Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

Sicard continues to lose credibility. Maybe Verbeek looks at Kane (though I really I doubt it). But there is no way Kane looks at the rebuilding ducks. At this point, Kane has much better options even if its a "show me" deal with a contender.

Makes no sense at all.

Separately, what do people here think about Derek Forbort as a stop gap option on D? I think Boston would basically give him away and he only has one year/$3M AAV left on his deal ($3.5M actual dollars).

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Sicard continues to lose credibility. Maybe Verbeek looks at Kane (though I really I doubt it). But there is no way Kane looks at the rebuilding ducks. At this point, Kane has much better options even if its a "show me" deal with a contender.

Makes no sense at all.

Separately, what do people here think about Derek Forbort as a stop gap option on D? I think Boston would basically give him away and he only has one year/$3M AAV left on his deal ($3.5M actual dollars).
Forbort is like the inverse of Shattenkirk in terms of what they bring on the ice. He has size and could help on the PK. Just wish he was RHD. We've got plenty of lefties at the moment, even if none play like him.

Maybe could be a good partner for Drysdale? Although he'd probably be playing higher in the lineup than he should.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I like forbot as an option if we can't get Soucy. I see him partnered with Drysdale on the second pair. Then target Mayfield in UFA to play with Fowler.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We need a lot more support on D than at F. The offense will improve with a more solid blue line. We have the 2ndOA and hopefully some guys from SD who can fill in the middle six at F, then the following summer can look at some potential targets to improve the Top 6 and give Zegras, McTavish, Terry, and 2ndOA support.

Also, pass on Kane. Have seen enough of him, he will be 35 yo with just having hip surgery.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We need a lot more support on D than at F. The offense will improve with a more solid blue line. We have the 2ndOA and hopefully some guys from SD who can fill in the middle six at F, then the following summer can look at some potential targets to improve the Top 6 and give Zegras, McTavish, Terry, and 2ndOA support.

Also, pass on Kane. Have seen enough of him, he will be 35 yo with just having hip surgery.
Truthfully, Kane hasn't been that good outside of his niche for awhile now.

I could see him being a mercenary on a team that's good enough to carry him at even strength. Carolina, where they have everything but finishing, seems like a hockey fit. The Rangers certainly weren't it and I don't think the Ducks will be at this stage.

He's a "vet" and stuff but you can get an over the hill mediocre player to just be a guy in the room with way less financial risk than Kane if that's what you want.

Erik Johnson, Alex Killorn, and Lars Eller are Cup winners who will be lying around this summer just to name some examples, and they can preach a more well-rounded game than Kane can.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I like forbot as an option if we can't get Soucy. I see him partnered with Drysdale on the second pair. Then target Mayfield in UFA to play with Fowler.

I hope i'm wrong, but I think Soucy is a pipe dream for the ducks. And while he'd be a nice upgrade, I'm not sure that he's the type of guy the ducks should be targeting - he's going to get a lot of $$ and a lot of term. Ducks are better off finding guys who offer a short term bridge to the young guys. I think there will be decent trade options out there - Forbort or Alec Martinez come to mind. There will be others.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010

Makes no sense at all.
You have to have credibility in the first place to lose it.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
I don’t have Twitter, but what’s the backstory on Sicard? Is he in the ‘know’ at all with the Ducks? Seems like he gets made fun of around here a ton
I don't know his whole background, but as far as being "in the know," he's on par with us on this board. But to be fair, nobody is "in the know" with the Ducks.

From my perspective, he seems like a smart guy, but in a very snobby way. Like he wants everyone to think he's smart.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I don't know his whole background, but as far as being "in the know," he's on par with us on this board. But to be fair, nobody is "in the know" with the Ducks.

From my perspective, he seems like a smart guy, but in a very snobby way. Like he wants everyone to think he's smart.
He started running the old SBNation Ducks site years ago. If I recall he was deep into analytics and took then as gospel which tended to lead to some hot takes. I even think he admitted he wasn't even a Ducks fan but I am not sure if that is accurate.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
He started running the old SBNation Ducks site years ago. If I recall he was deep into analytics and took then as gospel which tended to lead to some hot takes. I even think he admitted he wasn't even a Ducks fan but I am not sure if that is accurate.

I used to frequent SBNation's Ducks site, but can't recall either Sicard or Rudolf. They must have been after Jen Neale stepped down from managing it.

What I really relished was their hard stance on analytics being trumped up by guests scouts on their podcast like Mitch Brown. But once all those guest scouts interviews were done, they went right back into their old ways.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I did not see a lot of games end of last year, but what's the current hypothetical outlook for the Ducks?

Let's say Rico and Gibby out:

Fantilli(?)-Zegras-Strome
Jones-McTavish-Terry
Nesterenko-Lundestrom - X
X - Groulx - Silfverberg

Fowler - X
LaCombe - Drysdale
Benoit - X

Dostal
X

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I did not see a lot of games end of last year, but what's the current hypothetical outlook for the Ducks?

Jones-McTavish-Terry
X - Groulx - Silfverberg

Fowler - X
LaCombe - Drysdale
Benoit - X

Dostal
X

I prefer Terry with Zegras, and wouldn't trade Henrique until TD. Give the kids as good a season as possible.

Henrique - Zegras - Terry
Vatrano - McTavish - Strome
Nesterenko - Lundeström - Regenda
Jones - Groulx - Silfver

Fowler - x
x - Drysdale
LaCombe - Helleson
Benoit

Reactions: Kalv and lwvs84

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I prefer Terry with Zegras, and wouldn't trade Henrique until TD. Give the kids as good a season as possible.

Jones - Groulx - Silfver

Fowler - x
x - Drysdale
LaCombe - Helleson
Benoit
I'll be happy if those x aren't Shattenkirk, the bottom 3 D are LaCombe, Helleson, and Benoit (LaCombe can play either side if Helleson isn't ready, Benoit and Helleson can play bottom pair if LaCombe and Drysdale actually work well) and 1-2 adds that can play defense (preferably physical D)

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Jones-McTavish-Terry
X - Groulx - Silfverberg

Fowler - X
LaCombe - Drysdale
Benoit - X

Dostal
X

I would hope Verbeek has a replacement for Rico. I am not sure if the 2ndOA will play in the NHL next season. If it’s Carlsson then yes, if it’s Fantili think he will go pro but get some games in SD first.

Jones - Groulx - Silfver

Fowler - x
x - Drysdale
LaCombe - Helleson
Benoit

Don’t forget, we have McGinn also. Considering where Pittsburgh ended up the end of the season , feel better about that trade lol.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Jones - Groulx - Silfver

Fowler - x
x - Drysdale
LaCombe - Helleson
Benoit
Agreed about Rico, just guessing at this point.

I forgot to include Vatrano. You could add the #2 pick in your lineup if we go that route (instead of sending back or to Gulls)

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Agreed about Rico, just guessing at this point.

I forgot to include Vatrano. You could add the #2 pick in your lineup if we go that route (instead of sending back or to Gulls)

Dude has a career season on a horrible team and you forget him? Pffffft. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Jones - Groulx - Silfver

Fowler - x
x - Drysdale
LaCombe - Helleson
Benoit

Curious as to why LaCombe is put on the third line. He was already playing top-4 minutes in the last two games of the season whereas Helleson was playing 12-13 minutes in the last three games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad