Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
We aren’t there yet. Strome will probably be at the end of his contract, before that happens.
Probably right… we are bound to pick up some untalented soft players via waivers this year… we don’t want to throw darts at near minimum salaries players with upside. Who wants to roll the dice on cheap guys from Europe, Boqvist, Sundsvik, Guryianov, Lemiuex, Zadina…. When we can pay waiver fees for old veterans heading to the AHL. Verbeek is that peeping tom salivating at the chance to pounce on tank talents.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Probably right… we are bound to pick up some untalented soft players via waivers this year… we don’t want to throw darts at near minimum salaries players with upside. Who wants to roll the dice on cheap guys from Europe, Boqvist, Sundsvik, Guryianov, Lemiuex, Zadina…. When we can pay waiver fees for old veterans heading to the AHL. Verbeek is that peeping tom salivating at the chance to pounce on tank talents.
Do you not find this exhausting?

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Instant gratification is a powerful thing.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Henrique-Carlsson-Terry
Zegras-McTavish-Killorn
Jones-Strome-Vatrano

Would like to see this top 9 tried

I like the lineup, though I feel it's more important long-term to try to get Z acclimated to playing at the pivot rather than having Strome effectively function as a CINO. Hope Cronin keeps him in the middle while challenging him to become a more complete player.

Also, potentially having Z-Carlsson-McT down the middle as your top 3 is sick. As you've already said, they have to figure out a way to acquire another dynamic wing so Terry's not out on an island as the lone creator (which I think is why you have Z out there to begin with)

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
With the players we have now. That offense should be able to score a lot of goals. It's about the defense now.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
A lot of gymnastics here to turn a poor first rounder into Sprong and Perreault and cite it as a positive. Who drafted Holland in the first place? Who traded a competent D for a forward who was scratched often by Coach Murray? The only thing that was good here was Kase. Perreault has all the signs of a bust.

Pushing picks/prospect forward isn't gymnastics, it's called historical fact. What started in 2009 still has a part in 2023 in Perreault.

Adding the "positive" spin to it was your own words. You gotta stop impressing what you do onto me. That's called lying.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Pushing picks/prospect forward isn't gymnastics, it's called historical fact. What started in 2009 still has a part in 2023 in Perreault.

Adding the "positive" spin to it was your own words. You gotta stop impressing what you do onto me. That's called lying.
"One of the things I missed (sic) about BM is his ability to push picks/prospects forward." Do you miss things that aren't positive?

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
What I'm surprised at just as much as anything is the lack of movement for tweeners to help San Diego. I know we have some prospects going pro, but they need more help IMO. I wish Priskie would have been re-signed.
San Diego needs a defensive/veteran RHD more than anything. Helleson and Profaca are the only RHDs on the team, and there is a chance Helleson isn’t even on the Gulls next year. Looking at the UFA list, Meloche, Welinski, and Bowey all could be solid options.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
San Diego needs a defensive/veteran RHD more than anything. Helleson and Profaca are the only RHDs on the team, and there is a chance Helleson isn’t even on the Gulls next year. Looking at the UFA list, Meloche, Welinski, and Bowey all could be solid options.
Pass on soft, defensive liable Welinski and Bowey. Maybe Meloche? Younger, bigger, more physical but slow footed. But at the AHL he is probably a solid top 4...

Went from being maxed and missing out on top Euro/NCAA UFAs to having too little contracts...

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
This might sound a little bit out there.. But dont sleep on Nesterenko.. I think with the right support.. He might be able to pot around 20 goals.. Hes got mad skill..
I'm kind of interested in what this guy's potential is. I certainly rank him and Regenda above Perreault and Tracey. All of them seem like boom-or-bust prospects, and Perreault + Tracey are both fast-tracking towards bust.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
What I'm surprised at just as much as anything is the lack of movement for tweeners to help San Diego. I know we have some prospects going pro, but they need more help IMO. I wish Priskie would have been re-signed.
Hopefully Verbeek gets to work on that soon. I know he has the Drysdale, Terry, and Zegras contracts to deal with…but we need some depth and grit added at some point.

Reactions: Duck Off

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'm kind of interested in what this guy's potential is. I certainly rank him and Regenda above Perreault and Tracey. All of them seem like boom-or-bust prospects, and Perreault + Tracey are both fast-tracking towards bust.

I think the org left our San Diego youth high and dry last year. Groulx being a 1C isn't ideal. Helleson didn't start playing better until we traded for vet MDZ, which we traded C O'Regan to acquire MDZ. The Gulls finished last in the league by 20 points!

Tracey and Perreault are complementary top-6 players, not like Terry, Zegras, or McTavish. That's why they were drafted at the bottom of the first round.

Reactions: Yemeth and lwvs84

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

I think we are a little harsh on those 2. San Diego was really bad last year. The year before Tracey had kind of a resurgence. He was near PPG through the first 20 games of the season.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I think we are a little harsh on those 2. San Diego was really bad last year. The year before Tracey had kind of a resurgence. He was near PPG through the first 20 games of the season.
They were put in a terrible situation and then they were both hurt off and on. It seems like PV has at last given them an environment in which they might develop a bit and I really hope they do. We could use some scoring depth that we don't have to pay 4-5M per year for.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Here's some wild speculation!

Erik Karlsson & Filip Bystedt from San Jose for Olen Zellweger, Nikita Nesterenko, Brock McGinn, Jakob Silfverberg and Colton White. Then you overpay slightly for Matt Dumba and voila!

Then all that is needed is an ace LD for the playoffs.

Alex Killorn - Trevor Zegras - Troy Terry
Adam Henrique - Mason McTavish - Ryan Strome
Frank Vatrano - Leo Carlsson - Jacob Perreault
Max Jones - Filip Bystedt - Sam Carrick
Pavol Regenda - Isac Lundeström - Brett Leason

Cam Fowler - Erik Karlsson
Jackson LaCombe - Radko Gudas
Robert Hägg - Jamie Drysdale
Urho Vaakanainen - Drew Helleson

John Gibson
Lukas Dostal

Last edited:

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Here's some wild speculation!

Erik Karlsson & Filip Bystedt from San Jose for Olen Zellweger, Nikita Nesterenko, Brock McGinn, Jakob Silfverberg and Colton White. Then you overpay slightly for Matt Dumba and voila!

Then all that is needed is an ace LD for the playoffs.

Alex Killorn - Trevor Zegras - Troy Terry
Adam Henrique - Mason McTavish - Ryan Strome
Frank Vatrano - Leo Carlsson - Jacob Perreault
Max Jones - Filip Bystedt - Sam Carrick
Pavol Regenda - Isac Lundeström - Brett Leason

Cam Fowler - Erik Karlsson
Jackson LaCombe - Matt Dumba
Robert Hägg - Jamie Drysdale
Urho Vaakanainen - Drew Helleson

John Gibson
Lukas Dostal
So many things wrong here.