Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Dude has a career season on a horrible team and you forget him? Pffffft. Lol

Vatrano had a career season in points with 41 points, but also career season in plus/minus rating of -29. To put that plus/minus into perspective, Terry and Rico were -8 rating last year. McTavish, a 19-year old turned 20 in January, had a -19 rating and has similar OZ starts to Vatrano. (source: hockey reference, just scroll lower to find possession numbers )

DaGeneral

Sponsor
Apr 15, 2012
Zegras will probably come in around here, too (assuming he takes a long term deal).

Yup. I think it’ll push Zegras into the 8.5-8.75 territory. He’s been better and I’m guessing his agent is pushing for a deal as a center.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
But isn’t he telling the truth? Albeit a bit snarky.
No, the idea that PV is lying when he says things that don't align with people's predictions/outlooks isn't the truth, it's just a way people cope with uncertainty and the difficulty of reconciling superficially inconsistent things. It's the mark of a pathetic mindset and to present it with unearned confidence/patronization like Sicard did is shitty. He's a shitty guy.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
No, the idea that PV is lying when he says things that don't align with people's predictions/outlooks isn't the truth, it's just a way people cope with uncertainty and the difficulty of reconciling superficially inconsistent things. It's the mark of a pathetic mindset and to present it with unearned confidence/patronization like Sicard did is shitty. He's a shitty guy.
It's also wrought with false pedantry and putting words into people's mouths. The report that Seravalli gave us was that Gibson's camp had said that "he wouldn't mind being traded", which may well be a word-for-word transcription of what was said in internal conversations. It's entirely imaginable that it literally means what it says, that if a trade were to emerge Gibby wouldn't nix it, like he might have in years prior.

If that's the case, and Verbeek says he's not actively looking to trade Gibson, then nobody should be taking Seravalli's scoop as saying that Gibby requested a trade. There's a world of difference between those two statements, and Sicard, the cockroach that he is, is wilfully disregarding that.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I'm really curious where Z ends up. The length and dollar amount is going to be telling. I really hope he just signs up for 8 years and shows us all he's in for the long haul. Overpay him a bit, I don't care, we need to lock this guy up. As soon as the team gets some D that can actually defend and effectively complete breakout passes and/or skate the puck out our young forwards are going to explode offensively.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I know I'm very much in the minority, but if we didn't sign Zegras long-term and he eventually left, I wouldn't be heartbroken.

• Haha
Reactions: MMC

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
I know I'm very much in the minority, but if we didn't sign Zegras long-term and he eventually left, I wouldn't be heartbroken.
why? he's one of the most exciting players the Ducks have ever had and he's put up back-to-back 60+ point seasons on some awful teams, I'd be mega bummed if he left right now and even more so if he left in a few years after he almost certainly IMO puts up a few PPG seasons in the upcoming years.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Zegras has helped turn heads towards Anaheim with his skill. He has been a player to really energize the organization on and off the ice. He actually made the games somewhat watchable, even for the train wrecks they were.

I will be beyond annoyed if Zegras is not locked up long term with Anaheim in the coming weeks. That will be Verbeek’s ultimate first failure as GM for me. We talk about the potential of the 2ndOA. But Zegras put up back to back 60+ point seasons, in his first two full seasons as a 21/22yo, on a garbage team, which was poorly coached and executed. No one in his draft class did that, and all of them were on better teams at the time.

Hopefully Cronin can bring the best out of him, and we have not seen his full potential, far from it.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
You like losing top line forwards for nothing?
Sometimes.

I think fans look at this entirely the wrong way. The idea of "losing X for nothing!" seems really scary, but that's just loss-averse bias. From the day you draft a player, you've only ever had them until they were eligible for UFA. You're not "losing" them by letting them go, you never had them from that day on to begin with.

I'm happy to ride out the surplus value from his RFA years, but once he hits UFA, it's minimally different from signing an outside UFA. I'm not sure I want to pay market value for the type of player he is. Maybe I'll change my mind if he grows as a player over the next few years, or if he's willing to sign at a discount.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
. But Zegras put up back to back 60+ point seasons, in his first two full seasons as a 21/22yo, on a garbage team, which was poorly coached and executed. No one in his draft class did that, and all of them were on better teams at the time.

That's technically true, but we both know you worded it very carefully to create an ad hoc category that only fits Zegras. Hughes put up 56 points in 49 games as a 20yo then 99 in his first full season at 21.

As of right now, that's all you get from Zegras. A raw point total (and some media grabbing highlights). Partially because the Ducks were bad and forced him into service earlier than some of the other picks.

He's a C in name only, winning only 41% of his faceoffs career and usually giving up defensive responsibilities to a veteran wing. You can only trust him on one end of the ice, he's protected to an absurd degree (73% offensive zone starts).

I don't know if I want to outbid 31 other teams for that player's services in his UFA years. Point totals and name recognition both tend to be overpriced on the market.

Now, before people get all internetty about this, here's a list of things i did not say:

1) I hate Trevor Zegras
2) I don't want Trevor Zegras on this team right now
3) There are no circumstances under which I would be ok extending Zegras
4) There's no chance that Zegras improves on the other aspects of his game and becomes a more complete player
5) There's no chance that he becomes even better within his current skill set and becomes one of the leagues absolute top offensive forwards to such a degree that it even more outweighs his downsides.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
1) I hate Trevor Zegras
2) I don't want Trevor Zegras on this team right now
3) There are no circumstances under which I would be ok extending Zegras
4) There's no chance that Zegras improves on the other aspects of his game and becomes a more complete player
5) There's no chance that he becomes even better within his current skill set and becomes one of the leagues absolute top offensive forwards to such a degree that it even more outweighs his downsides.
Wow, I can't believe you said all of these things word for word about Trevor Zegras with no other context or qualifiers.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That's technically true, but we both know you worded it very carefully to create an ad hoc category that only fits Zegras. Hughes put up 56 points in 49 games as a 20yo then 99 in his first full season at 21.

As of right now, that's all you get from Zegras. A raw point total (and some media grabbing highlights). Partially because the Ducks were bad and forced him into service earlier than some of the other picks.

He's a C in name only, winning only 41% of his faceoffs career and usually giving up defensive responsibilities to a veteran wing. You can only trust him on one end of the ice, he's protected to an absurd degree (73% offensive zone starts).
You make good points, which is why I am hoping Cronin can bring out more in Zegras. I saw the potential at times, he was hovering around a PPG average at times, and then let it slip away. Sure, can fault Eakins, the PP, the roster, but he has to take some accountability.

I don’t expect him to put up Jack Hughes numbers, and I don’t expect him to be our best player, heck not even 2nd or 3rd in the next 1-2 years. But he is part of the young core, that the Ducks need to build around. He has been good for the organization because of his flashy play and personality, which makes him very marketable. But I like to also see him be more responsible on and off the ice.

Reactions: lwvs84 and KyleJRM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad