Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

30% is basically $1.5m X 3, making his caphit $3.5m X 3. That would be pretty solid value for whoever gets him, even making his caphit viable on a 3rd line rather than in the top 6.

That said, the Avs shouldn't be adding more cap to the wings so they shouldn't be involved here. Unless of course they expect Landeskog to be out and need a replacement winger without spending many assets.

Just for fun though... How about a deal around Manson and Garland? Vancouver would get a stay at home RHD to partner with Hughes, and Avs would get out of Manson's bad contract (albeit while adding another winger on a sizeable contract which isn't ideal).

They have similar contracts ($4.95m x3 and $4.5mx3) so capwise it's workable. Garland's salary per year is $6m, $6m, and $5m, total $17m. Manson's is $5m, $4m, and $3.5m, total $12.5m. Maybe Vancouver could retain a bit to balance the total dollars, but either way thats workable in theory.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Just for fun though... How about a deal around Manson and Garland? Vancouver would get a stay at home RHD to partner with Hughes, and Avs would get out of Manson's bad contract (albeit while adding another winger on a sizeable contract which isn't ideal).

Apparently Hughes is looking forward to being paired up with Hronek.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
while I agree choosing Manson over Kadri was stupid one thing hasn’t been mentioned. That hard stance with Kadri on term due to his age likely had an effect on the recent Toews contract. Not caving to every contract negotiated (see Toronto) likely led Toews to believe he had a take it or leave it deal on the table. So we lose the Kadri battle but we win the Toews war. Toews > Kadri. Now find a way to dump Manson

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
We don't need anymore tiny wingers and we'd just be creating another hole on defense. When we trade Manson it either has to have a D man coming back or we need to dump his entire salary.
I would hate to just dump his salary. We've got to have a plan firmly in place before we do that otherwise we looking at:

Toews-Makar
Byram-Girard
Johnson-Jones

I've never really cared for Girard on RD but Bednar's used him there in the past. I'm not sure he'd want to give Jones 2nd pairing minutes above either Byram or Girard. So that's why I put the second pair the way I did. Now that third pair probably wouldn't prevent us from making the playoffs, but I'm not sure we'd go very far with it.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Apparently Hughes is looking forward to being paired up with Hronek.
I thought Vancouver wanted Cole and Hronek paired together as they looked good in preseason, and that they don't want Soucy on his off-hand or Myers next to Hughes.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I would hate to just dump his salary. We've got to have a plan firmly in place before we do that otherwise we looking at:

Toews-Makar
Byram-Girard
Johnson-Jones

I've never really cared for Girard on RD but Bednar's used him there in the past. I'm not sure he'd want to give Jones 2nd pairing minutes above either Byram or Girard. So that's why I put the second pair the way I did. Now that third pair probably wouldn't prevent us from making the playoffs, but I'm not sure we'd go very far with it.
Girard can't play RHD. We've tried a bunch and it just doesn't work. That's why Bo is playing there now. Which is also not really looking great....

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

Toews-Makar
Byram-Girard
Johnson-Jones

Obviously a RHD would need to be brought in via a separate trade to replace Manson in that scenario, as there's no way the blueline would be fine as constructed without one.

For example, do Manson for Garland (with whatever retention needed) and then turn around and do pick+Francouz for Peeke, and roll with:

Drouin - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - RyJo - Rantanen
Garland - Colton - Tatar
Wood - Olofsson - O'Connor
Cogliano

Toews - Makar
Byram - Peeke
Girard - JJ

Then add another RHD as a TDL rental.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Obviously a RHD would need to be brought in via a separate trade to replace Manson in that scenario, as there's no way the blueline would be fine as constructed without one.

For example, do Manson for Garland (with whatever retention needed) and then turn around and do pick+Francouz for Peeke, and roll with:

Drouin - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - RyJo - Rantanen
Garland - Colton - Tatar
Wood - Olofsson - O'Connor
Cogliano

Toews - Makar
Byram - Peeke
Girard - JJ

Then add another RHD as a TDL rental.
Peeke isnt an upgrade on Manson. Garland isnt a good fit on that line, too small.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
With Drouin already being demoted, it kind of highlights a potential interest in going after Henrique. He can play top 6 and can play C in small stretches. Yes, it’s been said before. But that’s because it makes a lot of sense.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Columbus has a lot of centers. If Johansen isn't cutting it, I wonder if we could try and pry Cole Sillinger from them. I would imagine he's probably untouchable, but you never know until you kick the tires.

If we are trading for a long-term solution, I want it to be an RFA coming in. Hopefully one that will continue to be in their prime as MacKinnon begins slipping. That's also why I'm so big on going after Barrett Hayton. Good young RFA C who already proved himself at the NHL level.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Columbus has a lot of centers. If Johansen isn't cutting it, I wonder if we could try and pry Cole Sillinger from them. I would imagine he's probably untouchable, but you never know until you kick the tires.

If we are trading for a long-term solution, I want it to be an RFA coming in. Hopefully one that will continue to be in their prime as MacKinnon begins slipping. That's also why I'm so big on going after Barrett Hayton. Good young RFA C who already proved himself at the NHL level.

The problem with Hayton is he has a 43 point career high.

So either he stays at that level which won't address the 2C position the way some want, or he has a good year and he costs more than the Avs can afford as a RFA.

And if they get him on a cheap bridge deal, by the time Nate starts to decline, and probably even before, Hayton will have to be re-signed for more.

The Avs had to make a decision for a couple years on their center depth. They went with RyJo and Colton and they'll hope Ritchie can develop well and make an impact on the team in a year or two.

Going with a different plan and bringing in a new 2C will have big ramifications on all the other aspects of how they're planning to ice a competitive roster with limited cap space the next few years and beyond.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Or someone signed long term.

The ship has almost certainly sailed at this point but man wouldn't it be nice for Minnesota to decide to go full blowup this year and made Joel Eriksson-Ek available. I remember a year or so ago having posters tell me he wasn't even a legit Top 6 Center.

$5.25M for 6 more years and a guy that can chip in 25 Goals and 60-65 points while being a top tier defensive forward as well...

He would literally be the perfect Center behind Mack for this team.

Last edited:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Or someone signed long term.

The ship has almost certainly sailed at this point but man wouldn't it be nice for Minnesota to decide to go full blowup this year and made Joel Eriksson-Ek available. I remember a year or so ago having posters tell me he wasn't even a legit Top 6 Center.

$5.25M for 6 more years and a guy that can chip in 25 Goals and 60-65 points while being a top tier defensive forward as well...

He would literally be the perfect Center behind Mack for this team.

Minnesota would avoid trading to us though, unless insane offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad