Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Here's some wild speculation!

Erik Karlsson & Filip Bystedt from San Jose for Olen Zellweger, Nikita Nesterenko, Brock McGinn, Jakob Silfverberg and Colton White. Then you overpay slightly for Matt Dumba and voila!

Then all that is needed is an ace LD for the playoffs.

Alex Killorn - Trevor Zegras - Troy Terry
Adam Henrique - Mason McTavish - Ryan Strome
Frank Vatrano - Leo Carlsson - Jacob Perreault
Max Jones - Filip Bystedt - Sam Carrick
Pavol Regenda - Isac Lundeström - Brett Leason

Cam Fowler - Erik Karlsson
Jackson LaCombe - Matt Dumba
Robert Hägg - Jamie Drysdale
Urho Vaakanainen - Drew Helleson

John Gibson
Lukas Dostal

I don't know where to start.

Reactions: Kalv

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Erik Karlsson & Filip Bystedt from San Jose for Olen Zellweger, Nikita Nesterenko, Brock McGinn, Jakob Silfverberg and Colton White. Then you overpay slightly for Matt Dumba and voila!

John Gibson
Lukas Dostal

I’ll have what he’s having.

• Haha
Reactions: Yemeth and Kalv

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
So many things wrong here.

I created an "instant good" team ... and safrificed a bit of the future. Yes. But four seasons with Karlsson offsets the departure of Zellweger, I think. He's still a gamble. 1.5 retained as well.

I don't know where to start.

Not a Ducks fan, so don't shoot me to quick, hehe. Saw that I forgot Gudas, so NO Dumba. sorry.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
So...WHY can't you trade for Erik Karlsson? He might even work with Hägg. And then you create two strong defense pairings. So Gibson is happy.

Grinner

May 31, 2022

Jackson LaCombe - Radko Gudas

John Gibson
Lukas Dostal
Not happening. That's not good for the Sharks and EK wants a shot at playing for the cup

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So...WHY can't you trade for Erik Karlsson? He might even work with Hägg. And then you create two strong defense pairings. So Gibson is happy.

First off the timing is not good, Ducks are still another 1 to 2 years at least from contending. Also need a more shutdown Top 4D and not another OFD.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

John Gibson
Lukas Dostal
Why is Benny Hill theme playing in my head while reading this?

Karlsson would flat out retire if he's traded away from SJS finally but to Anaheim :laugh:

Ah, I was sceptic at first, but now that you mentioned trading for one of the highest paid players because they might fit well with a fringe NHLer and that actually might be genius

I'm being sarcastic, ofc. Problem is, I don't think you understand where Anaheim is in the rebuild and what Karlsson wants (winning). "Might as well work" is far far far far from enough reasoning for our management to even consider this.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Why is Benny Hill theme playing in my head while reading this?

Karlsson would flat out retire if he's traded away from SJS finally but to Anaheim :laugh:

Ah, I was sceptic at first, but now that you mentioned trading for one of the highest paid players because they might fit well with a fringe NHLer and that actually might be genius

I'm being sarcastic, ofc. Problem is, I don't think you understand where Anaheim is in the rebuild and what Karlsson wants (winning). "Might as well work" is far far far far from enough reasoning for our management to even consider this.

Sure, Karlsson might not want to be with you guys. But in the cap era that we exist in an influx of Killorn, Gudas, Karlsson, Leo, Bystedt (responsible NT player who is slow) and the removal of some defense last guys goes at least SOME distance towards in right direction.

And if you do nothing nw for a few seasons there's no point in promoting Zellweger or having Terry at what he will get. The young stars need some hope to avoid the lifelong trauma that might come with the last and next season.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
First off the timing is not good, Ducks are still another 1 to 2 years at least from contending. Also need a more shutdown Top 4D and not another OFD.

Point is Karlsson would be the ONLY defenseman who are allowed to cross the blu line. Is Killorn and Gudas here just for reaching the cap floor?

You now have McTavish, Leo, Helleson etc and Perreault on cheap ELC contracts. That's a huge advantage these days. It will be an opportunity LOST!

f***in' GO FOR IT, Orange County!!!

Rock'n roll arrived 70 years ago! Don't be afraid, it's not a pot!

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Not happening. That's not good for the Sharks and EK wants a shot at playing for the cup

He should think again. It's more noble to arrive at a lousy team and then making it better. Flower will benefit from it, too. Comb, Gudas, Drysdale know what to do. Make Gibson boss over these guys and you will be fine. Maybe add a good LD as well.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Point is Karlsson would be the ONLY defenseman who are allowed to cross the blu line. Is Killorn and Gudas here just for reaching the cap floor?

You now have McTavish, Leo, Helleson etc and Perreault on cheap ELC contracts. That's a huge advantage these days. It will be an opportunity LOST!

Erik Karlsson and Bystedt doesn’t turn this team into anything other than middle of the pack. Ends our rebuild prematurely and rushes prospects who aren’t ready.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

why would the sharks even entertain this idea? a 100 point defensemen and a recent 1st round pick from the 2022 draft, for one grade A prospect, an average prospect and THREE player/cap dumps. then suggesting we overpay for Dumba. adding Karlsson's contract and overpaying for Dumba while we still have Zegras and Terry to be re-signed is a bad idea

He should think again. It's more noble to arrive at a lousy team and then making it better. Flower will benefit from it, too. Comb, Gudas, Drysdale know what to do. Make Gibson boss over these guys and you will be fine. Maybe add a good LD as well.
oh jeez, just stop while you're behind lol

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Sure, Karlsson might not want to be with you guys. But in the cap era that we exist in an influx of Killorn, Gudas, Karlsson, Leo, Bystedt (responsible NT player who is slow) and the removal of some defense last guys goes at least SOME distance towards in right direction.

And if you do nothing nw for a few seasons there's no point in promoting Zellweger or having Terry at what he will get. The young stars need some hope to avoid the lifelong trauma that might come with the last and next season.
I respect you having put some thought into it but this seem very NHL 23-ish logic.

EK, as good as he is, gets this team nowhere (bubble playoff) which would mean we get to be even less spectacular LA Kings. That's not the way to go, plus even if we'd want him, getting him (him wanting to come here, plus trade price) is far too big of an obsticle by itself.

This is not the offseason to go for the stars. Young core needs to prove themselves more

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Killorn and Gudas are here as expensive veteran bridge roster layering. Anaheim is waiting on their prospects to essentially grow together. With the expectation that Leo will be top-6C for the Ducks, then the Ducks are waiting a few years for Leo to acclimate into an established top-6C. That aligns well with the blue line group movement.

Going Pro, blue liners
2022-23: RD Helleson (AHL)​
2023-24: LD LaCombe (NHL), LD Zellweger (AHL), LD Hinds (AHL), and LD Mintyukov (AHL)​
2024-25: RD Warren (AHL), RD Luneau (AHL), and possibly RD Moore (AHL).​

2025 off-season is when the org should considering trading for final pieces for a long playoff run.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
Killorn and Gudas are here as expensive veteran bridge roster layering. Anaheim is waiting on their prospects to essentially grow together. With the expectation that Leo will be top-6C for the Ducks, then the Ducks are waiting a few years for Leo to acclimate into an established top-6C. That aligns well with the blue line group movement.

Going Pro, blue liners
2022-23: RD Helleson (AHL)​
2023-24: LD LaCombe (NHL), LD Zellweger (AHL), LD Hinds (AHL), and LD Mintyukov (AHL)​
2024-25: RD Warren (AHL), RD Luneau (AHL), and possibly RD Moore (AHL).​

2025 off-season is when the org should considering trading for final pieces for a long playoff run.
Source? Why do you always post as if you know the exact plan?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Source? Why do you always post as if you know the exact plan?

You mean besides the reset rebuild, PV citing he wants to control the cap by always having talent in the system, and finishing last in the league this past season? My projection is based upon the timeline of a reset rebuild and who's signed/acquired. If things go well, 2025 summer is when the Ducks should be looking for the final pieces for a long playoff run.

The blueline list going pro is based on prospects being signed from college or AHL eligibility. For a CHL prospect to be eligible for the AHL, he must be 20 years old before Jan 1st of the incoming season. A CHL prospect under 20 years old can go to the NHL, but only stay in the NHL. Otherwise, that prospect will be sent back to their respective CHL team.

2022-23
We traded for and signed Helleson at the 2021-22 TDL. He played most of his season in the AHL in 2022-23. Helleson played three NHL games at the end of the season, playing 3rd pairing minutes.

2023-24
LaCombe was signed at the end of the 2022-23 season after his NCAA senior season ended. He was playing top-4 minutes in the couple of NHL games he debuted. The Athletic's Stephens shared the org has a spot for LaCombe to earn with the NHL club coming into this season.

Zell and Hinds are signed CHL guys drafted from the 2021 draft. Both turned 20 years old after Jan 1st. Hinds is a March birth while Zell was later in Sept. Zell is a 2x WHL d-man of the year and Hinds was recognized as the 2022-23 QMJHL defensive d-man. Both are going pro (AHL or NHL) this coming season.

Minty is a signed CHL prospect who turns 20 years old this Nov. He won the OHL d-man of the year for 2022-23. Not only is Minty eligible for the AHL, but his proved he's ready to make the jump with being recognized as the OHL d-man of the year. He and Zell are starting off in the AHL to learn defense, as identified by PV (at mid-season and after the season at McIlvane's video presser).

2024-25
Warren and Luneau are CHL guys who turn 20 years in in 2024. Warren is signed. We are waiting for Luneau to be signed, which should be a sure thing since he did win the 2022-23 QMJHL d-man of the year.

Moore is an NCAA prospect who has two years left to be signed. Obviously, Moore is not going pro this year since he isn't signed and was named as Captain of his NCAA team.

It takes time to be an established top-6C. Carlsson is no different, but he's been playing LW at the SHL level for the past two seasons. Ducks Asst GM Madden said he wants Carlsson to develop into a dominant, first-line center.

Lundestrom
=== 2018 Rd 1, 22nd OA ===
D+0, 2017-18: SHL (center)
D+1: NHL, AHL, SHL (center)
D+2: NHL, AHL (center)
D+3: HockeyAllsvenskan (Sweden's Men's 2nd tier), NHL (started at wing, back to center)
D+4: NHL (center, first full season in NHL)
D+5: NHL (center)

D+5 was last year, 2022-23. It appears injuries has affected Lundy's progress last year as it was a step backwards.

Zegras
=== 2019 Rd 1, 9th OA ===
D+0, 2018-19: USNTDP (Center)
D+1: Boston Univ (Center)
D+2: San Diego and Anaheim (first at wing and then at center)
D+3: Anaheim (Center)
D+4: Anaheim (Center)

D+4 was last year, 2022-23 season. Zegras was put on the wing as he struggled at center. He is still establishing himself as a 200 ft, top-6 center.

McTavish
=== 2021 Rd 1, 3rd OA ===
D+0, 2020-21: Olten (NL-B, Swiss Men's 2nd tier)
D+1: CHL (center), NHL (wing), and AHL (center)
D+2: Anaheim (first at wing and then at center)

D+2 was last year, 2022-23 season. McTavish faded around game 50. That could be due to having a long D+1 season with barely time to rest for a summer. McTavish isn't considered an established NHL top-6C, but a developing top-6C going into his D+3 season.

Carlsson
=== 2023 Rd 1, 2nd OA ===
D-1, 2021-22: SHL (LW), international Team Sweden (center)
D+0: SHL (LW), international Team Sweden (center)

D+0 was last year, 2022-23. Bringing in a youth at wing into a men's league seems like a common practice, which we did with Zegras and McTavish. Against his peers, Carlsson played center. The World Champions is the first time he played center against men. From the Athletic, a snippet from Ducks Asst GM Madden:

“He’s so calm yet so focused,” Madden said. “Aware of what’s going on the ice. Makes players around him better. And that will continue to happen because every level he played at this year, he was able to do that. Whether he was playing wing or was playing center at the world championships, he rose to that level to a degree that allowed him to be one of the best players in every instance.
“On top of that, he made his linemates better. That’s No. 1. That’s the most important part of his game that we see continue to allow him to grow into a dominant first-line center for us in the future.”

Veteran roster layering. Anaheim probably will be losing two, long time veterans in top-6 LW Rico and bottom-6 RW Silf. The only reliable vet on the blue line is Fowler. PV signed soon 34-year old, top-6 LW Killorn to a 4-year contract and 33-year old, RD Gudas to a 3-year contract. There will be leadership in the top-6 with Killorn for few years as well as a physical, defensive D with Gudas. I dunno if bringing up D Hagg is anything. I don't think we did much to vastly upgrade our blueline from last year to dissuade me from believing we're waiting on our blue line youths.

Similarly, PV brought back veteran talent to San Diego in C Agozzino and D Trevor Carrick. San Diego will be adding a lot more talent to its roster than Anaheim. There's a possibility that Carlsson could be playing center in San Diego. If that happens then here is the potential list of prospects going to San Diego this season:

Forward: C Carlsson, C Gaucher, LW/RW Pastujov
Defense: LD/RD Zellweger, LD/RD Hinds, LD Mintyukov
Goalie: Clang (well, he got five games in last year with the Gulls)

I this helps you understand the projected plan due to all the components and factors shared above. Even you can project what the Ducks will do. So far, I've been correct on my projections, which started at the 2021-22 TDL. It's fun.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018

Stroke GIFs | Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad