Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XI: Trade Deadline March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
I wouldn't be shocked if he was a Craig Janney or even a Marc Savard. And I wouldn't be shocked if he kind of stalled out at a lower level. Just hard to project guys that rely so much on their IQ.
I'd be pretty ecstatic if he had a career like Janney or Savard. I guess I don't see why he would stall at a lower level since he just had a pretty successful NHL year.

Reactions: Gordoff

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Could be worth keeping an eye with the KHL season winding down.

After countless deadline buys and all-in moves have left the Bruins with a cupboard that’s a tad more barren than most around the National Hockey League, Don Sweeney and the Bruins know they’re going to have to get a bit creative and look high and low when it comes to the constant replenishing of the club’s pipeline.

That quest has shifted the Bruins’ attention to the second best pro league in the world, the KHL, and seen the Bruins mentioned about those who have set their sights on Russian scorer Maxim Tsyplakov.

When it comes to Tsyplakov, the current belief is that his NHL decision will be following the conclusion of Spartak Moscow’s season. The KHL season is set to conclude on Feb. 26, with the playoffs set to get underway three days later. Spartak Moscow has already qualified for the Gagarin Cup Playoffs, too, meaning that Tsyplakov’s decision won’t come before March.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
On Dom‘s podcast last night he stressed, a few times, his opinion that any moves they make at the deadline will be with an eye toward the future.

In other words, no rentals, but moves could still be made.
Also said:

-Lohrei will be better than Hanifin in 3 years so do not move him for Hanifin. Also we don’t really need Hanifin, he’d prefer a couple of crease clearers on the bottom pair. Middleton was brought up due to him being under contract next season.

-nobody is going to overpay for Ullmark (which is something I’ve been of the belief of for awhile). In my opinion there are too many alternatives and he’s 30 with an injury history. Also hasn’t played 50 regular season games in a year yet. You won’t get nothing for him but I can tell you for a fact they’re not getting multiple 1sts or a 1st++

-Poitras is an incredibly hard worker, 1C potential exists there

Tons of other good nuggets in the video, give it a watch if you haven’t yet people. It was about an hour and a half and it flew by!

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

After countless deadline buys and all-in moves have left the Bruins with a cupboard that’s a tad more barren than most around the National Hockey League, Don Sweeney and the Bruins know they’re going to have to get a bit creative and look high and low when it comes to the constant replenishing of the club’s pipeline.

That quest has shifted the Bruins’ attention to the second best pro league in the world, the KHL, and seen the Bruins mentioned about those who have set their sights on Russian scorer Maxim Tsyplakov.

When it comes to Tsyplakov, the current belief is that his NHL decision will be following the conclusion of Spartak Moscow’s season. The KHL season is set to conclude on Feb. 26, with the playoffs set to get underway three days later. Spartak Moscow has already qualified for the Gagarin Cup Playoffs, too, meaning that Tsyplakov’s decision won’t come before March.

Woop my new binky to replace MIA Koko / Zino. Does he have a nickname?

Last edited:

MillerTime29Bombs

Feb 12, 2023
Woburn
First Ullmark has to waive to go to Edmonton, if he does one for one I do not see happening. Bruins would have to add, how much is debatable. I would make a bigger deal, include DeBrusk and get Fogele and ask for a pick from Edmonton.

A year and a quarter of Ullmark and 20 games of DeBrusk for a signed RNH and Fogele is a good deal.

That said I would still move DeBrusk for Kunin and let San Jose get what they can for DeBrusk. Kunin is RFA and will probably top out at 10 goals 25 points but he hits everything that moves and is good defensively.
Kunin would win the 7th player award here in the remaining 20 games. Kid plays body every shift

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Also said:

-Lohrei will be better than Hanifin in 3 years so do not move him for Hanifin. Also we don’t really need Hanifin, he’d prefer a couple of crease clearers on the bottom pair. Middleton was brought up due to him being under contract next season.

-nobody is going to overpay for Ullmark (which is something I’ve been of the belief of for awhile). In my opinion there are too many alternatives and he’s 30 with an injury history. Also hasn’t played 50 regular season games in a year yet. You won’t get nothing for him but I can tell you for a fact they’re not getting multiple 1sts or a 1st++

-Poitras is an incredibly hard worker, 1C potential exists there

Tons of other good nuggets in the video, give it a watch if you haven’t yet people. It was about an hour and a half and it flew by!
double digit goals and 40 ish pts? Def wouldn't trade him and I hope he gets there.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I would rather keep Boqvist and Richard over Lysell and Merk showed nothing when he was here, I was not impressed especially after the build up , Beecher should be up and Brazeau sent down nice story but...........
You can't call up a player like Merkulov who plays top line in Providence and bring him up and use him like he was and as little as he was and except results

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
You can't call up a player like Merkulov who plays top line in Providence and bring him up and use him like he was and as little as he was and except results
If he was a top line player he already would have played top line, you paly to prove yourself, I saw nothing from him that says top line, maybe in the future but not now........

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
At the Seattle home game it was noticeable how the Bruins seemed to be knocking the Kraken all over the place - rocking them not just making contact

We looked up and they were top 3 in league in hits

On way home reading the game bread the usual they are soft we need to sign Thor & Hulk blah blah

I readily admit they need someone like Middleton on third pair but the soft stuff I’m not really buying

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If he was a top line player he already would have played top line, you paly to prove yourself, I saw nothing from him that says top line, maybe in the future but not now........
I mean he's 3rd in the AHL in scoring. His brief stint with the team didn't put him anywhere close to a scoring role. Using that as the basis for your evaluation is pretty narrow minded.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
He was not going to be used on top line here yet but he needs to be playing with skill players, get pp time etc. Not getting shifts where the goal is do no harm.
His few games and minutes are not fair to evaluate him

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Woop my new binky Koko / Zino. Does he have a nickname?
Mr. never play in the NHL.........Supposedly he is physical but is he Kaspuritis physical or physical by normal KHL standards. Everything I have read so far indicates bottom six potential, if he can give them 15 goals and have a legit mean streak they need to get him here.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Yeh

Merkulov got garbage from Monty

If they gave him 15 games in October centering Zacha & Pastrnak he’d have double digit points

Plays 200 feet and has high end hockey sense - passes well and shot great to elite

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
At the Seattle home game it was noticeable how the Bruins seemed to be knocking the Kraken all over the place - rocking them not just making contact

We looked up and they were top 3 in league in hits

On way home reading the game bread the usual they are soft we need to sign Thor & Hulk blah blah

I readily admit they need someone like Middleton on third pair but the soft stuff I’m not really buying
Softest team in 50 years of being a Bruins fan. O (ZERO) hits from the D the other night. I don't think I ever played in a no hitting men's league where the D had no hits. That is disgraceful.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I mean he's 3rd in the AHL in scoring. His brief stint with the team didn't put him anywhere close to a scoring role. Using that as the basis for your evaluation is pretty narrow minded.
yeh pretty unfair

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

What is the date that a player has to be signed to be playoff eligible?

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
A lot of us could learn quite a bit from Dom in this video.
If you click on (Watch On YouTube) it will play. He talks about
Hanifin, Jake DeBrusk, LACK of Bruin toughness especially in
front of their own net. It's a must listen IMO.

I watched and there was quite a bit of good stuff. Kinda wished the host let Dom talk more and go into some more depth on some of the players and the cap and what the Bruins are looking at doing over the next year or two. The host kinda got on to a long tangent trying to defend the Bruins 1st round 2015 draft picks for like 15 minutes which was a slog and illogical but other than that, it was a good listen.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Softest team in 50 years of being a Bruins fan. O (ZERO) hits from the D the other night. I don't think I ever played in a no hitting men's league where the D had no hits. That is disgraceful.

Ladies and gentlemen, your Boston Bruins. ^

Redirected from the Out Of Town thread, per discussion of "rookie sensation" Matt Rempe:

Well, he's getting challenged, not the other way round, at least from what I hear.

Tell me true: Wouldn't a fair number of grizzled old Bruins fans welcome a fellow like this with open arms? He's one guy, but NYR has Trouba and others.

The Bruins have Trent Frederic. That's it.

It's embarrassing as f*ck. They're a bathetic (look it up) shell of the club many NHL fans still believe them to be.

Yes, they work hard most nights, even if they punch out after 40 minutes.

Wimp Central.

They can't -- or won't -- even clear out their own crease. Let Ullmark and Swayman tend to that.

Whether "Sweenes" adds a smidge of (groan) "snarl and bite," don't expect this team to magically transform into anything other than a reflection of the guy in the head office. One or two physical additions would be great, but one or two guys can't establish team-wide toughness. It doesn't work that way.

Said again: Never the hammer. Ever the nail.

(Copywrite 2024, GordonHowe. All rights reserved.) :help::baghead::lightningbolt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad