Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
What's up with Rasmus Asplund? He was almost good and then immediately that's it.
Yeah that's the name that stood out to me as well. He had excellent defensive metrics a couple of years ago, it's a little surprising how quickly he's fallen since then.

Part of me thinks he'd be worth a claim as he'd be more useful than Meyers, but Meyers himself won't make the roster so that's not exactly a high bar to clear.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I wonder how Columbus' RHD is going to shake out this season as they have a tonne of options.

Severson $6.25m
Gudbranson $4m
Peeke $2.75m
Boqvist $2.6m
Ceulemans $925k
Jiricek $918k
Bjork $775k
Blankenburg $775k

In contrast their left side seems pretty set for now:

Werenski
Provorov
Bean

Seems like they could be a good trade partner either this week via waivers (Bjork) or nearer the deadline (Peeke). Peeke would be an ideal partner for Girard/Byram on the bottom pair and would enable Manson to be cap-dumped next off-season without leaving a huge void at RD.

Fwiw capwise it would actually be possible to add Peeke right now and still ice a 22 man roster, as long as Francouz and MacDermid are moved, and the 22nd guy makes $762.5k (eg. Hunt), though that would literally leave exactly zero capspace.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Mandalorian

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
He's just a classic AAAA player who played well on bad team.. then when any expectations hit, couldn't live up to them. He's also yet another guy who relied heavily on his skating at lower levels that found it wasn't an advantage in the NHL and just had nothing else to fall back on.
Yeah, that makes sense.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Thank God they save 3M AAV for the next 3 years while they are rebuilding and don't need cap space. Kicking the can down the road for when they'll be competitive. That's real smart.

/s
I think a bridge with Zegras makes sense. The talent is clearly there to be as dynamic a player as there is offensively, but the consistency isn’t there yet.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If Zegras never becomes a pt/gm+ player, the Ducks will be happy they didn't lock themselves into a big money (rumored $9M+) long term deal that would significantly impact their cap when they finally become competitive.

Reactions: Alienblood

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Former 1st and 2nd rd picks on waivers. This after another former 1st rd pick was waived the other day.

Impeccable GM work in Ottawa continues.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Sokolov can't skate so not a good fit in our system. JBD though, good fit. BUt he isn't adding the physicality and vet presence that we seem to want out of that spot.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
As much as I’d like to see a waiver claim to add depth with Malinski maybe not being quite as ready and MacDermid seemingly only being used at F (addition by subtraction), I don’t they will. I’d rather they save the little money they have to add a #4-6 quality type RHD in middle of the year or around deadline. Thinking of like a Peeke, Demelo, Dumba, or Tanev type player. Obviously each has own factors in their scenario but just thinking out loud. Don’t need to tie themselves into a contract spot and money they can’t spare to just get a smidge more depth. Plus it seems they like what they have in Clurman, Ahcan, Aamodt, Hunt, Malinski, and Schueneman. Hell maybe even Middleton gets some games.

Reactions: Richard88

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm guessing they won't make a waiver claim any time soon. They don't have the cap space for a 23 man roster, they have to go with 22 which would leave them $525k.

The forward waiver claim spot was basically taken by Tatar. They have enough competition for the 4C spot with Olofsson, Meyers, and Pavel. Plus the trade deadline if need be.

And Tufte has looked good in camp, though they want to keep him at wing.

As it is, if the send down one of Olofsson or Tufte, they'd have to pass through waivers themselves. If they claim someone, and send down Olofsson and Tufte, they'd risk losing both.

Bednar also sounded like he had some expectations for Pavel and was disappointed he got injured.

If they need a defenseman they have MacDermid in a pinch, though they want to keep him at forward, but with the Eagles close by, they may take the gamble that they can call up someone like Malinski, Hunt, or Clurman if given enough time.

So my guess is they won't make a waiver claim early on this year, unless injuries force their hand, or both Franky is expected out long term and Annunen doesn't perform well in his first game. I think they'll wait to give Annunen a game though to see if he's up to the task.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

Former 1st and 2nd rd picks on waivers. This after another former 1st rd pick was waived the other day.

Impeccable GM work in Ottawa continues.

That Sokolov pick was a complete reach for an overager in the 2nd round, baffling pick at the time

Kovacevic would still be a solid grab if he gets waived.
He won't get waived. Montreal will send Barron down and waive Lindstrom before Kovacevic. If he's on waivers he definitely gets claimed ahead of the Avs anyhow.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I have a serious question…..

Can we get Marcel Marcel to play with Ivan Ivan?

Reactions: arun

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I have a serious question…..

Can we get Marcel Marcel to play with Ivan Ivan?
1696342613708.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad