Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XI: Trade Deadline March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
What about Dumoulin as a third pair upgrade. Signed at 3mil through next season, been very good in a third pair role for the kraken. 2 time cup winner so he knows how to play come playoffs, has good size. Plays PK2 minutes rn, but he has been a guy that has done 2+ min a game in the past. Could make sense as a Forbort replacement for a year and a half.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I want the team to add a couple of players. I don't know as much as some of you about who is REALLY available and how the Bs can afford them.

I will be happy when the deadline is done.

Is Jake Middleton a real possibility?

I am just reaching...what is up with Krug?

Reactions: Gordoff

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I want the team to add a couple of players. I don't know as much as some of you about who is REALLY available and how the Bs can afford them.

I will be happy when the deadline is done.

Is Jake Middleton a real possibility?

I am just reaching...what is up with Krug?
A lot of $$$ is the issue there. That and they don't need to get smaller again. They desperately need some snarl back there.

I think Middleton changes the complexion of our defense. He's been a guy I wanted the Bruins to target since he was a Shark. He's a big and tough, and has some skill to boot.

Last edited:

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Put Heinen on Novak's line and DeBrusk or a better scorer they acquire and he would be fine. Middleton would play top 4 minutes here, allows them to move Lohrei to bottom pair with Wotherspoon and give Lohrei Power Play time.
I like Middleton as a player, but I really don't think he's as good as some people here seem to think he is, even Wild fans on their board seem to think he's more of a 5D. The only time he actually wins his minutes when playing in the top 4 is when he's playing next to a top 10 dman in Spurgeon, he gets paired with literally anyone else and he gets smoked. Here are his numbers in the past three years when paired with Spurgeon vs without him:

1709318748189.png

So I guess you could put him next to McAvoy and expect decent results, but if I'm moving that 2025 first I want a legit top 4 defenseman back, and I think Middleton costs that first and I don't see him as a legit top 4 defenseman.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
I think focusing on a defenceman that can play with McAvoy long term is what I'd put all the chips towards. The offence can produce as we have seen. Add a banger for the 4th and call it done if they are to make moves

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I like Middleton as a player, but I really don't think he's as good as some people here seem to think he is, even Wild fans on their board seem to think he's more of a 5D. The only time he actually wins his minutes when playing in the top 4 is when he's playing next to a top 10 dman in Spurgeon, he gets paired with literally anyone else and he gets smoked. Here are his numbers in the past three years when paired with Spurgeon vs without him:

View attachment 827709

So I guess you could put him next to McAvoy and expect decent results, but if I'm moving that 2025 first I want a legit top 4 defenseman back, and I think Middleton costs that first and I don't see him as a legit top 4 defenseman.
Middleton brings qualities that analytics don't measure. Not going to get into an analytics vs eye test debate but when a players best assets are hitting, clearing a crease, protecting the goalie and being physical, things analytics don't measure, it's tough to just use numbers to evaluate someone.

The Bruins currently have Matt Grczelyk in the top 4, I take Middleton everyday over him.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
What's up with the McLaughlin recall?
HOW DO EMERGENCY RECALLS WORK IN THE NHL?

When a team is short players "by reason of incapacitating injury or illness or by league suspension to its players," per the CBA, teams recall players by emergency recall. Once the emergency situation has ended, the player must be returned to the team from which he had been recalled, or re-assigned on paper and then recalled via standard recall.

There are benefits to first designating a recall an emergency recall, rather than a standard recall, and we'll get into those below.

WHAT DOES THE NHL CONSIDER AN EMERGENCY SITUATION?

Emergency conditions apply when a team “is reduced below the level of two goalkeepers, six defensemen and 12 forwards,” per the CBA.

A team must be able to provide proof of their emergency situation to the league when requested.

This means that even if a team has enough players to dress, say, seven defenseman and 11 forwards, as teams sometimes do by choice with a healthy roster during the season, it's still considered an emergency situation. If a team doesn't have enough players for four forward lines and three defense pairings, even if they have 18 total healthy skaters otherwise, it's an emergency situation.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
A lot of $$$ is the issue there. That and they don't need to get smaller again. They desperately need some snarl back there.

I think Middleton changes the complexion of our defense. He's been a guy I wanted the Bruins to target since he was a Shark. He's a big and tough, and has some skill to boot.
Middleton would replace Forbort on the bottom pair, trading for him expecting him to play in the top four is a mistake

Reactions: dugg133

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

He would help their blueline but a 1st plus a roster player is steep
I'm OK with him playing In the NHL. Just play for another team.
It was not about that it was about people ripping him apart when he is playing in the NHL & they are on the sofa having never played pro hockey at any level lol I get it heck we all do.The Bruins need more hammer not nail on backend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad