Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
2 guys in the top 4, 3 guys in the top 10

Makar was 3rd last year so he fell one spot. If only he could stay healthy.

"Nathan MacKinnon was third behind McDavid and Draisaitl in regular-season points per game in 2022-23 and the Colorado captain ranks third all-time in playoff points per game behind Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier."

Colorado captain?!?! Do better TSN.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
"Nathan MacKinnon was third behind McDavid and Draisaitl in regular-season points per game in 2022-23 and the Colorado captain ranks third all-time in playoff points per game behind Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier."

Colorado captain?!?! Do better TSN.
Being 3rd behind Gretzky and Messier in playoff PPG is impressive.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If the Avs put Francouz on LTIR and Cogliano on IR they actually already have a cap compliant 23 man roster, $125k under the cap.

There's a lot of flexibility here to claim one or even two players on waivers, especially since neither Meyers or Malinski require waivers.

Drouin - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - RyJo - Rantanen
Wood - Colton - Tatar
Tufte - Olofsson - O'Connor
MacDermid - Meyers

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - JJ
Malinski

Georgiev
Annunen

IR: Cogliano
LTIR: Francouz, Landeskog

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Teams which were arguably at or below the Avs in contention status (Tampa has cup expectations but Jersey was just happy to be there) used all of Colton, Wood, Drouin, and Ryjo below where the Avs intend to use them.

You can be optimistic and say the Avs are shelling out barely $10millions in cap space for a 2C 3C and and second and third line wingers. What a bargain!

Or you have question marks all over your middle six on a team that couldn't get out of the first round.

Kinda like when the Avs brought in Nuke, Kadri and Burakovsky. All players that didn't help their teams in the post season and had significant question marks.

Any given season anything can happen. Both positively and negatively. No reason not to start the year hoping for the best when there isn't a big reason to be negative.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Kinda like when the Avs brought in Nuke, Kadri and Burakovsky. All players that didn't help their teams in the post season and had significant question marks.

Any given season anything can happen. Both positively and negatively. No reason not to start the year hoping for the best when there isn't a big reason to be negative.
Burakovsky scored some clutch goals for Washington in their cup run, and had a great record of scoring in elimination games. That indicated that he could be a valuable contributor in the playoffs for the Avs, which was indeed the case as he continued that elimination game goal record with the Avs (think it was something like 9 goals in his last 9 elimination games or something along those lines). His two biggest highlights were the two goals against Tampa for Washington in game 7 of the ECF, and the OT winner against Tampa in the final for the Avs.

Reactions: The Moops

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Jesper Boqvist might have been an interesting waiver name had we not already signed Tatar. Wonder if someone claims him.

Zboril probably needs to be claimed by someone who can give him more of a shot than as a 6/7D but he'd nonetheless be an intriguing pickup if the Avs decide to pick him up and send Malinski down.

AvsInRhodey

Oct 26, 2020
Jumpning back to the Toews contract conversation, obviously sarifices will need to be made one way or another and it depends on your short-term vs long-term view. My take take is give Toews 8 years for the lowest cap number we can get. That's long term pain for short term gain, but we are in a world of cap pain in 4 years anyway. That's the year Makar gets his big raise, and Girard, Colton, and Lehks are either getting raises or walking. We are set up for a huge cliff in 4 years. Also around the same time some of our vets will be starting to show their age. Might as well just own it and sign everyone to max term deals for the short term savings. We did it with Landy, Mack, Nuke, and to some extent Wood on his 6 year deal. Will do it again with Rants. We should absolutely do it with Toews, whose style of play will age pretty well for the first half of deal. At least we'll have the best chance to win another cup within the next 4 years.

To make the money work, we'll need to trade Manson for peanuts (or add a sweetener) once his no trade clause runs out in the middle of next offseason. If Landy comes back next year, we might have to trade Girard as well. I don't want to trade Sammy as that creates a defensive depth issue, but he's the most likely candidate to go if we need to shed salary and the goal is to win another cup in this window. If this all plays out as I think, next offseason we are keeping Toews and Landy, trading Manson and Sammy, and we put our pro scouts to work to find a pending RFA dman who has that hidden gem potential and is willing to sign in the $3M range. Basically, attempt to recreate the Toews trade but at a slightly cheaper scale.

IMHO, these next 4 years are the critical runs we have left as a true cup condender. I look at our contracts due in the 2027 offseason, Makar being the biggest of them, and I see a lot of reason to treat that as the team's turning point. I think all major personel decisions, including Toews, should be made with this turning point in mind. What happens before then will have the biggest impact on our chances to win another cup for the next decade. Win now mode until the wheels fall off is my strategy.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Jumpning back to the Toews contract conversation, obviously sarifices will need to be made one way or another and it depends on your short-term vs long-term view. My take take is give Toews 8 years for the lowest cap number we can get. That's long term pain for short term gain, but we are in a world of cap pain in 4 years anyway. That's the year Makar gets his big raise, and Girard, Colton, and Lehks are either getting raises or walking. We are set up for a huge cliff in 4 years. Also around the same time some of our vets will be starting to show their age. Might as well just own it and sign everyone to max term deals for the short term savings. We did it with Landy, Mack, Nuke, and to some extent Wood on his 6 year deal. Will do it again with Rants. We should absolutely do it with Toews, whose style of play will age pretty well for the first half of deal. At least we'll have the best chance to win another cup within the next 4 years.

To make the money work, we'll need to trade Manson for peanuts (or add a sweetener) once his no trade clause runs out in the middle of next offseason. If Landy comes back next year, we might have to trade Girard as well. I don't want to trade Sammy as that creates a defensive depth issue, but he's the most likely candidate to go if we need to shed salary and the goal is to win another cup in this window. If this all plays out as I think, next offseason we are keeping Toews and Landy, trading Manson and Sammy, and we put our pro scouts to work to find a pending RFA dman who has that hidden gem potential and is willing to sign in the $3M range. Basically, attempt to recreate the Toews trade but at a slightly cheaper scale.

IMHO, these next 4 years are the critical runs we have left as a true cup condender. I look at our contracts due in the 2027 offseason, Makar being the biggest of them, and I see a lot of reason to treat that as the team's turning point. I think all major personel decisions, including Toews, should be made with this turning point in mind. What happens before then will have the biggest impact on our chances to win another cup for the next decade. Win now mode until the wheels fall off is my strategy.

By the time it’s year 8, DT’s cap hit may not even seem that bad. You could also look at getting DT done as a goodwill gesture/ insurance with Makar. There are a lot of ways one could easily justify term with DT.

Reactions: niwotsblessing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad