Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Part Deux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean they’re getting a younger future #1D who they can name a captain. Add Lehky and they’ll do it

You guys are underrating Bo that’s the problem
Why would they trade their captain for a guy who projects to be their 2nd best LD? It make zero sense.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
I’d do it for Hischier or Petterson. Lehky plus Byram is too much for JEE. Probably not enough for EP, but about right for Hischier
Lol besides not a chance Minnesota or devils trading either players, neither Minnesota or devils are taking on wingers, expensive bottom line Winger neither team is in need of. Byram wouldn't even be taken on extra D by either team who are already have bunch of money invested in D

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So what's going on with Josh Norris in Ottawa? His advanced stats are trash this year, but then again...who on the Sens actually looks good. But I wasn't expecting to see this...

Norris.png

I'll use spoilers for these but looking over his seasons, I'm kind of amazed he got such a big deal with that much term.

Sens 21-22.png

Sens22-23.png

Sens23-24.png

Last edited:

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
But paying 4 mil to Colton isn't?
Yes it isn't. That 1 million goes a long way. Especially with our 2C need. The 3rd line hasn't been a problem at all this year, when they've been able to play 3rd line minutes. I'd even argue it was on of the better 3rd lines in the NHL. The problem continues to be our 2C failing this team. If fact I'll argue that it's better because Cmac can't ignore the issue now. We need a real 2C and there's no way around it. We won't have Compher's dumb ass there to be a pretend 2C only to ghost us in the playoffs again.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Lol besides not a chance Minnesota or devils trading either players, neither Minnesota or devils are taking on wingers, expensive bottom line Winger neither team is in need of. Byram wouldn't even be taken on extra D by either team who are already have bunch of money invested in D
Just curious, who is an expensive bottom line winger?

Reactions: Alienblood

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yes it isn't. That 1 million goes a long way. Especially with our 2C need. The 3rd line hasn't been a problem at all this year, when they've been able to play 3rd line minutes. I'd even argue it was on of the better 3rd lines in the NHL. The problem continues to be our 2C failing this team. If fact I'll argue that it's better because Cmac can't ignore the issue now. We need a real 2C and there's no way around it. We won't have Compher's dumb ass there to be a pretend 2C only to ghost us in the playoffs again.
Our 3rd line is part of the issue.

Our 3rd line is making ~$8 mil and playing ~12-13 minutes a night because they aren't good enough to play more, that simply isn't good enough. If they were playing 15-16 minutes a night and making an impact that would be acceptable, Wood and Colton have been fine with their minutes, but they need to be better than just fine.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
IF Landy comes back, which is a pretty big if, Miko and his ~12m contract is the one to go, not Lehky or Nuke.
I mean, personally I would at least consider that possibility. But I really dont think the Avs have any desire to even consider trading Mikko or letting him walk as a UFA.

He's going to stay. And if Landy comes back, someone is gonna have to go. Personally I really dont think the "If Landy comes back" is all that big of an if. I'd bet money he comes back, the bigger question is to what level he comes back.

Our 3rd line is making ~$8 mil and playing ~12-13 minutes a night because they aren't good enough to play more, that simply isn't good enough. If they were playing 15-16 minutes a night and making an impact that would be acceptable, Wood and Colton have been fine with their minutes, but they need to be better than just fine.

I really dont think that's true. I mean look around the league and what 3rd lines are playing 15-16 minutes a night, maybe you find a couple really good 3rd lines that get that ice time, but for most teams 15-16 minutes is basically 2nd line ice time. I think our bottom 6 is fine honestly. Actually I'd even go so far as to say its pretty good, when we're at full health anyways and LOC is a 4th line guy.

The problem is we have quite literally no 2nd line right now. RyJo has proven to be an absolute bomb of an acquisition, and due to Lehkys injury, you're basically asking the 3rd line to play as the 2nd line right now + Nuke/Drouin on the wing where you could honestly argue Drouin is probably more of a 3rd liner then a Top 6 guy as well. I think if the Avs could roll into game 1 of the playoffs with a bottom 6 of:

Wood - Colton - Drouin
Cogs - Olofsson - LOC
Kiviranta

That would be a solid Top 6 group... Kind of even resembling the 2022 Cup winning team where Colton replaces JTC and Drouin replaces Burakovsky and quite frankly Wood is probably an upgrade over Newhook/NAK on that 3rd line from that cup run.

Then you've still got 5/6 of the same Top 6 with Mack, Mikko, Lehky, Nuke, and Landy(Assuming he's back).

But they really need a 2C, the one piece on this current roster that simply hasn't even been somewhat replaced from that 2022 run, is Kadri and the 2C slot. Get someone to fill those shoes and I truly think we could be in business in the playoffs(Georgiev being the other significant concern currently).

Reactions: The Moops

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

Our 3rd line hasn't been together in a good while now. When it was Wood - Colton - LoC, that line was fantastic. But with the Lehky injury and RyJo failing, Bednar has been shuffling those three all over the place.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I mean, I think signing Colton to 4x4 implies there are expectations that he can fill in at times on the second line. I also believe that this is Ross' first season in the NHL playing center full time. I imagine he's still learning a lot of things he needs to learn to become a successful veteran/pro NHL center, tough enough at the third line level, he's just simply not ready for 2C duty and it shows. If this team had a 2C, I wouldn't blink an eye at Colton stepping up into the 2LW position to fill in for an extended injury.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I mean, I think signing Colton to 4x4 implies there are expectations that he can fill in at times on the second line. I also believe that this is Ross' first season in the NHL playing center full time. I imagine he's still learning a lot of things he needs to learn to become a successful veteran/pro NHL center, tough enough at the third line level, he's just simply not ready for 2C duty and it shows. If this team had a 2C, I wouldn't blink an eye at Colton stepping up into the 2LW position to fill in for an extended injury.
That contract was signed at 4 million because that's what 3Cs are going to make from now on. That's the same cap percentage that Compher was signed to.

Reactions: The Moops

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah $4M is pure 3C money, zero expectations of 2C fill ins.

I would say JTCs contract is more of the mold of "3C with some 2C spot duty if needed". Another guy that fit that mold when he was signed was JG Pageau.

But ya $4M to me is pure 3rd line Center money. And honestly its solid value especially as the cap climbs more rapidly in the coming years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad