Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Part Deux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
I know Georgie hasn't been good this year but for some context it feels like a lot of goalies in general havent been. I think a trade is a bad idea, as someone said goalies are weird and as an example of this we have:
Vasilevskly at .896, Saros at .899, Gibson at .900, Shesterkin at .901, Oettinger at .901 all considered top goalies and even if we would have paid one of our recent ones we have Kuemper at .891, Grubauer at .884

I think I am ok waiting for a bounce back from Georgie and hopefully the Vegas game was a sign of some of that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not a huge fan of Georgiev this year but I also don't think it's realistic to trade for another starter. Best hope is to get a good backup who can spell him better than Prosvetov has.
Avs can't really replace him as a starter unless he is moved in the deal. Getting a 1B sort should be a pretty high priority... a Mrazek/Allen/Kahkonen/Vejmelka type.

As the Monahan chatter picks up... enjoy this gem from Monahan's Bio:

"At 6-foot-3 and 195 pounds, Monahan has proven to be one of the tougher and more durable players in the NHL."

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I think we should all just relive/rewatch the games and GDTs of the 22 playoffs instead of watching this year if the expectation is to go in with Monahan as 2C lol.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
In that clip from the Frank Saravelli interview, did anyone else become uneasy when MacFarland said what they do at the trade deadline will depend on how the team is doing?

Interpret that. Does it mean if the team is still winning with key guys logging a lot of minutes, MacFarland will think everything is fine and give away a 2nd for some inconsequential player?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
On 32T pod today, Friedman was extremely confident that the Flyers called the Avs about a Byram for Gauthier deal, but that CMac wanted something else in addition to Gauthier, which took them out of the running. It was a bit too specific of a rumor to be his normal spaghetti against the wall.

If this is to be believed, it is vonfirmation that the Avs are enertaining the idea of trading Byram. Some here will be thrilled.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
On 32T pod today, Friedman was extremely confident that the Flyers called the Avs about a Byram for Gauthier deal, but that CMac wanted something else in addition to Gauthier, which took them out of the running. It was a bit too specific of a rumor to be his normal spaghetti against the wall.
Flyers could try to reunite Drysdale and Byram. Sucks that Couturier has that contract because he didn't miss a beat despite missing all that time. He's still really, really good with an elite 200 ft game.

Having him as a 2C would be quite something.

Reactions: xAvsx89

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

So... taking this at purely face value. Philly would see the value difference between Byram and Drysdale as a 2nd round pick.

Reactions: lionsDen

Toothless Legend

Oct 15, 2021
Wheat Ridge, CO
So... taking this at purely face value. Philly would see the value difference between Byram and Drysdale as a 2nd round pick.
Presumably so would the Avs, but in the other direction. I wonder if it was more about the Avs also needing something (or an asset they would flip for something) that would help them in the immediate, and CMac overplayed his hand.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
@henchman21 paste this in the translator and have a good read ;)

DYPz5s2.png

TL;DR; Older players are doing better than they used and are more effective than the young ones.

Number of 18-22 yo in the top 50 scorers:

Number of 30+ in the top 50:

NIcngqr.png

This is also true for playing the most minutes and for goalies.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Something I have been thinking about for a couple of days now regarding our goalies: emotions getting in the way?

It has been mentioned a few times by Bednar that he wants George to control his emotions better on the ice when bad goals/plays happen. Let's call it too much negative emotions.

For Provy I am wondering if he doesn't suffer from the opposite: too much positive emotions. I have noticed from his interviews he gets easily upbeat and almost too excited when answering questions. In itself you would think being that happy and positive is a very good thing. However I am starting to think that maybe on the ice when things go well for him that maybe he gets a little too high on himself. Bednar mentions often players not getting too low or too high on themselves. Maybe Provy gets a little too high and starts losing focus or become too complacent. We can clearly see the talent but it looks to me he loses focus for periods of time.

Or maybe I'm just reaching and he is just not good enough.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
@henchman21 paste this in the translator and have a good read ;)

DYPz5s2.png

TL;DR; Older players are doing better than they used and are more effective than the young ones.

Number of 18-22 yo in the top 50 scorers:

9a3e39cb4aef37f6a018f4698ab9c3a5.png

Number of 30+ in the top 50:

NIcngqr.png

This is also true for playing the most minutes and for goalies.

Looks like the trend line for 30+ has been going down since the early 2000s where the peak was, but a recent 2-3 year uptick since the pandemic that coincides with the U23 decrease. Given the pandemic caused 2 shortened seasons (less wear and tear), some stalled development with some leagues cancelling 1.5 seasons and many playing limited... it makes sense there is a blip. Needs to turn into a trend though. Interesting to watch, but it is probably making too much out of a 2-3 year stretch.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The way Friedman said it was that Byram for Cutter was that it’s not even close. He said “Colorado isn’t doing that”.

I don’t think we’re talking about a difference in 2nd rounders here lol
I haven't heard the words... but Colorado isn't doing that could be more about timing than value. Gauthier is a guy that really helps 2-3 years down the road when the help is needed now.

I take all of Friedman either way here with a grain of salt... the dude loves to throw the Avs in every rumor.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Byram for Gauthier just doesn’t make sense for us right now. Would not have been thrilled had that gone through, which it sounds like it never was going to.

Reactions: Azrael89

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
So it would seem that Byram's value around the league is higher than we here would think. Interesting
It’s likely that of a 22 year old defenseman with the ceiling of a #1D and the floor of a middle pairing D but with a strong hampering because of his injury history.

He has also proven he can be a big player when games mean the most which GM’s won’t forget.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
IMO CMac most likely was more receptive to a Byram-Gauthier trade this summer.
Why would you think that? Toews wasn't even signed yet and Byram's struggles were unknown. If anything he was untouchable last summer but now he could be available.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
So it would seem that Byram's value around the league is higher than we here would think. Interesting

Shocker.

And to be fair, so was Newhook. This board was was flabbergasted at what Newhook brought in, everyone was quick to praise cMac but maybe Newhook was just highly thought of around the league.

I still think the only way the Avs trade Byram is if he asks for it or a team does something absolutely stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad