Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XI: Trade Deadline March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Nice read! Pretty much those same names have been thrown around here.

This is the first year I can ever remember that I really don't care if the Bruins add. Their cupboards are pretty bare and I really don't want to see them get any emptier, but I'm sure if its not this year that 2025 first will eventually be gone by the end of deadline day next year. So if a deal can be made where you can get that Number one center, ( which I highly doubt )Id do it, but if not i'd hang onto it for this off season and use it as some leverage to make a move at the center position. and I really like lohrie and Poitras, but then again if anyone of them can be moved for a first line center, their gone, but no way a rental. JVR, Jake and Linus, move them if its a deal that helps this team today or down the road or hang onto them and see how far they can go with them this year. It really doesn't matter as I don't see Jake or JVR wearing a Bruin uni into 2025, but they both should be able to be replaced in the off-season.

I'm in line with Conor Ryan here.

I would NOT trade the 2025 first, nor would I trade either Poitras or Lohrei. Keep the homegrown talent these two will provide going forward. They're both potentially special players, especially at C & D.

At this point, I would trade Jake. I've seen enough, and they could get decent return.

Open to and even in favor of moving both Merkulov and Lysell.

Linus will be traded. The question is, setting aside his no movement clause, whether Ullmark brings back better return at or before the deadline, or in the off-season. Trading him now would be disruptive, but imho Boston isn't going anywhere in a transition season.

Gryz and Forbort might be added to the prospects trade above or in an Ullmark deal.

Given the bang for the buck, I doubt they will deal JVR this season. What, realistically, would he bring back? He's your "playoff rental."

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I’ll say it - I have zero confidence in Poitras being an NHL regular moving forward. Was a cool exciting story for a bit. Need to package Ullmark and Debrusk for a legit 1C.
I think Poitras could be a decent piece down the road, maybe a steady middle 6 guy. It just remains to be seen, and isn't really worth any consideration anyway due to injury.

As for packaging Ullmark and Debrusk...how many first round picks are you adding to that for a "legit 1C?" To me, Ullmark MIGHT return a 2nd round pick.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I'm in line with Conor Ryan here.

I would NOT trade the 2025 first, nor would I trade either Poitras or Lohrei. Keep the homegrown talent these two will provide going forward. They're both potentially special players, especially at C & D.

At this point, I would trade Jake. I've seen enough, and they could get decent return.

Open to and even in favor of moving both Merkulov and Lysell.

Linus will be traded. The question is, setting aside his no movement clause, whether Ullmark brings back better return at or before the deadline, or in the off-season. Trading him now would be disruptive, but imho Boston isn't going anywhere in a transition season.

Gryz and Forbort might be added to the prospects trade above or in an Ullmark deal.

Given the bang for the buck, I doubt they will deal JVR this season. What, realistically, would he bring back? He's your "playoff rental."
Agree with everything other than Debrusk getting a decent return. I guess it depends on the definition of decent.

Merkulov, sure, he can go. Lysell I'd rather keep, just because there's still enough of an up-side there that I think is worth exploring. If he's gotta go, then I won't be sad though.

I'd hold off on moving Ullmark until the summer. The every other game strategy has worked out good enough that I wouldn't want to pull the rug out from under them heading into the playoffs.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Agree with everything other than Debrusk getting a decent return. I guess it depends on the definition of decent.

Merkulov, sure, he can go. Lysell I'd rather keep, just because there's still enough of an up-side there that I think is worth exploring. If he's gotta go, then I won't be sad though.

I'd hold off on moving Ullmark until the summer. The every other game strategy has worked out good enough that I wouldn't want to pull the rug out from under them heading into the playoffs.

Definitely depends on what is decent, but what should a 20 goal guy bring back in value (if he gets there this season)? A second rounder? He's also probably better than you can reasonably expect to get with a real late first round pick, so is he worth that?

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He was putting up 3C numbers as a 19 year old. He's only going to get better. His floor is a 2C in his prime.

I don’t know if that is his floor. I think his floor is Chris Kelly with better playmaking. Unless he adds some burst, he is going to have trouble creating separation and space for himself at this level and that could really hold back the offense. Or maybe he adds some more Krejci ability to manipulate space, but hard to know if he can do that. I still don’t know how Krejci did it. Magic?

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
Honestly think the team should really just find some depth at the deadline. Trade Gryz and Debrusk if it works. Keep the high picks and prospects we have. Hard to justify trading Merkulov and Lysell without really getting a chance. Lohrei, Beecher and Poitras need to stay as well. Only caveat would be if you could get a guy like Hanifin or a top Centre but odds of that are slim. Debrusk and a second ain't getting Hanifin

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
false, I say we hold on too long and their value takes a drop significantly. I.E. DeBrusk

That literally has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about young guys who've not really shown in the NHL yet.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Definitely depends on what is decent, but what should a 20 goal guy bring back in value (if he gets there this season)? A second rounder? He's also probably better than you can reasonably expect to get with a real late first round pick, so is he worth that?
I would probably take the 2nd, and be ok with it. It would at least be over at that point. A lot of it hinges on what he's looking for on his next contract.

Reactions: Dr Hook

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
If Hanifin should end up in Tampa (great weather, golf 365 days, no sales tax, direct flights to Boston, East Coast) I’m guessing they hope Stamkos does the Bergeron $5 M per year discount
They only have 10 mil in cap space…would have to be like a 1 mil base with incentives.

Theres no way they can do both

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I would probably take the 2nd, and be ok with it. It would at least be over at that point. A lot of it hinges on what he's looking for on his next contract.

I would also be okay with a player for player swap with someone of roughly equal value (however that is calculated)- maybe a change of scenery trade, even. To me it seems like he isn't going to be here next year-it feels Krug-like where they talked a good game early on and now crickets. If they are just that far apart, I hope that Sweeney can get something in trade rather than treating him as an own rental.

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
I don’t know if that is his floor. I think his floor is Chris Kelly with better playmaking. Unless he adds some burst, he is going to have trouble creating separation and space for himself at this level and that could really hold back the offense. Or maybe he adds some more Krejci ability to manipulate space, but hard to know if he can do that. I still don’t know how Krejci did it. Magic?
Krech and Bergy weren't exactly burners but they had high hockey IQ, work ethic, compete, & 2 way play. I see the same qualities in Poitras.

Reactions: Gordoff and DKH

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Dallas has two really good center prospects that would be worth taking a chance on one of them, if the price is right. I am talking about Logan Stankoven and Mavrik Bourque. The Stars have Hintz, Sequin, Faksa, Johnston and Benn already that can play C.

Reactions: Gordoff

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Krech and Bergy weren't exactly burners but they had high hockey IQ, work ethic, compete, & 2 way play. I see the same qualities in Poitras.
They were also very strong on the puck, and Bergeron at least was extremely strong on his skates. Both guys took a beating and wouldn't lose possession. I don't think Poitras is that guy, not even close, but I also think it's unfair to him to make the comparisons.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
I'm going to see a game on the 7th of March vs Leafs and 9th vs Pens........visiting from the Maritimes, I really hope they don't tear it down too much, on the contrary, I'd be ecstatic if they landed some talent and toughness! Look forward to finding a local watering hole to watch deadline day

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Ullmark for a 1st +

1st, Debrusk, Merkulov (they need centers) for Hanifin

Gryz for a pick and flipped for a bottom six forward with toughness

Focus on the 1C in the summer

Reactions: UConn126

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
No way canes do that. Necas is a stud.

Lohrei poitras and lysell untouchables.
I deal Lysell in a heartbeat for a center. People labeling him untouchable reminds me of when Studnicka was "untouchable". Kid's never played a game in the NHL, he's far from a lock to be a contributor. I easily trade him for someone that is.

That said it'd have to be a quality top 6 option. Not a fringe 2/3C that we hope can elevate their game another level. I'm not sure a player like that is available currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad