Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
OO has looked pretty good in camp, I’d give him a year or two before claiming bust. Definitely tough seeing guys like stankoven and knies going after though lol

OO always looks good at camps. His issue has never been skill, it's his overall IQ and effort levels that are a concern.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
FWIW in Baugh's latest article, he guessed a Toews deal will look like 7x$7-7.5M

7 years isn't great but man a ~$7.25M cap hit would honestly be pretty damn good and especially as the cap goes up it would be more and more manageable. Still think if he's willing to do 7x$7M the Avs should just give the 8th year and get him on the Lindholm 8x$6.5M contract.

Reactions: Jayevs and shadow1

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
FWIW in Baugh's latest article, he guessed a Toews deal will look like 7x$7-7.5M

7 years isn't great but man a ~$7.25M cap hit would honestly be pretty damn good and especially as the cap goes up it would be more and more manageable. Still think if he's willing to do 7x$7M the Avs should just give the 8th year and get him on the Lindholm 8x$6.5M contract.

You have to consider what 7.25 looks like in 7 years (as you’re suggesting). Don’t even blink if these are the terms.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
You have to consider what 7.25 looks like in 7 years (as you’re suggesting). Don’t even blink if these are the terms.
I'm not worried with Toews up to 7.5M.

That's the completely stupid, arbitrary number that somehow got stuck in my head. The problem I have going above that, is one, we would be paying too much for past performance and two, much more than 7.5M and it makes resigning Mikko and keeping any depth at all darn near impossible in the short term. Long term, I'm satisfied the cap will go up enough to keep them both, but it will be so tight with for a year or two that we won't have depth. I'm thinking a year or two similar to last season. Not something I really want to go through. We actually have some depth at LD to account for the loss of one of them. Lose Mikko and our right side looks similar to whatever that was my cat just did in the litterbox.

No doubt about it, Sakic picked the perfect time to retire. The hard part is managing the cap with your core locked in their primes. CMac's got a pretty tough job ahead of him and it's not like he's got a ton of picks or prospects to really work with.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Our friend Justin Barron is getting absolutely grilled today in Montreal press.

I ran the article through Google translate because I'm too lazy to do it:

We have seen proof of this too often since the Canadian acquired his services from the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for Artturi Lehkonen. We will have to wait to see what becomes of the second round pick in 2024 that the Canadian also obtained in this transaction. But for the moment, the return is far from being enough.

Friday night, Justin Barron, like his teammates, screwed up a lot of plays over the 20 shifts he made during the match.

Because he will only be 21 years old on November 15 and because he is only entering his third season in the professional ranks, we can forgive him for many mistakes.

We must even forgive him.

What is impossible to forgive, however, is the fact that he plays with the end of the stick as soon as there is buzz around him. The fact that he loses his one-on-one battles without really giving the impression of wanting to fight them. The fact that he displays a nonchalance that is impossible for anyone to forgive. Even less to a young person who is still far from having proven that he is truly a hope.

Asked about Justin Barron's night at work, Martin St-Louis refused to directly blame his young defender, preferring to spread the blame across the entire team.

It's understandable.

But I am convinced that Martin St-Louis, his assistants, the members of the staff and the coaching staff of the farm club will refuse to turn a blind eye to the fact that Barron refused to impose himself in a battle one on one in the middle period against Tyler Bertuzzi.

It was deep in Canadian territory. In the corner to the left of Cayden Primeau. The puck was there. Barron was closest to the puck. With one hand, without even forcing, Bertuzzi pushed Barron out of the play to grab the puck and try to orchestrate a threat.

Yes, Bertuzzi is fiery. But on the play, he didn't even have to be as Barron allowed himself to be pushed down without offering the slightest resistance. The slightest conviction.

Seeing the game taking place under the press gallery I heard the voice of the former Canadian coach Michel Therrien who, in his own English, described the players who were losing as “soffffes” and not “soft”. too often their one-on-one fights, or worse, who refused to fight them.

Beyond his physique and all the talent that resides within him, Justin Barron has a place of his own in the category of soft players, even too soft, or “soffffes” if you prefer Michel Therrien's expression. He will have to quickly take the means to chase away this reputation firmly attached to his name otherwise he himself will waste the immense potential that resides within him.
Saw him in Riga with the Canadian team at the WC, I told myself what a great trade from the Avs, Barron looked so bad and especially soft !

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
That's the completely stupid, arbitrary number that somehow got stuck in my head. The problem I have going above that, is one, we would be paying too much for past performance and two, much more than 7.5M and it makes resigning Mikko and keeping any depth at all darn near impossible in the short term. Long term, I'm satisfied the cap will go up enough to keep them both, but it will be so tight with for a year or two that we won't have depth. I'm thinking a year or two similar to last season. Not something I really want to go through. We actually have some depth at LD to account for the loss of one of them. Lose Mikko and our right side looks similar to whatever that was my cat just did in the litterbox.

No doubt about it, Sakic picked the perfect time to retire. The hard part is managing the cap with your core locked in their primes. CMac's got a pretty tough job ahead of him and it's not like he's got a ton of picks or prospects to really work with.
Rantanen comes up the same year that Byram, Johansen, and Georgiev are up for renewals.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
The Avs have have had 5 players from the 2013 1st round play for them. What’s the likelihood that they add Hartman and/or Monahan?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
The Avs have have had 5 players from the 2013 1st round play for them. What’s the likelihood that they add Hartman and/or Monahan?

Almost as bad as their fascination with the 2006 1st round. EJ, Brassard, Mueller, Bernier, Stewart, and Varlamov. Also had rumors of acquiring Giroux, Little, Frolik and Foligno in the past.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Roland McKeown from my right defensemen list is on waivers, but he's certainly not my top choice. Ty Emberson was already claimed and he was one I was definitely looking at - he was the de facto top callup for the Rangers, so that's a loss for them.

Devin Cooley is also on waivers as someone to potentially compete with Annunen for the backup role.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd say there's a 0% chance they claim a Dman off waivers especially if they already have to claim a Goalie. Why strap this team with another contract and leas cap maneuverability when they're already in such a tight spot.

They really don't need another Dman anyway.

Reactions: Bender and shadow1

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Justa a little while ago most talks about a Toews extension were referring to $9M or $8M. Not we keep hearing about $7M and some now even dare creep into the $6M. This is really encouraging... although board talks mean sh**t...

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Justa a little while ago most talks about a Toews extension were referring to $9M or $8M. Not we keep hearing about $7M and some now even dare creep into the $6M. This is really encouraging... although board talks mean sh**t...

It really does seem unrealistic he signs for less than 8m unless it's later in the season and he's not having a monster year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad