Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
But did we win vs a contender on the road or didn't we?

Last I checked you basically said our whole season is dependant on Johansen.

I think that was Hench.. but it's very true. 2C is something we need fixed to truely contend because it's the hardest to pay to fix of all of the other things.

So far, a top four RHD rental looks to me like our big addition for the playoffs, but it's early.

The rest is there, depth at forward is good, I do believe in Ryjo, even if it takes a minute.

That right side on defense is our early weakness if I'm making a jump the gun prediction lol.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
There was an online article where Grier said he told Hertl and Couture he’d work to accommodate them if it came to a rebuild and they’re not up for it.

Say what you will about Hertl but 8.1 has become reasonable quite quickly. Boston seems like a place that he’d prefer to go but maybe if the Avs can offer more, Grier might pursuade him to be flexible.

The cost certainty has value compared to someone like Lundell who might either stall out or become too expensive.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think that was Hench.. but it's very true. 2C is something we need fixed to truely contend because it's the hardest to pay to fix of all of the other things.

So far, a top four RHD rental looks to me like our big addition for the playoffs, but it's early.

The rest is there, depth at forward is good, I do believe in Ryjo, even if it takes a minute.

That right side on defense is our early weakness if I'm making a jump the gun prediction lol.
It is 100% true... if RyJo doesn't play to a good 2C level, the Avs won't make it through a playoff run. During the regular season it won't matter a ton. The Avs are very likely getting a top 3 central spot and probably higher than that. RyJo could play at a 45 point pace with that mostly on the PP and the Avs will still make the playoffs. But playoff success will rely on RyJo being an advantage, if he's not, the Avs won't get far. Avs are in Cup or bust time and they need RyJo to work.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Johansen and the second line did nothing at even strength the other day, which is where he's needed most, but I thought he made good plays on the PP. Everyone went crazy when he fanned on Mikko's pass but he was winning faceoffs, puck battles, and making right plays. I think he'll be an asset on the PP and exactly what they've been looking for since they're obsessed with the right-handed shot in that spot.

He annoys me though and has for years. Just not the type of player I like for whatever reason. He can only change my mind after what I see from him in the playoffs.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
There was an online article where Grier said he told Hertl and Couture he’d work to accommodate them if it came to a rebuild and they’re not up for it.

Say what you will about Hertl but 8.1 has become reasonable quite quickly. Boston seems like a place that he’d prefer to go but maybe if the Avs can offer more, Grier might pursuade him to be flexible.

The cost certainty has value compared to someone like Lundell who might either stall out or become too expensive.
I just don't see the Avs valuing that 2C spot that much. Would love Hertl though personally. We have a MO, trying to fit a young guy or buy low (Kadri, RyJo) or just put in a versatile vet (compher, maybe Colton in the future).

Reactions: henchman21

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I just don't see the Avs valuing that 2C spot that much. Would love Hertl though personally. We have a MO, trying to fit a young guy or buy low (Kadri, RyJo) or just put in a versatile vet (compher, maybe Colton in the future).
Don’t disagree. They seem to be determined/stubborn about only paying so much.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Missing a lot of games again. The Jackets didn't go pay big money for Severson because they were super happy with Boqvist.
Ok, but nothing you just said is evidence that his value is at the lowest its ever been... He's coming off the best year of his career. Regardless of injuries or Columbus transactions, he absolutely isn't at his lowest value at this point, even if that value is still very little.

On Hertl... would love to get him here. $8M is extremely reasonable for a good 2C especially as we exit the flat cap world. Avs could absolutely make Hertl work at 2C and quite frankly probably not lose Mikko out of the ordeal either.

It would cost Byram to get Hertl though, but that's a trade that makes us better IMO.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Ok, but nothing you just said is evidence that his value is at the lowest its ever been... He's coming off the best year of his career. Regardless of injuries or Columbus transactions, he absolutely isn't at his lowest value at this point, even if that value is still very little.

On Hertl... would love to get him here. $8M is extremely reasonable for a good 2C especially as we exit the flat cap world. Avs could absolutely make Hertl work at 2C and quite frankly probably not lose Mikko out of the ordeal either.

It would cost Byram to get Hertl though, but that's a trade that makes us better IMO.
Boqvist was a central piece for the trade for Seth Jones, who was a top RH D talent at the time. We'll see what he gets traded for next lol. Everyone knows that young prospects values go down if they don't meet expectations. Tyson Jost can have his best career year this year and his value still won't be what it was when he was a rookie or sophmore year.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Boqvist was a central piece for the trade for Seth Jones, who was a top RH D talent at the time. We'll see what he gets traded for next lol. Everyone knows that young prospects values go down if they don't meet expectations. Tyson Jost can have his best career year this year and his value still won't be what it was when he was a rookie.

You understand there can be a value between the highest point and lowest point, correct? I'm not saying his value is at its peak, it simply isn't at the lowest point either when he just had the best season of his career.

Unless you think Val Nichsuhkin is still worth nothing because he was worth nothing when we signed him?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It is 100% true... if RyJo doesn't play to a good 2C level, the Avs won't make it through a playoff run. During the regular season it won't matter a ton. The Avs are very likely getting a top 3 central spot and probably higher than that. RyJo could play at a 45 point pace with that mostly on the PP and the Avs will still make the playoffs. But playoff success will rely on RyJo being an advantage, if he's not, the Avs won't get far. Avs are in Cup or bust time and they need RyJo to work.
There's another way to ensure the second line's success.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
But did we win vs a contender on the road or didn't we?

Last I checked you basically said our whole season is dependant on Johansen.
save your breath

What? He's coming off the best year of his career...

That trade favors Columbus by a decent bit. Jenner is extremely valuable to them.
they are trying to trade Boqvist now and don't have ant suitors outside of Montreal.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
RyJo is doing pretty good on faceoffs and puck battles. The issue is the puck battles need to come to him because he is too lazy to get to them. Thank God he doesn't need to skate fast to the faceoffs. :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
:laugh: Okay, there are multiple ways to fix the second line.

I was simply going to suggest swapping Lehkonen and Rants and running a beef line of Nuke-RyJo-Rants. Allow Lehky to puck-hound and JD to feed MacK on the top line.
I get the idea of loading up on the wings, and I think the Avs will compensate in some manner there. Just that center is too important of a position with differing responsibilities that you need a high level of play there. Over the years, if you don’t get strong center play, you don’t win. Not impossible if you don’t get it, but very difficult.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
You understand there can be a value between the highest point and lowest point, correct? I'm not saying his value is at its peak, it simply isn't at the lowest point either when he just had the best season of his career.

Unless you think Val Nichsuhkin is still worth nothing because he was worth nothing when we signed him?
Yes I understand. You understand that him missing another half season and losing one more year of "prospect" luster drops his value right?

Reactions: Gruyeriev
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad