Recalled/Assigned: 2023-24 Sharks/Barracuda

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Time to fire McCarthy and have Grier bring in one of his own guys

AHL coaches being fired mid-season for performance is an incredibly rare occurrence, so if anyone is holding their breath on that one, I wouldn't..

If he was going to do that, it should've been in June.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
As in you think he'll be re-signed? Hopefully not lol...but even if he does, that's still a lot of open spots in the top-9 (basically all the spots other than Hertl, Couture, Eklund, and Granlund)
Kunin is a useful player especially if we can keep the cap hit on his next contract under 3. He's still only 25, can play every forward position, is a trusted penalty killer, physical, hard worker, respected in the room and scores at a 15-20 goal pace per 82 games. Unless some other team is willing to cough up multiple 2nds or maybe a 2nd+3rd i would keep him.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Kunin is a useful player especially if we can keep the cap hit on his next contract under 3. He's still only 25, can play every forward position, is a trusted penalty killer, physical, hard worker, respected in the room and scores at a 15-20 goal pace per 82 games. Unless some other team is willing to cough up multiple 2nds or maybe a 2nd+3rd i would keep him.
Fair enough, I guess those guys are good to have around during a rebuild.
AHL coaches being fired mid-season for performance is an incredibly rare occurrence, so if anyone is holding their breath on that one, I wouldn't..

If he was going to do that, it should've been in June.
Sorry, should have been more clear. I meant after this season is over* especially with the next wave of young guys hopefully on its way!

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Well, going back to transactions, Eetu Makiniemi has been recalled from Wichita (ECHL) back to the Barracuda.

He started two games for Wichita last weekend, allowing two goals in a win Friday night and then getting shelled Sunday night, allowing seven goals on 39 shots. He had no chance on a couple of them, but there were some pretty saveable goals. So, 1-1-0, 4.58 GAA, .875 SV% on the stat sheet.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Well, going back to transactions, Eetu Makiniemi has been recalled from Wichita (ECHL) back to the Barracuda.

He started two games for Wichita last weekend, allowing two goals in a win Friday night and then getting shelled Sunday night, allowing seven goals on 39 shots. He had no chance on a couple of them, but there were some pretty saveable goals. So, 1-1-0, 4.58 GAA, .875 SV% on the stat sheet.
Yikes. Do you think the Sharks should just sign a veteran 3rd goalie to a 2-way deal at this point? It sucks watching another Barracuda season potentially get derailed by goaltending.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Yikes. Do you think the Sharks should just sign a veteran 3rd goalie to a 2-way deal at this point? It sucks watching another Barracuda season potentially get derailed by goaltending.

It's enough that I'm wondering at this point if the injuries have derailed Makiniemi, but I'm not that concerned about the other two. Romanov stops shots well enough, but has other issues, most notably he's an awful passer. Chrona's last three outings have actually been pretty good for us, 91 saves on 96 shots.

I wouldn't say no if we got a good goalie with more of a track record, but that team has plenty of other problems.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Watching the Cuda the goaltending it pretty down the list of issues IMO. Discipline and DZ/NZ turnovers continue to be the big issue with them. The fact that it's the same issues with a significantly different lineup goes a long way in showing that the issues are related to the coaching staff.

That being said, goaltending coaching is an organization-wide issue. There hasn't been any accountability for the awful performances from the entire goalie group.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Watching the Cuda the goaltending it pretty down the list of issues IMO. Discipline and DZ/NZ turnovers continue to be the big issue with them. The fact that it's the same issues with a significantly different lineup goes a long way in showing that the issues are related to the coaching staff.

That being said, goaltending coaching is an organization-wide issue. There hasn't been any accountability for the awful performances from the entire goalie group.
We did get a new goaltending coach last year, and every single one of last years' goalies were not people he brought in. This year, we've added Blackwood and Romanov, with the former performing quite well and the latter not being a disappointment so far. Nabakov I think has been neutralized, so we have to see how Speer manages things.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
If the Sharks wanted a player like that, they would have kept Eyssimont.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If the Sharks wanted a player like that, they would have kept Eyssimont.
Kunin is much more of a known quantity with 50+ NHL goals in 300+ games vs. a guy who has yet to play a full season at 27. That's despite being more than a year younger than Eyssimont too. Eyssimont also doesn't kill penalties and is like a 5% shooter for his career.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Kunin is much more of a known quantity with 50+ NHL goals in 300+ games vs. a guy who has yet to play a full season at 27. That's despite being more than a year younger than Eyssimont too. Eyssimont also doesn't kill penalties and is like a 5% shooter for his career.

Plus his versatility to play any forward position and on any line, though granted it's not ideal playing him in the top 6 long term. He's good for a fill in.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Connor MacEachern to ECHL

The Cuda debuted a guy on a PTO this past weekend named Brett Kemp (I had to look it up because my brain refuses to remember his first name) and he's been a nice surprise. Two primary assists in two games. Him, Wiesblatt and Marek were our best line in the Colorado games.

Kemp looking good for us means MacEachern is probably going to have trouble finding his way back into the lineup. But it could also spell some trouble for Coe, who has really tailed off after a strong start to the season. He was a scratch on Saturday.

Fingers crossed Robins returns soon. For an injury that was called "day to day" at the start of the season, he's been out an awful long time.

I love rooting for the guys who make this team on tryouts.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

Someone coming off IR

I'd been concerned about Knyzhov for a while. This kind of cements it, I think - can't beat out the likes of MacDonald or Burroughs. Unfortunate, but after losing two years to injury, I think his future in the NHL is probably gone.

At least he's been paid fairly well.

• Wow

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I'd been concerned about Knyzhov for a while. This kind of cements it, I think - can't beat out the likes of MacDonald or Burroughs. Unfortunate, but after losing two years to injury, I think his future in the NHL is probably gone.

At least he's been paid fairly well.
I thought they should have taken the chance and waived him at the start of the season. I just thought that if he had any genuine hope of revitalizing his career he'd be better served getting consistent games and minutes in the lower-pressure AHL environment--you know, where he can just kind of get his fundamentals back in place, get back to working toward his potential, which was obviously seriously stunted.

It may be late but it would be nice if he goes unclaimed and can get to work on those things with the Barracuda now.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Knyzhov seems like a great kid and has been through a lot so I hope he recovers from this.

That said, let's not forget he was one of the many completely undeserving players who only ended up on the Sharks roster to begin with because Dumb & Dumber did such a crappy job managing the cap and drafting/developing players after 2016.

Knyzhov has played NHL games for the same reason the likes of Weatherby, Dahlen, Gadjovich, Bergmann, Yurtaikin, Leonard, Meloche, Jaros, Merkley, Pederson, Blichfeld, etc. did...right place, right time. Specifically, a team that had zero organizational depth or cap space to sign real players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad