Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Has Sammy been bad so far this year? I personally think he's been quite good, it's Byram who looks a little lost out there right now. Even Manson was pretty decent last night.
Sammy's been playing great for us this season.

Screenshot 2023-10-20 112646.png

He's stepped up his physicality as well. He's initiating hits (5), currently sits tied for second on the team with Josh Manson behind only Miles Wood (10). I don't expect him to keep that level up and end the season second on the team in hits but it does show that his game is adapting and evolving.

Yes, the Knights gave him fits years ago...they gave fits to the entire team, but why Girard is the only one to continue to carry the stink of that loss for some is beyond me.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Well if they plan on trading Girard that was a smart move.

To get Girard's value up, yes that makes sense.

Meanwhile, Byram's already missed a lot of development time to injury and now they're f***ing around with more putting him on his offhand. Each year that passes like this Byram's ceiling gets lower.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
To get Girard's value up, yes that makes sense.

Meanwhile, Byram's already missed a lot of development time to injury and now they're f***ing around with more putting him on his offhand. Each year that passes like his Byram's ceiling gets lower.
I agree with you. I really hate that pairing, it's a can't win situation where whoever plays on the right side will suck.

It's a shame Caleb Jones doesn't hold a hockey stick the same way as his brother.

There's always Malinksi and Clurman!
Malinski is not the kind of dman we need in that role.

And I agree it's a shame for Jones.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021

View attachment 755356

He's stepped up his physicality as well. He's initiating hits (5), currently sits tied for second on the team with Josh Manson behind only Miles Wood (10). I don't expect him to keep that level up and end the season second on the team in hits but it does show that his game is adapting and evolving.

Yes, the Knights gave him fits years ago...they gave fits to the entire team, but why Girard is the only one to continue to carry the stink of that loss for some is beyond me.
👍

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Has Sammy been bad so far this year? I personally think he's been quite good, it's Byram who looks a little lost out there right now. Even Manson was pretty decent last night.

Who's been playing his off side covering for Sammy below the goal line and in front of the net and allowing Sammy to play his game on his natural left side though?

The criticism is over the top with Byram. Like 80% of the criticism is based on weak penalty calls that the opposition doesn't get called for on the same type of plays. He got hit from behind way harder in pre-season than he got called for, and got pulled down by a Hawks player extending his arm on the PP in the same spot he got called for interference by barely touching a Hawk player. Not to mention this place flipped out on him when he accidentally shot the puck over the glass.

He's not actually making more defensive mistakes than guys like Girard, Makar, and Toews, who have all made their share of mistakes so far. And nobody comments on the good plays he makes. He's just standing out more with the penalties, and has a built in narrative from last year, that make people want to nitpick everything he does and look for problems.

I'm not a big analytic guy, but I know many that have been criticizing him are, which shows some bias because he's had either the best or close to the best defensive analytics in all the games except one I believe.

If he was playing as poorly as some at HF think, Bednar wouldn't have given him the 2nd most ES ice time on the team, through 4 games either. Which they've won all of I might add. How'd they win all 4 games with Byram getting that much ice time, and having good analytics, if he's been as bad as some think?

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012

View attachment 755356

All the other stink carriers from playoffs past are long gone, that's probably why.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Who's been playing his off side covering for Sammy below the goal line and in front of the net and allowing Sammy to play his game on his natural left side though?

The criticism is over the top with Byram. Like 80% of the criticism is based on weak penalty calls that the opposition doesn't get called for on the same type of plays. He got hit from behind way harder in pre-season than he got called for, and got pulled down by a Hawks player extending his arm on the PP in the same spot he got called for interference by barely touching a Hawk player. Not to mention this place flipped out on him when he accidentally shot the puck over the glass.

He's not actually making more defensive mistakes than guys like Girard, Makar, and Toews, who have all made their share of mistakes so far. And nobody comments on the good plays he makes. He's just standing out more with the penalties, and has a built in narrative from last year, that make people want to nitpick everything he does and look for problems.

I'm not a big analytic guy, but I know many that have been criticizing him are, which shows some bias because he's had either the best or close to the best defensive analytics in all the games except one I believe.

If he was playing as poorly as some at HF think, Bednar wouldn't have given him the 2nd most ES ice time on the team, through 4 games either. Which they've won all of I might add. How'd they win all 4 games with Byram getting that much ice time, and having good analytics, if he's been as bad as some think?

You’ll likely find ulterior motives in some of the criticisms of Byram. It’s often not a coincidence that when there is discussion of needing a 2C, you’ll often see the criticism of Byram increase.

It doesn’t exactly sell Byram to other fanbases who might be looking in but the audience is other Avs fans.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I just hope that Bednar doesn't play Georgiev too much. He's a smaller, athletic goalie and will eventually run out of gas.

Saw stats recently on how #1 goalies these days don't play as many games as they used too and it's better for the playoffs.

Injury is also a big concern by overplaying Georgiev. Avs are screwed if he gets a late season knee or groin injury.

They shouldn't be too worried about making the playoffs, so there shouldn't be a huge need to overplay him.

I'll take losing the west or even the division over risking an injury or burn out to Georgiev. I think he might have been a little burned out in the playoffs last year after how much he played too.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Valid points. FTR I don't necessarily think Byram has been a disaster (IMO Manson with the exception of last night has been) but he has looked out of sorts.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Valid points. FTR I don't necessarily think Byram has been a disaster (IMO Manson with the exception of last night has been) but he has looked out of sorts.

Happy to hear that because I feel like I'm taking crazy pills sometimes reading the GDT's.

I don't think Manson is quite back to form yet, but he's getting there IMO. There's probably also an element of it taking a little while to loosen his hip up. Same goes for Makar.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Who did you have in mind?

Teams generally don't want to make young two-way RHD's available so it seems a bit optimistic to expect to get a potential top 4 RHD for reasonably cheap.

Columbus having a logjam at RHD means Peeke and/or Boqvist are options, but neither are ideal for different reasons. Peeke has a $2.75m X 3 year contract which could be tricky to fit in long-term, but at least there's clarity with Toews so that may be workable still. Boqvist is a smallish offensive RHD who wouldn't fill a need really.

Nashville may decide to move on from Fabbro so he could be a nice option if they'd move him within the division. He's an RFA this off-season with a $2.5m QO so there's some flexibility there this off-season.

Kovacevic fits your description well, as a young and cheap guy who has potential to play up to a #4 role, but Montreal would probably be loathe to move him barring an overpayment.

New Jersey potentially have an excess of RHD's too, and if Nemec and/or Hughes take top 6 roles then perhaps Colin Miller may be made available. His $1.85m x1 deal would be manageable and he only cost NJ a 5th rounder to acquire so likely wouldn't cost much in another trade, though he's more of an offensive type rather than someone you'd want anchoring your PK so that might not be the ideal route.

I also suggested Matt Benning who's a solid if unspectacular 3rd pairing RHD on a $1.25m X3 year contract.

Realistically the Avs will probably just wait until the TDL to acquire a rental RHD so they can assess the market and how guys are playing nearer the playoffs.

Well, points pay, so more of a stay at home guy that doesn't have the hype around him.

Brendon Dillon comes to mind when he was younger, as a physical stay at home defender if my memory serves.

I don't have any names, that's what our pro scouts are for lol.

And yeah, I'd agree on them likely going for another Manson type rental.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I mean, guys - I'm reading criticism of Byram from some, Girard from others, J. Johnson from a few.

Rather than all that, how about as a defensive core (and I mean by FAR the best in the NHL), they are dominating !!

4 games in, 4 goals against (GAA of 1 !!!).

I honestly hope we see VERY little movement in the roster (we've already seen heaps this offseason), because this is a Stanley Cup winning team top to bottom.

Take that one to the bank.

Reactions: Linds and Foppa2118

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I just hope that Bednar doesn't play Georgiev too much. He's a smaller, athletic goalie and will eventually run out of gas.

Saw stats recently on how #1 goalies these days don't play as many games as they used too and it's better for the playoffs.

Yessss, that's more of what I'm worried about than this month. Wonderful., get Cartwheels some coaching time, but they better put him in when the schedule gets tighter.

No different than managing injuries all year so you are as healthy as possible for the playoffs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean, guys - I'm reading criticism of Byram from some, Girard from others, J. Johnson from a few.

Rather than all that, how about as a defensive core (and I mean by FAR the best in the NHL), they are dominating !!

4 games in, 4 goals against (GAA of 1 !!!).

I honestly hope we see VERY little movement in the roster (we've already seen heaps this offseason), because this is a Stanley Cup winning team top to bottom.

Take that one to the bank.

And Cale's not even fully back to form or playing a lot yet either.

I would be surprised if we see much of any changes to this team. They basically built this year's team in the off season and don't have the cap space to do much else. Injury callups will probably eat up most of the remaining space.

Doesn't make much sense to move an important defenseman this year, because they won't be able to afford the kind of player they'll bring in anyway.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
And Cale's not even fully back to form or playing a lot yet either.

Despite how JJ looked in pre-season he's been good enough that they don't need to.

I think Manson is settling in unfortunately as the 6th D, and JJ has actually been bringing his OFD side. For as balanced as JJ can play, I've been loving that he's still got the wheels to step up on occasion. It was really noticeable last night, and he gets pucks through quite often.

Again, you can't over play him though. Every coach ever seems to love to do that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Despite how JJ looked in pre-season he's been good enough that they don't need to.

I think Manson is settling in unfortunately as the 6th D, and JJ has actually been bringing his OFD side. For as balanced as JJ can play, I've been loving that he's still got the wheels to step up on occasion. It was really noticeable last night.

Again, you can't over play him though. Every coach ever seems to love to do that.

I think they'll probably still defer to Manson over JJ in meaningful games. Manson's more proven he just isn't 100% yet while JJ seems to be. I'm not too worried about either though.

JJ's averaging 16 more seconds at even strength, but Manson is getting 1:28 more overall, because he plays so much on the PK.

Bednar and Pratt just seem to prefer pairing the bigger more defensive guys together on the bottom pair during the regular season, while pairing the puck movers together. I'm not a big fan of this, but they did the same thing with EJ and Manson and EJ and JJ.

I think they may think they can shelter them more this way and get the matchups they want, but I do'nt like the impact it has on the other pairings.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think they'll probably still defer to Manson over JJ in meaningful games. Manson's more proven he just isn't 100% yet while JJ seems to be. I'm not too worried about either though.

JJ's averaging 16 more seconds at even strength, but Manson is getting 1:28 more overall, because he plays so much on the PK.

Bednar and Pratt just seem to prefer pairing the bigger more defensive guys together on the bottom pair during the regular season, while pairing the puck movers together. I'm not a big fan of this, but they did the same thing with EJ and Manson and EJ and JJ. I think they may think they can shelter them more this way and get the matchups they want.

JJ knows how to move the puck though, it's pretty clear Manson is letting him do most of that. That's all I'm saying.

I really do hope Manson starts to get in better shape as he plays. He seems to be, but you never know if it's the injuries or conditioning, or both. He missed a lot of hockey.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022

Some people had their hopes up that Byram would take a big step and play like a top pairing guy already.

He still needs a lot of time to get experience playing NHL games and he's not getting as many offensive looks (rightfully so since Makar exists) in favourable situations. He's forcing things now which is maybe trying to live up to a big contract. He'll settle in at some point.

For all the problems with developing those middling forwards like Newhook and Jost they've done a great job bringing out the best of young defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad