Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XI: Trade Deadline March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
Ullmark is the big piece they need to manage this trade deadline and either get back draft capital for June or use that capital to get another impact player for this playoff run and more. You have Bussi and DiPietro in Providence who have really played well enough to earn a shot with the big club.

Richard, Boqvist, Lauko, and Brazeau need to be returned to Providence. Thanks for the memories. Lysell, Merkulov, Beecher up with the big boys! Lohrei stays as well.

Jake Middleton, great addition, Minny looks like they're slipping from that wildcard possibility.

Jake, been a rollercoaster with you here but I think it's time to get off the ride. Go ride shotgun with McDavid and hang with your dad in Edmonton. We'll take back some toughness and power forward in Evander Kane. We'll even retain 50% on Forbort to make the deal work!

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
If he's not moved, DeBrusk should skate with Frederic and Geekie who are both more north-south players. Maybe they can create more room for him on the ice.
Worth a try. That should be a dynamic 3rd line. My concern is that it probably means Heinen and JVR are in your top 6. If we are going to have that 3rd line, I would really like to see Lysell or Merkulov take at least one of those spots, and to my eyes Merkulov did not look ready in his first stint up.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Bold move if they do that but I would be perfectly ok with it

I'll take Stamkos from them in FA :laugh:
If Hanifin should end up in Tampa (great weather, golf 365 days, no sales tax, direct flights to Boston, East Coast) I’m guessing they hope Stamkos does the Bergeron $5 M per year discount

Reactions: Kegs

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If management feels how Dom does about Lohrei then they should pass on Hanifan. I don't think we're that close to a cup this year, so selling off all the futures for Noah is off the table in my book. As Dom and Chris said In the podcast getting gritty ans someone like Middleton would be a better option . I'm not shelling out 8 years for Hanifan to keep Lohrei stuck on the 3rd pair, and I don't think Lohrei would be a fan of that either. Pass on Noah, give me Middleton. He might not be from Mass like Noah, but he has the name of a Mass town so that should be good enough for the black and gold tinted glasses folks

Lindholm-McAvoy
Lohrei-Carlo
Middleton-Regula/Wotherspoon

See the problem with Middleton is that he only has one year left on his contract and then his next contract will start when he is 30. For reference, Forbort is 31 and starting to breakdown. Wary of the deal and wary of giving up significant assets for the 1.25 years before that.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
See the problem with Middleton is that he only has one year left on his contract and then his next contract will start when he is 30. For reference, Forbort is 31 and starting to breakdown. Wary of the deal and wary of giving up significant assets for the 1.25 years before that.
Wild are also just 6pts out of a wild card spot. I'm not sure if they would be willing to move Middleton right now.

Reactions: wintersej

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I miss the days when you could make a deal without having to worry about the f***ing cap :rant:

Balance that against the Bruins always being a player away and refusing to spend that bit more or low balling guys when they didn’t have to and I’ll take the cap.
I’m convinced that without the cap, the Bruins don’t win in 2011, and aren’t remotely competitive today. JJ could have been the George Steinbrenner of the NHL before the cap and turned the Bruins into a dynasty if he wanted to. The cap brings the rest of the league down to the Bruins’ level and hamstrings the franchises that want to win vs. teams that are just happy to be there (and occasionally get lucky).

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Ullmark is the big piece they need to manage this trade deadline and either get back draft capital for June or use that capital to get another impact player for this playoff run and more. You have Bussi and DiPietro in Providence who have really played well enough to earn a shot with the big club.

Richard, Boqvist, Lauko, and Brazeau need to be returned to Providence. Thanks for the memories. Lysell, Merkulov, Beecher up with the big boys! Lohrei stays as well.

Jake Middleton, great addition, Minny looks like they're slipping from that wildcard possibility.

Jake, been a rollercoaster with you here but I think it's time to get off the ride. Go ride shotgun with McDavid and hang with your dad in Edmonton. We'll take back some toughness and power forward in Evander Kane. We'll even retain 50% on Forbort to make the deal work!
I would rather keep Boqvist and Richard over Lysell and Merk showed nothing when he was here, I was not impressed especially after the build up , Beecher should be up and Brazeau sent down nice story but...........

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
In the last 10 years, who is the best prospect we traded who went to turn into something? I mean someone who was already drafted that was a Bruins prospect. I know roster players who got traded and turned great, but that's not what I'm asking. I really mean a prospect.

Because if they trade a prospect here, I suspect they don't see a success story coming. And in turn they'll hold on tight to the ones they like. I just can't recall us trading someone who turned into something. Anyone better than Vladar?

Reactions: BMC

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
In the last 10 years, who is the best prospect we traded who went to turn into something? I mean someone who was already drafted that was a Bruins prospect. I know roster players who got traded and turned great, but that's not what I'm asking. I really mean a prospect.

Because if they trade a prospect here, I suspect they don't see a success story coming. And in turn they'll hold on tight to the ones they like. I just can't recall us trading someone who turned into something. Anyone better than Vladar?
Ryan Lindgren?

I think Lohrei is the only one they have now that could come back to haunt them.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

Lindgren, Vaak, and Donato were the top names I saw.

Reactions: sarge88

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Conversely, who was the last Bruins prospect that hit that they kept? Swayman? After that we are going back to Pasta/DeBrusk/McAvoy era, no?

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Nice read! Pretty much those same names have been thrown around here.

This is the first year I can ever remember that I really don't care if the Bruins add. Their cupboards are pretty bare and I really don't want to see them get any emptier, but I'm sure if its not this year that 2025 first will eventually be gone by the end of deadline day next year. So if a deal can be made where you can get that Number one center, ( which I highly doubt )Id do it, but if not i'd hang onto it for this off season and use it as some leverage to make a move at the center position. and I really like lohrie and Poitras, but then again if anyone of them can be moved for a first line center, their gone, but no way a rental. JVR, Jake and Linus, move them if its a deal that helps this team today or down the road or hang onto them and see how far they can go with them this year. It really doesn't matter as I don't see Jake or JVR wearing a Bruin uni into 2025, but they both should be able to be replaced in the off-season.

Last edited:

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Pageau has apparently fallen off this year a bit, but he’s got a good playoff resume, wins faceoffs, and hits and plays gritty Makes a little too much, have to move salary for him or get retention, but checks a lot of marks for us. I think he’d pair well with Brad too.

Reactions: Kegs and Gordoff

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
I’ll say it - I have zero confidence in Poitras being an NHL regular moving forward. Was a cool exciting story for a bit. Need to package Ullmark and Debrusk for a legit 1C.

Reactions: bbfan419

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I’ll say it - I have zero confidence in Poitras being an NHL regular moving forward. Was a cool exciting story for a bit. Need to package Ullmark and Debrusk for a legit 1C.
Good point - he is already 19 after all.

Conversely, who was the last Bruins prospect that hit that they kept? Swayman? After that we are going back to Pasta/DeBrusk/McAvoy era, no?
Frederic?

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
If he does it's still a long road ..likely 4-5 years so yeah...we need a #1C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad