Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XI: Trade Deadline March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You could be right, but if they feel Ullmark is the upgrade they need and the fact Necas wants a raise, they may make a love like that.

They would be fools to do anything with Necas until the Elias Petterson status is worked out. Absolute fools.

My dumpster diving plan...

IN: JG Pageau, Kyle Okposo, Zemgus Girgensons, Andreas Englund, and David Riitch. (salary - 12 mil)
OUT: LInus Ullmark, Jake DeBrusk, and Derek Forbort (salary - 12 mil)

Would need to get a few draft picks or prospects added to our IN pile; but adds a backup for Sway down the stretch; a grinding faceoff guy and a few gritty veterans throughout the lineup. Much more ready playoff team. Pageau & Okposo have fallen off but can still give top 9 minutes; Gigensons adds some heaviness to the 4th line; Englund replaces Forbort but gives you a guy that actually uses his size. Pageau has more hits that anyone on the current roster and wins 55% of faceoffs.

Freddy-Zacha-Pasta
Marchand-Pageau-Okposo
JVR-Coyle-Geekie
Girg-Boqvist-Heinen

Lohrei-Mac
LIndholm-Carlo
Englund-Shatt
Wotherspoon-Gryz

Sway
Riitch

As many questions as our current roster; but not giving up any real assets & bringing in some hungry vets with playoff resumes that will push back against the likes of Florida & Tampa

Those are the not pieces I would move Ullmark for. Picks and prospects please.

Last edited:

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada

IN: JG Pageau, Kyle Okposo, Zemgus Girgensons, Andreas Englund, and David Riitch. (salary - 12 mil)

Would need to get a few draft picks or prospects added to our IN pile; but adds a backup for Sway down the stretch; a grinding faceoff guy and a few gritty veterans throughout the lineup. Much more ready playoff team. Pageau & Okposo have fallen off but can still give top 9 minutes; Gigensons adds some heaviness to the 4th line; Englund replaces Forbort but gives you a guy that actually uses his size. Pageau has more hits that anyone on the current roster and wins 55% of faceoffs.

Freddy-Zacha-Pasta
Marchand-Pageau-Okposo
JVR-Coyle-Geekie
Girg-Boqvist-Heinen

Lohrei-Mac
LIndholm-Carlo
Englund-Shatt
Wotherspoon-Gryz

Sway
Riitch

As many questions as our current roster; but not giving up any real assets & bringing in some hungry vets with playoff resumes that will push back against the likes of Florida & Tampa
Gross. Sorry.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
No worries.

We can continue to talk about completely unrealistic expectations here instead. Hanifin, RNH, Evander Kane, Tkachuk, Necas, Mercer, etc. To paraphrase Rick Pitino, none of those guys are walking through our door.
'Agreed. I’m just not into dumpster diving this year.
** The Edmonton proposals on here are quite silly.

Reactions: BergyWho37 and SPV

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Matt is a smart playmaker but he needs to learn when to move pucks to lessen the beating his body takes.He trys to lug it everytime and you just can't in this league cause they are to good now.Anyhow if the Bruins find a top C over summer or whenever it will create a logjam and good bet somebody is going.
But that's basically his main function. Without lugging it out, what else is there, passing it very early or firing it around the boards?

At least none of those have us ending up with Kyle Okposo and David Rittich
There was a rumor a while back about Okposo. IMO he's got nothing left.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
PIck up @ 14:00 per basic NHL self-inflicted wounds, like "Too Many Men;" failure to clear the D zone, failure to clear the crease (!); inability to close out third periods; PK/PP outage, "loser points;" total team softness/tentativeness/fly-by-shy-away's, late starts, 40 minute efforts; absurd overreliance on goaltending which has, unsurprisingly, come down to earth; no fourth line and in fact, no line stability from game to game; exhausting your best players (Marchand, David, McAvoy) because, evidently, Montgomery doesn't trust the bench;, and perhaps most importantly, NO ANSWER relative to an aggressive forecheck or physical intimidation from opponents,
all of whom -- including the other softies -- understand quite well how to beat the Boston Bruins.

Push 'em around. NO RESPONSE.

I'm glad this is a transition year, from which I expected little.

I don't begrudge a transitional year. I don't begrudge falling to the earth after almost twenty years in the firmament.

But (go ahead, groan), I wish with all my heart that the Boston Bruins would, soon, "Fire Sweeney Into the Sun," and take along Neely and Sunny Jim. I wish the same for Mr. Burns.

As long as there are fannies in the seats, that's not going to happen.

It's a tortuous, tortured enterprise, being a Bruins fan.

Lord, have mercy.

And I'm an agnostic.

A prior meditation on season long failed D zone faceoffs,

Not Only, But Also,

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozzy Osbourne

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
On Dom‘s podcast last night he stressed, a few times, his opinion that any moves they make at the deadline will be with an eye toward the future.

In other words, no rentals, but moves could still be made.
This is where I’d target Zegras if it’s a buy low scenario specially if we’re moving on from DeBrusk. We replace his goal scoring yet adding a more talented kid that does need to learn the defensive side more but he has many offensive tools that we’ve been lacking.

Now some may frown on him and I’m not suggesting he plays centre here unless he improves a lot away from the puck but he will push the pace even from LW and I think he’d even compliment a weaker C or a more defensive C he’s flashy unpredictable wants the puck carry’s it very good some may say over carries like say Marchy and has solid offensive vision.

What would the cost be ? That’s the real question. Assuming DeBrusk is traded those picks or pick remember Bertuzzi even pulled a high 1st and he hadn’t proven anything in the playoffs at that point so who‘s to say Jake couldn’t if the right team came along and respected his defensive qualities so here’s my best guess..

Lysell would need to go if you weren‘t entertaining Lohrei or Poitras..
Then DeBrusk pick would and that possibly being a 1st or maybe it’s a 2nd and 4th or something along those lines now the last tricky part is how much more cause if it a lower prospect or do we pay more and tack on Grzelcyk or Forbort to gain cap space ?

I get it might seem like a lot and maybe it is but he’s only turning 23 in March and I can’t see his stalk dropping like if we choose to flip him in a couple years cause we don’t approve with his defensive flaws.

Reactions: sarge88

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I hope the bring him to satisfy your needs, I also hope you are right about him, and that would make you smarter than me.........but I don't think so.
Rather Merkulov then Richard.I think Merk has way more upside and is a stronger player across the ice.
But that's basically is most important function. Without lugging it out, what else is there, passing it very early?

He trys to hold it every single time .There are times he needs to give & go or simply dish it early .He takes a beating I find.

Reactions: Gordoff

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa

Freddy-Zacha-Pasta
Marchand-Pageau-Okposo
JVR-Coyle-Geekie
Girg-Boqvist-Heinen

Lohrei-Mac
LIndholm-Carlo
Englund-Shatt
Wotherspoon-Gryz

Sway
Riitch

Trading quality for quantity never seems to work in our favor.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
It was not a rumor. Like most articles nowadays it was a writer making up a trade idea and using careful wording to make it sound like it was legit.
Media people with no actual connections have to use this. Sadly making them irrelevant for news, only useful for conversation amongst bored fans.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I watched and there was quite a bit of good stuff. Kinda wished the host let Dom talk more and go into some more depth on some of the players and the cap and what the Bruins are looking at doing over the next year or two. The host kinda got on to a long tangent trying to defend the Bruins 1st round 2015 draft picks for like 15 minutes which was a slog and illogical but other than that, it was a good listen.
I also noticed this. I don't know who Chris Nosek is but I was there to hear Doms opinion, not spinach chins.

It was not a rumor. Like most articles nowadays it was a writer making up a trade idea and using careful wording to make it sound like it was legit.
Media people with no actual connections have to use this. Sadly making them irrelevant for news, only useful for conversation amongst bored fans.
I stand corrected!

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I also noticed this. I don't know who Chris Nosek is but I was there to hear Doms opinion, not spinach chins.

I stand corrected!
To correct myself: Not going off on you here. Tone does not transfer over text.

Just the annoying trend of someone making something up and it gets picked up by fans who then call it a legit rumor. I think 90% of the stuff out there, especially talked about here, come from articles like this. Fans are ravenous and want something to talk about, sadly not everyone catches every post and so "ideas" quickly become "rumors". Which is why I am thankful that the mods restrict the posting of sources here.

EDIT: Bruins, Sabres talking trade? — The Fourth Period
Shawn Hutchenson was the root of this latest round of Okposo rumors and commits to nothing:
1709168533245.png

1. No facts here or any mention of backing this up. May is a very grey word.
2. This seems nothing like something Don would do. Just because both Buffalo players are on expiring contracts and the teams are scouting each other does not mean that one is looking at the others expiring contracts. Don has stated several times he is looking to make moves that help now AND later.
This move does NONE of that.

If I was throwing GUESSES around I would assume RFAs Mittelstadt and Krebs are what Don would target.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Interesting that Calgary got NJ involved to retain 50% of Tanev's salary the rest of the season even though he's a UFA and they have all 3 contract retention slots left.

Make you wonder if it's real dollars they are concerned about (Tanev is still owed about a million bucks) and won't want to retain on Hanifin either. Meaning you'd need a 3rd team to make it work.

Reactions: lopey

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Interesting that Calgary got NJ involved to retain 50% of Tanev's salary the rest of the season even though he's a UFA and they have all 3 contract retention slots left.

Make you wonder if it's real dollars they are concerned about (Tanev is still owed about a million bucks) and won't want to retain on Hanifin either. Meaning you'd need a 3rd team to make it work.
Calgary and Jersey are each retaining 50%, bringing Tanev's salary down to 25% for Dallas.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I thought the most that could be retained on any player was 50% total doesn't matter how many teams involved.
Reading/searching the CBA was making me cross eyed, so you get a picture.

1709172116330.png

Obviously not authoritative, but it's the best I've got with a limited attention span.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I believe in total it can be 75%.
Team A retains 50% of original due.
Team B then retains 50% of the balance.
Or essentially 25% of the original.

Could you get a Team C and get them to take 50% of the remainder (12.5% of the total)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad