Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I feel like the NHL is entering a weird phase of teams catching up and standings will be insanely tight this year. Since around 19-20 you've had downright dominant teams in the league with Tampa Bay, Colorado, Vegas, Toronto, Boston, Carolina, and to a lesser extent Edmonton and the New York Rangers. They've consistently been upper-echelon teams and by a fairly large margin.

It seems like most - if not all - of those teams are losing their grip of dominance on the rest of the league while up-and-comers/average teams close the gap.

That's not to say those teams listed won't still be the best teams. I think there are very easily 4 potential division winners there - but it's not going to be the same walk-in-the-park or dominant showing it has been over the last 4 seasons.
Yeah I think this is the effect that the flat cap is having. It’s now been a few years of flat-ish cap and it’s allowed teams to be bunched up more. The better teams have been forced to simply pay their better players due to contract renewals and then not have enough space for depth.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
JTC had many a point last year playing next to Moose, but that did not make him a good hockey player.
He was good in regular season but not good in the playoffs as a 2C. He was a really good 3C for the Avs in the cup run. You can’t say he’s not a good hockey player, he’s just not a 2C. Definitely not worth 5 mill unless he scores like 60 points for the Wings

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
No way in hell the Avs give up on Drouin that fast (assuming the report is true and Kane is playing in a month).

Kane would be fun but I don't think he's got it anymore. Definitely not on a line with a questionable center to begin with.
2 games in and Bednar has already experimented with dropping Drouin down the lineup because of poor play.

It can happen very soon if he does not play well.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
2 games in and Bednar has already experimented with dropping Drouin down the lineup because of poor play.
To be fair after 2 games Drouin sucks, RyJo sucks, Tatar sucks and Wood has been mediocre. All of this was predictable but that doesn't mean it will stay like that all year. Even Bednar who has no patience knows that.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I really don't think they have to prove much. I don't think management or Bednar is happy with Manson's health. They're going to spend some picks or prospects to move him this off season.

Moving Manson alone would probably cost a 1st at this point given his regression, injuries, and caphit.

Olausson has very little value.

So value-wise it's basically Byram for Sillinger, Jenner, Peeke, and Boqvist.
I disagree. You have to remember that this is a league that always has some GM with his head up his ass willing to pay or acquire players that think they'll be a difference maker. Didn't the Blue Jackets give up a 4X4 contract to a guy like Erik Gudbranson ? This is after he bounced around a bunch of teams and pretty much proved he was a depth guy - they were still willing to pay up to sign him as a UFA.

I'm quite certain that if Manson becomes available at some point that Kenny Holland and the Edmonton Loilers will look at him as the missing piece to what they are trying to do overthere, hopefully by trading for a 2X Stanley Cup Champion at that point.

to be fair to JTC, the one and only time both he and the Avs were on the same page was the 2022 postseason. There, he was playing as the 3C they always envisioned him as AND had the proper depth above him to allow him to play that role. But right after that Kadri left and he was forced to be the de facto 2C (I’ll never understand how management thought Newhook was the answer, clearly the coaches knew better).

Anyway, what’s done is done. I don’t blame the Avs for not paying him but I also don’t blame him one bit for getting paid. Hopefully it works out for him, he’s a good player despite some rather frustrating tendencies.

But we've kind of gone through this though. It wasn't that they thought Newhook was the answer - they HOPED he was the answer and it didn't work. They figured they could address it at the TDL - after all, it worked out 1 year prior but when the TDL rolled around, other teams were all too prepared to make them pay TBL prices for whoever the Avs wanted and with Landeskog's uncertainty + the general health of the team overall, Avs management decided they wouldn't pay those outrageous prices.

Look at the return they got when they decided to address it after the season -> a 1st round pick + Colton in exchange for Newhook was an insane trade and I don't care how many points Newhook puts up for the Habs. Colton is the guy that was needed in that #3C slot and that trade wasn't available at the TDL for sure as Tampa was gearing up for the playoffs themselves.

I know people want the Avs to win every single year but that's going to be pretty tough to do. We have another good shot at it this season and with a much better team with fewer holes this go around.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

IMG_1827.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I thought that was because he got hit in the face by a puck.

Yeah I didnt think Drouin played particularly well, but he got demoted right after he got hit with the puck. Then they were still getting shutout so I think Bednar just kept with the shuffled lines.

Interested to see what lines Bednar goes with against Seattle.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
Apparently Poolparty has been skating in Finland and is eyeing an NHL return around November. Honestly, would not be surprised if the Avs offer him a league min contract depending on how some of the gambles are working out.
Mack driving Drouin
Rantanen driving Poolparty

Kuznetsov and Nuke sounds like a party, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad