Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XI: Trade Deadline March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
That call up doesn’t do much for me
Was pretty much the only option. Only guys they had enough space for were McLaughlin, Brown, Steen, Megna, and Richard. They clearly don't want to risk Richard to waivers and he's played 9 games, so couldn't be him. Steen and Brown have gotten a chance and done nothing with it. So if it's between Megna and McLaughlin, I'd rather they go with McLaughlin.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Was pretty much the only option. Only guys they had enough space for were McLaughlin, Brown, Steen, Megna, and Richard. They clearly don't want to risk Richard to waivers and he's played 9 games, so couldn't be him. Steen and Brown have gotten a chance and done nothing with it. So if it's between Megna and McLaughlin, I'd rather they go with McLaughlin.
Plus an emergency recall has to be $875k or below.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think all of those guys are better players than him tbh. The difference isn’t enough to move the needle though so I guess it’s kind of irrelevant who they called up

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
This is a chart from 2022 not the current season, but still instructive towards the conversation today as a few players discussed here are highlighted.

7F18C861-FEF2-4FA0-BBF1-F5F1F8132333.jpeg

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Help us slow brains out- what is this chart meant to show in layman's terms? I get the gist of the layout but the terms seem vague and it's hard for me to see what's "good" or not.
Upper left is low entries allowed and low chances off entries allowed. Bottom right is easy to get in and easy to get a chance.

Basically a zone entry denial effectiveness chart.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
A lot of $$$ is the issue there. That and they don't need to get smaller again. They desperately need some snarl back there.

I think Middleton changes the complexion of our defense. He's been a guy I wanted the Bruins to target since he was a Shark. He's a big and tough, and has some skill to boot.
I agree but what is the chance?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
So that they can lose in the 1st round

Sounds like fun.

I admire your enthusiasm for change but trading away 9 players from a team just isn't it. Can you tell me the last time in sports history when a playoff team did this at the TDL? Or were cool with trotting out their minor league team in the NHL playoffs?

Playoffs can be unpredictable. Teams hedge their bets the best they can by getting players that fit their system and hope for the best with health, luck, and players performing. Trading away 40 percent of the team that got you 3/4 of the season as a top team in the league just isn't going to happen.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Gotta love this time of Year.lol

Guy was a healthy scratch for the Kings last year, now he wants a 5-year deal.

It's comical really I'd never give a player Sean Walker's caliber 5-years but these GMs just can't help themselves.

Edmonton considering giving up a 1st rounder for him is almost as bad.

Walker could get away from Torts system and be absolute garbage some place else. It's not like he's proven or experienced.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Upper left is low entries allowed and low chances off entries allowed. Bottom right is easy to get in and easy to get a chance.

Basically a zone entry denial effectiveness chart.

Thanks! I am shocked to see Grz up there (I know, it's last season) considering I have been hearing how terrible he is.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I would say a lot of our defensive woes this season have come from our best players. Specifically Lindholm and McAvoy, doing too much, getting caught at the blue line or not being hard enough.
Guy was a healthy scratch for the Kings last year, now he wants a 5-year deal.

It's comical really I'd never give a player Sean Walker's caliber 5-years but these GMs just can't help themselves.

Edmonton considering giving up a 1st rounder for him is almost as bad.

Walker could get away from Torts system and be absolute garbage some place else. It's not like he's proven or experienced.
I tend to agree here. Walker not worth it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I would say a lot of our defensive woes this season have come from our best players. Specifically Lindholm and McAvoy, doing too much, getting caught at the blue line or not being hard enough.

He's got basically 3/4 of a season where he's played for one coach/system, with for the most part, one LD partner and has performed well. His price is elevated because the market is so shallow and GMs are desperate to add for the playoffs. Or in Philly's case, they are desperate for RD really. Risto can't be counted on and Drysdale has to still prove he can stay healthy over the long-term.

Reactions: Gordoff

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Thanks! I am shocked to see Grz up there (I know, it's last season) considering I have been hearing how terrible he is.
I mean the Bruins have this info and healthy scratched him to start last years playoffs and haven’t talked to him about an extension so I would take “shut down defenseman” lightly. Unless we consider Kulak one as well

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023

I disagree with this. The issue with the defense has been that McAvoy, Lindholm, and Carlo are the only guys giving you consistently good results, but then 4-6 has been a disaster.

As for Walker, I think he's a decent player that'd be an upgrade on the bottom pair over Shattenkirk, but with the RD market so think he might go for a price that's hard to justify.

Reactions: BadBruins

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I mean the Bruins have this info and healthy scratched him to start last years playoffs and haven’t talked to him about an extension so I would take “shut down defenseman” lightly. Unless we consider Kulak one as well

Yeah I think shutdown is an unfortunate word choice when it is really about denial of zone entries.

Reactions: wintersej

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
1709329019167.png

Notice the wording.
1709329091261.png

1709329140855.png

Just links back to The Fourth Period's article that I posted earlier. No legitimate sources with names backing this up yet. Was surprised at half of the names on there. I think Don is canvasing and media people are trying to turn "touched base on" into "Interested In" or "Pursuing" .

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
they should let lucic play then

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
they should let lucic play then

That's not going to happen, and I think you know why.

As much as the Bruins could use Milan, his return to the lineup would be very sensitive to negotiate in the locker room.

More to the point, can you imagine league-wide media coverage and fan reaction? Can you imagine the shit they would chant in opposing buildings?

Unfortunately, at least for now, Milan Lucic is not part of the Boston Bruins plans.

Reactions: Gordoff and lopey

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
My question is if they are looking for snarl, why didn't they address this in the summer? I mean, yeah, they got Looch, but he is just one guy. Now if that is what they are trying to do, they are going to pay a price for it that likely did not need to be paid.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Yeah I think shutdown is an unfortunate word choice when it is really about denial of zone entries.
Semantics aside, it’s denial of entries, and then denial of chances on entry. He was also elite in retrievals and exits. These are things most here don’t seem to care about when it comes to the responsibilities of defensemen though.

Reactions: Dr Hook
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad