Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XI: Trade Deadline March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I mean he's 3rd in the AHL in scoring. His brief stint with the team didn't put him anywhere close to a scoring role. Using that as the basis for your evaluation is pretty narrow minded.
I hope the bring him to satisfy your needs, I also hope you are right about him, and that would make you smarter than me.........but I don't think so.

• Haha
Reactions: Gordoff

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
At the Seattle home game it was noticeable how the Bruins seemed to be knocking the Kraken all over the place - rocking them not just making contact

We looked up and they were top 3 in league in hits

On way home reading the game bread the usual they are soft we need to sign Thor & Hulk blah blah

I readily admit they need someone like Middleton on third pair but the soft stuff I’m not really buying
Hulk AND Thor?
Dang...

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Could be worth keeping an eye with the KHL season winding down.

After countless deadline buys and all-in moves have left the Bruins with a cupboard that’s a tad more barren than most around the National Hockey League, Don Sweeney and the Bruins know they’re going to have to get a bit creative and look high and low when it comes to the constant replenishing of the club’s pipeline.

That quest has shifted the Bruins’ attention to the second best pro league in the world, the KHL, and seen the Bruins mentioned about those who have set their sights on Russian scorer Maxim Tsyplakov.

When it comes to Tsyplakov, the current belief is that his NHL decision will be following the conclusion of Spartak Moscow’s season. The KHL season is set to conclude on Feb. 26, with the playoffs set to get underway three days later. Spartak Moscow has already qualified for the Gagarin Cup Playoffs, too, meaning that Tsyplakov’s decision won’t come before March.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but:

The NHL and KHL have an agreement not to sign players under contract with the other league. KHL players become free agents on May 1, so in other words, can NOT sign before then.

However,

When the war began in Ukraine, the NHL suspended that agreement but ordered all NHL clubs to cease "contact with their KHL counterparts and player agents."

And thanks for the kind words.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
At the Seattle home game it was noticeable how the Bruins seemed to be knocking the Kraken all over the place - rocking them not just making contact

We looked up and they were top 3 in league in hits

On way home reading the game bread the usual they are soft we need to sign Thor & Hulk blah blah

I readily admit they need someone like Middleton on third pair but the soft stuff I’m not really buying
There were a couple forwards who had decent hits, but I did not see what you saw at all that particular night. Good, intense game but we were not "rocking" guys (to my eyes). I believe our D had a grand total of 0 hits that night. McAvoy took a run at a guy and missed so nothing credited, and I thought Wotherspoon had a hit or two.

The loss against the Canucks saw our D outhit by their D at a 2:1 ratio, including them targeting Pasta. Felt like the playoffs all over again!

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Hulk AND Thor?
Dang...
I’ll take Loki

There were a couple forwards who had decent hits, but I did not see what you saw at all that particular night. Good, intense game but we were not "rocking" guys (to my eyes). I believe our D had a grand total of 0 hits that night. McAvoy took a run at a guy and missed so nothing credited, and I thought Wotherspoon had a hit or two.

The loss against the Canucks saw our D outhit by their D at a 2:1 ratio, including them targeting Pasta. Felt like the playoffs all over again!
The game in Boston - I sit ice level and they were killing them. In Seattle I watched half asleep

• Haha
Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I hope the bring him to satisfy your needs, I also hope you are right about him, and that would make you smarter than me.........but I don't think so.
Me & Marshy on same page so you’re out numbered

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I’ll take Loki

The game in Boston - I sit ice level and they were killing them. In Seattle I watched half asleep
Ah gotcha. I made the mistake of staying up for the one in Seattle.
I hope you are doing well, sir!

Hey, does anyone have the link for Dom's new podcast?

Reactions: DKH

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Maybe I'm wrong but to me the lack of hitting from the D is just as much the system as it is a lack of personnel.

What I mean is they never seem to "chase" guys in the defensive zone, seems the strategy is let them stay to the outside and protect the middle. Let our elite goalies make those easy outside saves and don't get too aggressive chasing them around.

Love it or hate it, that's what I generally see out there

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I don't think he's the Bergeron replacement that some people said, but I think he can be a good 3C.

I like #51 and believe he can be that, and possibly more.

My understanding is that Sweeney will NOT move either Poitras or Lohrei at or before the deadline. Nor surrender the 2025 first round selection.

This, to me, is as it should be.

If they can get something decent -- no, I don't know what -- for Jake, they should do it. At least in Boston, this is who he is. He seems like a great guy but the Bruins simply cannot depend on him. I wouldn't even keep him as a "playoff rental."

Ullmark, Lysell, Merkulov, Gryz and Forbort are all on the table as far as I'm concerned.

OT: What happened to Marc McLaughlin?

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023

I also must have missed the rocking Bruins hits. In fact I haven’t seen maybe two all season. We don’t hit due to fear of retaliation, imo.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Definitely depends on what is decent, but what should a 20 goal guy bring back in value (if he gets there this season)? A second rounder? He's also probably better than you can reasonably expect to get with a real late first round pick, so is he worth that?

"By my eye," the point is moot.

At least in Boston, his maddening inconsistency simply isn't worth the headache. You cannot rely on a player of this kind.

Get what you can and move forward.

I don’t know if that is his floor. I think his floor is Chris Kelly with better playmaking. Unless he adds some burst, he is going to have trouble creating separation and space for himself at this level and that could really hold back the offense. Or maybe he adds some more Krejci ability to manipulate space, but hard to know if he can do that. I still don’t know how Krejci did it. Magic?

Without unrealistic expectations, Matt reminds of Krejci.

Chris Kelly brought solid value to the Bruins and I would be happy with that, too.

Reactions: TobanWest

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but:

The NHL and KHL have an agreement not to sign players under contract with the other league. KHL players become free agents on May 1, so in other words, can NOT sign before then.

However,

When the war began in Ukraine, the NHL suspended that agreement but ordered all NHL clubs to cease "contact with their KHL counterparts and player agents."

And thanks for the kind words.
Thanks Dom !
I believe this answers your question @sarge88 at least for the KHL teams. College I believe they can be signed as FA and play right away but I could be wrong.

Reactions: sarge88

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Maybe I'm wrong but to me the lack of hitting from the D is just as much the system as it is a lack of personnel.

What I mean is they never seem to "chase" guys in the defensive zone, seems the strategy is let them stay to the outside and protect the middle. Let our elite goalies make those easy outside saves and don't get too aggressive chasing them around.

Love it or hate it, that's what I generally see out there
The Kraken defense had 9 hits, so the 1 hit by Wotherspoon really isn't this huge deal IMO

Reactions: capecodder

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
My dumpster diving plan...

IN: JG Pageau, Kyle Okposo, Zemgus Girgensons, Andreas Englund, and David Riitch. (salary - 12 mil)
OUT: LInus Ullmark, Jake DeBrusk, and Derek Forbort (salary - 12 mil)

Would need to get a few draft picks or prospects added to our IN pile; but adds a backup for Sway down the stretch; a grinding faceoff guy and a few gritty veterans throughout the lineup. Much more ready playoff team. Pageau & Okposo have fallen off but can still give top 9 minutes; Gigensons adds some heaviness to the 4th line; Englund replaces Forbort but gives you a guy that actually uses his size. Pageau has more hits that anyone on the current roster and wins 55% of faceoffs.

Freddy-Zacha-Pasta
Marchand-Pageau-Okposo
JVR-Coyle-Geekie
Girg-Boqvist-Heinen

Lohrei-Mac
LIndholm-Carlo
Englund-Shatt
Wotherspoon-Gryz

Sway
Riitch

As many questions as our current roster; but not giving up any real assets & bringing in some hungry vets with playoff resumes that will push back against the likes of Florida & Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad