Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XI: Trade Deadline March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I just don’t see 4 better defenseman than him on the Bruins.
That is no reason to say he is a top 4 d-man at this time, and maybe why they are looking to get some defensive help, does not mean he is not mean in the future he will not be but you are wrong to think that now..........

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Gryz has been solid for us his entire time here aside from this season and dealing with some injuries in the playoffs. He does not deserve the hate he gets here because of his size. For the last 4 years, no one on this team was better at retrieving pucks and alleviating forecheck pressure.

Now clearly this year he’s not the same. My guess is it’s recovering from injuries and overall nerves over his contract. Understandable.

Me personally I’m ok with trading him if an upgrade is coming our way. Frankly I also wouldn’t mind resigning him at a very team friendly deal.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Gryz has been solid for us his entire time here aside from this season and dealing with some injuries in the playoffs. He does not deserve the hate he gets here because of his size. For the last 4 years, no one on this team was better at retrieving pucks and alleviating forecheck pressure.

Now clearly this year he’s not the same. My guess is it’s recovering from injuries and overall nerves over his contract. Understandable.

Me personally I’m ok with trading him if an upgrade is coming our way.
Frankly I also wouldn’t mind resigning him at a very team friendly deal.
Fully agree accept with the resign. If it were a veteran minimum 1 yr deal, I would be with you. Otherwise it would be better to go in a new direction with the kids having more opportunity. Next year Lindholm and Lohrei are the expected top 2 LD and the 3rd LD should be paid like a bottom pair defender. Bring in a veteran on the cheap in the offseason if the kids don't seem ready for 3rd line minutes, but I like what I have seen in callups so far this year and I believe in the system.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020

Me personally I’m ok with trading him if an upgrade is coming our way. Frankly I also wouldn’t mind resigning him at a very team friendly deal.

Typically, solid players don't get scratched in the playoffs, twice. I think that has to be highlighted.

If you're going to be a player like him, you have to put pucks on net, get apples, drive play. He's not really done that for some time now. And I don't think it's wrong to highlight that. He's also making more than Reilly did, while now giving Reilly production. That's troubling.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
That is no reason to say he is a top 4 d-man at this time, and maybe why they are looking to get some defensive help, does not mean he is not mean in the future he will not be but you are wrong to think that now..........
I don't see it that way but its just my opinion, right or wrong. The Bruins being healthy and all. I role with Lindholm/McAvoy and Carlo/Lohrei as my top 4. Therefore he's a top 4 defenseman on the Bruins. Obviously if the bruins go out and acquire a Hanafin, Lohriei is the odd man out for this year, and he quickly becomes a future top 4, as a Bruin.

Imo Grizz, Forbort and Witherspoon I don't see as being better than Lohrei. Lohrei has his warts but at anytime he can be a major difference maker a Game Breaker in a very good way.

Reactions: HustleB

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
He had a good game last night even at -1 which was not his fault I might add.What do the Bruins have to lose by letting him play? He is not learning anything else at Providence that he cannot learn better from guys around him here.He can run a pp to make no mistake about that .

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

It's not so much his size maybe it's the people who say he's good in the play-offs maybe? I don't know, he's fine, I have no issues with them trying to keep him with Mac in the play-offs for once, the last two seasons certainly haven't worked with burying him in the lineup

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
No. Grzelcyk should be moved. Do not want to enter the post season with him back there at all.

I don't care if you're Nathan Gerbe if you can produce offensively. Grzelcyk can't. He's scared to get hit and frankly, just isn't a guy you want to go to war with in the post season.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
No. Grzelcyk should be moved. Do not want to enter the post season with him back there at all.

I don't care if you're Nathan Gerbe if you can produce offensively. Grzelcyk can't. He's scared to get hit and frankly, just isn't a guy you want to go to war with in the post season.
Case Closed!
This is all that needs to be said when it comes to Grizz, should be on the back of his hockey cards.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010

Ain't his size, it's his lack of physical play, how easily he gets pushed off pucks, bad coverage, lack of offense and no willingness to engage. I don't care if you are 5'6 if you hit, play tough and protect your goalie. Grizz does none of those things. He is a waste of 3.75M in cap space and hopefully his tenure here will soon be over, replaced by a Middleton, Lauzon or Seeler.

Two coaches have now figured out he is useless in the playoffs, you should be able to play a guy you are paying 3.75M to in the playoffs. He will go down as one of the most overrated Bruins of all-time. Put him on the All Century Team of Overrated.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Case Closed!
This is all that needs to be said when it comes to Grizz, should be on the back of his hockey cards.
When you are a player his size & you have carved out what he has as an NHL player you have to respect that .This is the hardest league in the world to play in.Yea we all want a bit more nasty with size on that back end but give the man a break here that's a bit harsh.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
When you are a player his size & you have carved out what he has as an NHL player you have to respect that .This is the hardest league in the world to play in.Yea we all want a bit more nasty with size on that back end but give the man a break here that's a bit harsh.
Lol
It is. I guess you can add he's such a beautiful a skater.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

At his size as a defenseman. He is probably going to end up playing ~700+ games in the NHL when all is said and done and you don't do that if you are as bad as some here claim that he is.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
At his size as a defenseman. He is probably going to end up playing ~700+ games in the NHL when all is said and done and you don't do that if you are as bad as some here claim that he is.
Im not saying he's bad or terrible at hockey, obviously he has good to great qualities, I mean he's an NHLer for reason, but he has a major deficiency in his game and that's not being able to step up and be counted on in a positive way at the most important time of the season.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Im not saying he's bad or terrible at hockey, obviously he has good to great qualities, I mean he's an NHLer for reason, but he has a major deficiency in his game and that's not being able to step up and be counted on in a positive way at the most important time of the season.

I really think that has been way overblown by his detractors. He was getting regular minutes in the 19 Cup run which came oh so close and after he got concussed by the cheap shot (Sundquist wasnt it?) the team did not play as well when he was out. The entire team since Grizz has been a regular has a generally poor playoff track record outside of '19. I am not sure why he gets singled out as a major contributor to that problem when there are other more important guys that have come up short when they "went to war."

That said, I don't want to clog up the TDL thread with a Grizz debate except to say that he is having a poor season so far and the Bruins look to be moving on from him and I am good with that. I do hope that if the intent is to not offer a new deal, he can be moved at the TDL as part of a package to get someone, or for futures in a standalone. Despite what some here think, he has trade value, and there are a number of teams that could use what he brings from the back-end.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
I really think that has been way overblown by his detractors. He was getting regular minutes in the 19 Cup run which came oh so close and after he got concussed by the cheap shot (Sundquist wasnt it?) the team did not play as well when he was out. The entire team since Grizz has been a regular has a generally poor playoff track record outside of '19. I am not sure why he gets singled out as a major contributor to that problem when there are other more important guys that have come up short when they "went to war."

That said, I don't want to clog up the TDL thread with a Grizz debate except to say that he is having a poor season so far and the Bruins look to be moving on from him and I am good with that. I do hope that if the intent is to not offer a new deal, he can be moved at the TDL as part of a package to get someone, or for futures in a standalone. Despite what some here think, he has trade value, and there are a number of teams that could use what he brings from the back-end.
There was a time where he was one of the best skaters out there. His ability to turn on a dime was ridiculous and it aided him in transition which is where he excelled.

Whether it’s injuries (what I think is the problem), confidence, or both. His decline has been a bummer.

A fresh start would do him well. I always root for him. He’s a way better player than most around here have ever given him credit for.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I've been kinda going back and forth on what I want the bruins to do all season long. When the season started I wanted them to make no moves at the deadline, just accept that this is a transition year and ride with what you have while getting the kids some playing time. Then we were in first for so long that I started to feel like maybe this team was worth investing in at the deadline, but this stretch of games has me reverting back to the first mindset. Keep Lohrei in the lineup, get Beecher back on the forth line, and get Lysell in the top 6. See what happens, at worst you get those guys valuable playoff experience. But I feel like this team is more then an Alex Wennberg away from going on a deep run, so I'd rather they keep their assets and get the young guys more experience. Maybe even see what Gryz can get you on the market and try to get a third pair RD upgrade at most, like I know some people here don't like him but Gryz is an objectively better player then Lyubushkin and he got a third. I like the idea of Carrier that was mentioned, I think by Dom (correct me if I'm wrong).

Marchand-Coyle-Pasta
Debrusk-Zacha-Lysell
JVR-Geekie-Frederic
Boqvist/Heinen-Beecher-Heinen/Brazeau

Lindholm-McAvoy
Lohrei-Carlo
Wotherspoon-Shattenkirk

Sway/Ullmark

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad