Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ahhkchtually, the Avs do have plenty of cap room if Francouz stays on LTIR. They could sign Bear for ~$1.5m and still have room for a 23 man roster.

Well that's good to know, I still very much doubt the Avs will inquire, and also, I've no idea just how serious his injury is and whether he'll bounce back from it effectively this season.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Yes, but Good Lord it was one goal. They also seem to think that if Connor McDavid suddenly showed up and became Patrice Bergeron that the Cups would start rolling in, so I don't give a damn what people or pundits in Edmonton think. I believe Bear departed the Oilers because of what he perceived to be lack of support from the organization following that, and I hope I'm not misquoting him but I think he also said some of the vitriol was at least in part racially-motivated, and I don't think he was wrong there.

Sorry, I don't know if I understand your second point with Girard. If you're saying Manson was a vital cog to the Avs' 2022 Cup run, I've no qualms with that whatsoever. Acquiring him was not the issue, overpaying him with a long-term deal was.

FTR I'm not pounding the table for the Avs to go out and get Ethan Bear, like I said he's out until around the midpoint of the season anyway, and the Avs don't have the cap room so it's a moot point. They gotta make do with what they have and so far they're doing just that.
My only point about Girard is the smaller D-men in the POs argument. Regular season is fine. POs is another story but reasonable people can disagree.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well that's good to know, I still very much doubt the Avs will inquire, and also, I've no idea just how serious his injury is and whether he'll bounce back from it effectively this season.

I know it will cost, but I'd lean towards adding a younger two way RHD through trade. No one high profile, but solid, that if not already there, could grow into the #4 role quickly.

Is Bear that? If so make space and give him a shot, if not, meh. Who knows though, maybe he takes a 1yr smaller deal coming off an injury like that.

Obviously no better team to prove yourself on.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Because he’s not good, saying he’s better than Manson like some is laughable lol. We just got Caleb Jones and I’d rather him over bear too.

Yeah. Agreed. Although you can make a case for someone being better than Manson because they’re able to not miss games. But acknowledging this isn’t an argument for Bear specifically.

He’s played on teams that are hard up for D (where too much might be asked) and a team that has good D (Carolina) and didn’t stick in either scenario.

Reactions: Avaholic29

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This is a pretty pointless argument. I believe him to be better than Manson, and that's just my opinion. Wasn't my intention to plead some sort of case for Ethan Bear to join the Avs, I just think he'd be a good fit, but I don't think he'd be some sort of worldbeater.

In any event, we will see what happens as the season rolls on. The current situation on defense is not ideal, but that's a minor quibble for a team that currently has the top penalty kill in the league and is 4-0. I'd like for them to find a RHD for the second pairing but it's not an urgent need.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
We have that covered with Girard, so pass lol.
True, but Sammy is way better than Bear.

Has Sammy been bad so far this year? I personally think he's been quite good, it's Byram who looks a little lost out there right now. Even Manson was pretty decent last night.
I have not been impressed with Byram, so far.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
True, but Sammy is way better than Bear.

I have not been impressed with Byram, so far.

He's having a rough start..

Games wise wouldn't this be his sophomore season? And he's on the right side...

The thing that worries me most is the penalties. Thought his holding penalty last night was horse shit, along with a couple others though too.

Hopefully that mouth of his isn't pissing refs off too, because he's on the wrong side of some close calls a lot lately.

Bednar hasn't stopped playing him, so he must agree, but we all know the penalty stuff will eventually piss off Bednar to the point of no return lol.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Most likely he'll get re-signed by Vancouver as they apparently liked him last year and would have re-signed him had he been healthy. They also have a big need for a RHD, and iirc his girlfriend is from the area too and he'd want to stay there.

Also the Avs as a contender may be more risk averse with adding a player coming off an injury in a year they aim to be contending.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Has Sammy been bad so far this year? I personally think he's been quite good, it's Byram who looks a little lost out there right now. Even Manson was pretty decent last night.

No lol, that was basically a hot take. Girard has been pretty awesome to start. If his shot was anything he'd have two or three goals by now too.

Looks fast, hard on the puck, and is breaking up plays from my perspective.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Look, all I'm gonna say about small defensemen in the playoffs is that here is a list of all the D-men under 6'0 who have won a Cup playing significant playoff games since 2010-2011:

2011 Ference 5'11
2015 Timonen 5'10
2016 Daley 5'11
2017 Daley 5'11
2018 Orlov 5'11
2022 Makar 5'11

That's it. That's the list. Make of it what you will.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I know it will cost, but I'd lean towards adding a younger two way RHD through trade. No one high profile, but solid, that if not already there, could grow into the #4 role quickly.

Is Bear that? If so make space and give him a shot, if not, meh. Who knows though, maybe he takes a 1yr smaller deal coming off an injury like that.

Obviously no better team to prove yourself on.
Who did you have in mind?

Teams generally don't want to make young two-way RHD's available so it seems a bit optimistic to expect to get a potential top 4 RHD for reasonably cheap.

Columbus having a logjam at RHD means Peeke and/or Boqvist are options, but neither are ideal for different reasons. Peeke has a $2.75m X 3 year contract which could be tricky to fit in long-term, but at least there's clarity with Toews so that may be workable still. Boqvist is a smallish offensive RHD who wouldn't fill a need really.

Nashville may decide to move on from Fabbro so he could be a nice option if they'd move him within the division. He's an RFA this off-season with a $2.5m QO so there's some flexibility there this off-season.

Kovacevic fits your description well, as a young and cheap guy who has potential to play up to a #4 role, but Montreal would probably be loathe to move him barring an overpayment.

New Jersey potentially have an excess of RHD's too, and if Nemec and/or Hughes take top 6 roles then perhaps Colin Miller may be made available. His $1.85m x1 deal would be manageable and he only cost NJ a 5th rounder to acquire so likely wouldn't cost much in another trade, though he's more of an offensive type rather than someone you'd want anchoring your PK so that might not be the ideal route.

I also suggested Matt Benning who's a solid if unspectacular 3rd pairing RHD on a $1.25m X3 year contract.

Realistically the Avs will probably just wait until the TDL to acquire a rental RHD so they can assess the market and how guys are playing nearer the playoffs.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Look, all I'm gonna say about small defensemen in the playoffs is that here is a list of all the D-men under 6'0 who have won a Cup playing significant playoff games since 2010-2011:

2011 Ference 5'11
2015 Timonen 5'10
2016 Daley 5'11
2017 Daley 5'11
2018 Orlov 5'11
2022 Makar 5'11

I'm going to need a list of what % of the league's defensemen who played 50+ games each of those years were under 6'. I am being facetious, but there are a lot more 6' and over guys than smaller guys so there's that factor.

The league has definitely gotten taller, but has also gotten away from lumbering giant pylons. Rafalski for example was awesome in an era of big dangerous idiots and legalized mugging. Leetch wasn't so big either.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

2011 Ference 5'11
2015 Timonen 5'10
2016 Daley 5'11
2017 Daley 5'11
2018 Orlov 5'11
2022 Makar 5'11

Toews and Byram aren't exactly giants either. Both are officially listed at 6'1" but neither of them will be mistaken for Drew Doughty.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I really don't understand all this fuss about Ethan Bear, probably the worst fit you can have for our D. Honestly, I'd love to have another Manson (who can stay healthy) or even if JJ was RHD.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
He’s playing nowhere, as I posted earlier he’s hurt and won’t be ready until December at the earliest.

And the league grossly overvaluing big, physical defensemen is something that has been a staple of hockey as stadium hot cocoa that’s served hot enough to melt steel. That’s completely meaningless when evaluating them as actual players.
A lot of people with smalll man syndrome ( not saying you ) feel this way but you have to have some size and muscle on the blueline somewhere

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I hope we don't squeeze Byram out of this lineup by playing a young guy on the wrong side - he should be working towards finding his game at LD far as I'm concerned

Then again, if he's officially "not panning out" - I do hope they get value for him before they can't

Reactions: Foppa2118

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sammy is and has always been rock solid on the left side. Same with Byram.

When Bednar decided to move G to the left and put Byram to the right he created the exact same problem that he solved.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Sammy is and has always been rock solid on the left side. Same with Byram.

When Bednar decided to move G to the left and put Byram to the right he created the exact same problem that he solved.

Agreed.

I'm hoping maybe Manson is ready to play on the second pairing. He was atrocious to start, but I'm guessing part of that might be attributable to the fact that he was dealing with something during camp/preseason and it's healed enough so that he can play more minutes.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Agreed.

I'm hoping maybe Manson is ready to play on the second pairing. He was atrocious to start, but I'm guessing part of that might be attributable to the fact that he was dealing with something during camp/preseason and it's healed enough so that he can play more minutes.
I've been saying the same thing for months. This team is missing a RD who can push JJ at #7.

Toews, Girard and Byram all need to play on the left side.

The RD's that are paired to G and Byram don't even need to be good. Manson is more than good enough, we just need another bottom pairing caliber RD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad