Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Part Deux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Because with Mikko's pay raise and possibly Landy coming back, etc. eventually you have no depth at all. FTR I am not saying I want any of them traded. I'm saying if the right trade comes up and it would improve the team I would do it.
I agree, if Landy does come back there are decisions to be made next year. This is why MacK should have taken less money. I mean why is he making that much more than Makar? Same with Mikko, he should take little less so the team can stay a contender. Toews did his part by taking less

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I agree, if Landy does come back there are decisions to be made next year. This is why MacK should have taken less money. I mean why is he making that much more than Makar? Same with Mikko, he should take little less so the team can stay a contender. Toews did his part by taking less
Because he just signed his contract? Makar signed his contract 3 years ago...

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Because he just signed his contract? Makar signed his contract 3 years ago...
Still though. Mack knows there is salary cap. His team has bunch of expensive players, and if they all sign to max contracts, they can’t contend anymore even with the cap going up. If Mikko also takes like 11 or something whatever his max value is, it will make things even more difficult. Toews could have signed for 9 or more if he went to free agency, but he signed for less than what he’s worth

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Still though. Mack knows there is salary cap. His team has bunch of expensive players, and if they all sign to max contracts, they can’t contend anymore even with the cap going up. If Mikko also takes like 11 or something whatever his max value is, it will make things even more difficult. Toews could have signed for 9 or more if he went to free agency, but he signed for less than what he’s worth

Mack didn't take a Max contract. He took a discount. Mikko isn't going to take 11, he'll get more than Mack. Makar will get more than both of them on his next deal.

Reactions: The Moops

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Mack didn't take a Max contract. He took a discount. Mikko isn't going to take 11, he'll get more than Mack. Makar will get more than both of them on his next deal.
Yeah, Mikko taking 11 would be wonderful but won't happen. He'll end up similar to marner or he'll help price Marners.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
I'd guess Mikko ends up at $13M.

Makar probably resets the D marker again at like $13-14M I would guess.
Both Marner and Rantanen are up for new contracts in the same off season. One will set the other. I'm guessing 12.5-13.5m

Didn't doughty have a ridiculous contract at first?

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Yeah but you’re not gonna win any trades you make involving MacK or Mikko unless you trade them for someone better. And who are better than MacK and Mikko?

McDavid?
Draisaitl?
Pasta?
Tkachuk?
Hughes?
Matthews?

I mean you’re not getting any of those players, so any trade you make, you’re losing. And are any of those players really better than MacK or Mikko?

Yeah maybe if you trade Mikko for McDavid or Hughes, you’ll be better because they’re centers but no one is trading you those players
Exactly. Basically you will end up downgrading, nothing else.

Reactions: the_fan

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Well, in that case the cap better go up to at least 100 mill before the core ages and the window closes because they can’t build a winning team if those 3 make over 12 mill

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
People talking about the Avs window closing forget that sometimes teams win a cup, and then the same core takes time to win another.

Avs won one in 1996. Didn't win another with same core till 2001.

Detroit won B2B cups in 1997/98, didn't win another with same core till 2002.

Devils won one in 1995, didn't win another with same core till 2000.

Pittsburgh won one in 2009. Didn't win another with same core till 2016.

Chicago won one in 2010. Had to retool their core, and didn't win another till 2013.

Might take another year or two.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
People talking about the Avs window closing forget that sometimes teams win a cup, and then the same core takes time to win another.

Avs won one in 1996. Didn't win another with same core till 2001.

Detroit won B2B cups in 1997/98, didn't win another with same core till 2002.

Devils won one in 1995, didn't win another with same core till 2000.

Pittsburgh won one in 2009. Didn't win another with same core till 2016.

Chicago won one in 2010. Had to retool their core, and didn't win another till 2013.

Might take another year or two.
I'm not a big "window slammed shut" guy but I do believe in timelines.

Chicago was an elite team from 2008-2015. 7 seasons, 3 Cups and then all downhill. Natural course of regression.

Los Angeles was elite from 2010-2015. 5 seasons, 2 Cups.

Pittsburgh was elite from 2007-2013. 1 Cup, then they completely retooled the roster due to good drafting and trades. They also happen to have generational Sid.

More often than not, a team's "elite" contending period is about 7 seasons. If we consider the Avs began truly being "elite" in the 19-20 season, well this is now season 5. The Avs have to make the next couple of seasons count, because it is damn near impossible in a cap era to continue your dominance past 7 seasons without great drafting/trades.

We know the Avs can trade but they can't draft for shit.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I'm not a big "window slammed shut" guy but I do believe in timelines.

Chicago was an elite team from 2008-2015. 7 seasons, 3 Cups and then all downhill. Natural course of regression.

Los Angeles was elite from 2010-2015. 5 seasons, 2 Cups.

Pittsburgh was elite from 2007-2013. 1 Cup, then they completely retooled the roster due to good drafting and trades. They also happen to have generational Sid.

More often than not, a team's "elite" contending period is about 7 seasons. If we consider the Avs began truly being "elite" in the 19-20 season, well this is now season 5. The Avs have to make the next couple of seasons count, because it is damn near impossible in a cap era to continue your dominance past 7 seasons without great drafting/trades.

We know the Avs can trade but they can't draft for shit.
They still have time. Majority of their stars are on the good side of 30. Four of their top 4 D-men are 25 or younger.

The biggest thing that's killing them is the COVID Cap. Hopefully, it continues to increase and they can find a 2C soon.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Los Angeles was elite from 2010-2015. 5 seasons, 2 Cups
You could argue that during one of those cups, they were nowhere near elite. They were an 8th seed and went to game 7 a few times. They only had 40 wins and 95 points that season.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I mean not in a Toews sense. But he would’ve easily gotten more if he went to FA.
For 7 years instead of 8. To match that he'd need 14.4M X 7 on the free market.

If someone offered that and he signed it I don't think anyone would talk about a discount, yet it's the same 100M retirement contract.

Reactions: dahrougem2

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You could argue that during one of those cups, they were nowhere near elite. They were an 8th seed and went to game 7 a few times. They only had 40 wins and 95 points that season.
They made some pretty big adds at the deadline when they knew that Doughty and Kopi were a cup worthy core. Avs never did that and potentially missed out on a couple chances by not adding needed pieces.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
They made some pretty big adds at the deadline when they knew that Doughty and Kopi were a cup worthy core. Avs never did that and potentially missed out on a couple chances by not adding needed pieces.
We missed out on cup chances due to everyone getting injured. The one year we lost to Dallas or Vegas (forget exactly), Mackinnon was hurt in the final game, and would have missed the rest of the playoffs. We were cooked anyways.

Last year was a depth issue, I'll give you that.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad