..."

AFAIK no one here played in the NHL and from what I've heard over the years it's pretty much unanimous from current and former players that these guys ARE deterrent.

MacDermid was a reaction from the front office after what happened to Ryan Graves in the Vegas series at the end of game one, which was a turning point. Let's not pretend that we know more than Joe Sakic if these guys are useful or not.
👍

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The only person on here who has been confirmed to have played at a high level is Ian Cole's burner account that chimes in from time to time.

Also, Scotty Bowman's Finnish uncle sometimes stop by to teach, he's a hockey professor.
RIAL but that’s offset by all the pucks he took to the head.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
All I care about is whether Sakic, CMac,, Bednar, and the boys in the locker room see value in Dermy. And it seems they do, even if it is limited. So I'm totally cool with the big oaf getting a few shifts in. And I played competitive rugby in (the equivalent of) middle and high school, so don't disagree with me.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I keep thinking back to a Tony Twist interview that was in The Athletic a few months ago. There was a lot of word salad in there, but he also said that in order for deterrence to really work, an enforcer has to show he's willing to flip out on someone on the other team (whether in terms of a one-sided fight or repeated slashes to a star player) if liberties are being taken. Still waiting for MacDermid to do this to someone, who the league is put on notice and there is a more credible deterrent. Yeah, there was/is a code that you don't fight outside your weight class, but old school enforcers could be nasty in other ways toward the skill players on other teams as a way of message sending.

I think there's probably something to that. It's an alpha move. Like the idea of picking a guy to beat up your first day in prison. And that's definitely something that isn't really part of MacDermid's game. He doesn't even initiate scrums pretty much ever.

I think part of that though is Bednar. He doesn't want him running around looking for trouble. This is what killed Greer's chances on the team, and to an extent Zadorov running around looking for hits. He wants them focused on the system and their positioning.

Kind of a lose/lose situation for Kurtis, but maybe that's just how it's got to go in this day and age of hockey. Nothing lasts forever.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think there's probably something to that. It's an alpha move. Like the idea of picking a guy to beat up your first day in prison. And that's definitely something that isn't really part of MacDermid's game. He doesn't even initiate scrums pretty much ever.

I think part of that though is Bednar. He doesn't want him running around looking for trouble. This is what killed Greer's chances on the team, and to an extent Zadorov running around looking for hits. He wants them focused on the system and their positioning.

Kind of a lose/lose situation for Kurtis, but maybe that's just how it's got to go in this day and age of hockey. Nothing lasts forever.
All the more reason to question why MacDermid is even on the roster. Sakic/MacDermid should have known Bednar will not trust this guy, so he can't possibly do his job properly.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
All the more reason to question why MacDermid is even on the roster. Sakic/MacDermid should have known Bednar will not trust this guy, so he can't possibly do his job properly.

That's fair. I think they've struck an ok balance though.

He may not help the team a ton outside of fighting, but he doesn't really hurt the team that much either IMO if he's playing forward. He skates ok enough and has a good enough hockey mind to know where to go on the ice. Doesn't really take bad penalties pretty much ever either.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Even less of a reason to roster him… Like if Bednar doesn’t want him to do
the one thing he’s best at what’s the point of having him? It’s not like he’s a shutdown 4th liner/dman and he doesn’t provide any offense. Either let the dude lose or get rid of him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
1) You (or lets say someone average because I don't know you) in front of a big guy who pisses you off and calls your mom a *** = your reaction is X1

2) You with a Big Dude buddy with a baseball bat beside you, in front of a big guy who pisses you off and calls your mom a *** = your reaction is X2

3) You in front of a big guy who pisses you off and calls your mom a ***, with a Big Dude buddy with a baseball bat baside him = your reaction is X3

X1 isn't = X2 isn't equal X3
This conclusion is NOT true for everyone, because some people are immune to intimidation or fear. These people are not the majority. For everyone else, that equation is true. Intimidation is a real thing... its doesn't have the same hold on everyone, but to deny that it exists, even in an environment like the NHL, is weird...

IMO, Having a debate about whether having an enforcer is a good use of the roster spot in today's NHL is absolutely fair. But to flat out deny that intimidation exist and to argue that enforcers have absolutely ZERO impact on others' behavior is baffling...
I’ve read this post twice and still have no idea what you’re trying to say.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
"oh no we suck again!"

Bednar better start benching more players in the next few games. and give more opportunities for the kids in the system.

people were talking about McGoon recently here... Id play him 16 minutes next game just to wake up some guys.

Reactions: missionAvs

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
"oh no we suck again!"

Bednar better start benching more players in the next few games. and give more opportunities for the kids in the system.

people were talking about McGoon recently here... Id play him 16 minutes next game just to wake up some guys.

I'd play MacDoofus top 6 minutes if it meant never having to see Drouin/Tatar ever again.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's easy to say now but I honestly don't think that bringing in players like RyJo, Drouin and Tatar was a good idea.

These players can't play the style of game that makes the Avs successful.

Reactions: The Moops

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
It's easy to say now but I honestly don't think that bringing in players like RyJo, Drouin and Tatar was a good idea.

These players can't play the style of game that makes the Avs successful.
I drank the koolaid this summer only seeing the upside. Almost everyone new has disappointed majorly. Maybe they need more time, but something is off on this team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad