Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XI: Trade Deadline March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
They were also very strong on the puck, and Bergeron at least was extremely strong on his skates. Both guys took a beating and wouldn't lose possession. I don't think Poitras is that guy, not even close, but I also think it's unfair to him to make the comparisons.
Matt is a smart playmaker but he needs to learn when to move pucks to lessen the beating his body takes.He trys to lug it everytime and you just can't in this league cause they are to good now.Anyhow if the Bruins find a top C over summer or whenever it will create a logjam and good bet somebody is going.

Reactions: BTO and TD Charlie

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Dallas has two really good center prospects that would be worth taking a chance on one of them, if the price is right. I am talking about Logan Stankoven and Mavrik Bourque. The Stars have Hintz, Sequin, Faksa, Johnston and Benn already that can play C.
Would be a dream

Dallas is really good at drafting

Reactions: Gordoff

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Ullmark for a 1st +

1st, Debrusk, Merkulov (they need centers) for Hanifin

Gryz for a pick and flipped for a bottom six forward with toughness

Focus on the 1C in the summer
I like this plan. I don't think we're a serious enough contender to warrant hoarding both goalies. Should look to maximize value on Ullmark from a desparate team, which there are a couple currently.

I wonder if the Oilers would think about Ullmark for RNH 1 for 1. Similar age, similar cap hit. Both players are a nice-to-have surplus on their current team but fill a big hole on the other.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Honestly think the team should really just find some depth at the deadline. Trade Gryz and Debrusk if it works. Keep the high picks and prospects we have. Hard to justify trading Merkulov and Lysell without really getting a chance. Lohrei, Beecher and Poitras need to stay as well. Only caveat would be if you could get a guy like Hanifin or a top Centre but odds of that are slim. Debrusk and a second ain't getting Hanifin

On Dom‘s podcast last night he stressed, a few times, his opinion that any moves they make at the deadline will be with an eye toward the future.

In other words, no rentals, but moves could still be made.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Anyone else wishing we traded Debrusk for Dylan Strome back when they were both struggling?
Absolutely. Hell, I would've traded DeBrusk for Sam Bennett. I'd rather have the guy who needed a change of scenery and could be a 40-50 point Center who plays his ass off.

Gryz for a pick and flipped for a bottom six forward with toughness
I think trading Gryz might be easier said than done. I don't think he has much of a market, unfortunately.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Chris Kelly's first full NHL season he put up 0.37 ppg at 25 years old. Poitras ended this season at 0.45 ppg at 19 years old, albeit his season was cut short. There's still a lot of offensive growth there.
Chris Pelosi turns 19 next week to give this some sort of perspective. We don’t normally evaluate our prospects at the NHL level at 19 years old.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I like this plan. I don't think we're a serious enough contender to warrant hoarding both goalies. Should look to maximize value on Ullmark from a desparate team, which there are a couple currently.

I wonder if the Oilers would think about Ullmark for RNH 1 for 1. Similar age, similar cap hit. Both players are a nice-to-have surplus on their current team but fill a big hole on the other.
First Ullmark has to waive to go to Edmonton, if he does one for one I do not see happening. Bruins would have to add, how much is debatable. I would make a bigger deal, include DeBrusk and get Fogele and ask for a pick from Edmonton.

A year and a quarter of Ullmark and 20 games of DeBrusk for a signed RNH and Fogele is a good deal.

That said I would still move DeBrusk for Kunin and let San Jose get what they can for DeBrusk. Kunin is RFA and will probably top out at 10 goals 25 points but he hits everything that moves and is good defensively.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
First Ullmark has to waive to go to Edmonton, if he does one for one I do not see happening. Bruins would have to add, how much is debatable. I would make a bigger deal, include DeBrusk and get Fogele and ask for a pick from Edmonton.

A year and a quarter of Ullmark and 20 games of DeBrusk for a signed RNH and Fogele is a good deal.
There’s no earthly reason for Edmonton to do this.

And don’t forget RNH has to waive to go to Boston too.

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Chris Pelosi turns 19 next week to give this some sort of perspective. We don’t normally evaluate our prospects at the NHL level at 19 years old.
In general, it is pretty rare for a player to play regularly in the NHL under 21 years old. And if one does, they are a special talent that is very likely to have a very long and good career. Off the top of my head, only Bruins I can remember recently to do that are Bergy, Pasta, McAvoy, Lucic, & Poitras.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
In general, it is pretty rare for a player to play regularly in the NHL under 21 years old. And if one does, they are a special talent that is very likely to have a very long and good career. Off the top of my head, only Bruins I can remember recently to do that are Bergy, Pasta, McAvoy, Lucic, & Poitras.
Carlo

Reactions: Bodit9

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Carlo debuted at 19, but he turned 20 about a month later.

Reactions: Bodit9

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Seguin too, but being a #2 pick helped with that a bit.

Reactions: BTO and Bodit9

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Chris Kelly's first full NHL season he put up 0.37 ppg at 25 years old. Poitras ended this season at 0.45 ppg at 19 years old, albeit his season was cut short. There's still a lot of offensive growth there.

I hear ya, there is just a jump from where Poitras is at to #2C and we are talking about floors. What makes Poitras a bit unique is that mentally he is already a pro, and it's really hard to project how many more levels there are there. He will obviously build up some strength, but it's unclear if that will just help his ability to survive or his ability to play. I'm not really trying to disagree strongly, just being cautious after penciling in every prospect since Cameron Mann into the top six some day. Playing early is a great sign. But, there are plenty of Tyler Myers stories out there, too.

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
I hear ya, there is just a jump from where Poitras is at to #2C and we are talking about floors. What makes Poitras a bit unique is that mentally he is already a pro, and it's really hard to project how many more levels there are there. He will obviously build up some strength, but it's unclear if that will just help his ability to survive or his ability to play. I'm not really trying to disagree strongly, just being cautious after penciling in every prospect since Cameron Mann into the top six some day. Playing early is a great sign. But, there are plenty of Tyler Myers stories out there, too.
Sure, it's fine to be cautious but he is also in a pretty rare class and I think some people are underselling his potential a bit. I suspect he could be a 0.60 ppg 2C in 2 or 3 years and then who knows from there assuming his trajectory goes as expected.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Sure, it's fine to be cautious but he is also in a pretty rare class and I think some people are underselling his potential a bit. I suspect he could be a 0.60 ppg 2C in 2 or 3 years and then who knows from there assuming his trajectory goes as expected.

I wouldn't be shocked if he was a Craig Janney or even a Marc Savard. And I wouldn't be shocked if he kind of stalled out at a lower level. Just hard to project guys that rely so much on their IQ.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
Agreed.

As much as I’d kill to be a GM, I’d probably suck at it because I’d make about 60 trades a season due to my impulsivity.

lol
I feel ya there. I'd be the same way. I would have trade a few of the players on the team a long time ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad