Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XI: Trade Deadline March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
I missed Dom's podcast, so can anyone repost the link please?. Thank you
GO BRUINS!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
IIRC, according to Dom, not even Bussi. He mentions 2-3 other goalies and Bussi leaving.

Bussi will be an RFA next season. But he will not be waiver eligible. So if he doesn’t start on Big B roster he needs to pass waivers. My guess is someone would grab him. Thats me though.

But either way. Sway is gonna get paid. Bruins arent gonna carry 10 to 11 M in goalies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Has that been happening as much this call up? Can’t say I have been paying that close attention come the third period in these super late night games. He certainly has been getting more minutes overall.

Ya he didn’t play the final 8 minutes of the canuks game

Reactions: wintersej

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
Lohrei is off limits.

This. Next season his jerseys and t shirts will be flying off pro shop shelves just like Poitras ones were this year.

Grzlicks value should now be even lower. Wonder what Sweeney will need to add to get that terrible contract out of here.

Any team hiring Zamboni drivers can have his dad

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Bussi will be an RFA next season. But he will not be waiver eligible. So if he doesn’t start on Big B roster he needs to pass waivers. My guess is someone would grab him. Thats me though.

But either way. Sway is gonna get paid. Bruins arent gonna carry 10 to 11 M in goalies.
This goaltending situation is coming to a head very soon .I will feel better when I see a Swayman extension.

Reactions: Gee Wally

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Last year they went all in as they should have.

This year they should fold.

What they should do is trade all expiring contracts and get some picks and prospects.

JVR
JDB
Boqvist
Hienen
Wortherspoon
Shattenkirk
Forbert
Grizz
Ullmark for the right return otherwise hold on until the off-season .
all up for grabs, not going to win with this line-up, don't have the assets to acquire reinforcements, anyone you value can be re-signed in the OS.

fill the roster with guys like ,

Lohrei
Lysell
Merkulov
Beecher
Regula
Steen
Richard
Bussi
Lets see what they got, they can gain valuable PO experience, some of them will be an upgrade over who they replace. Any of them can also be a trade piece for the right return, there are no untouchable among them, again for the right return.

That is the reality , that's what they should do

What we'll see is them squandering the few assets they have left for marginal players that will make zero difference, getting bounced in the 1st or 2nd round .

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Grzlicks value should now be even lower. Wonder what Sweeney will need to add to get that terrible contract out of here.
Sweeney would be an idiot to add anything to ( hopefully ) ship Grzelcyk out of town. He's a UFA after this season so no sweetener would be needed as I'm sure that some team would take him on at his full cap hit for a Playoff run. After all - Grzelcyk is known to be a stud during Playoff time. :laugh:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Last year they went all in as they should have.

This year they should fold.

What they should do is trade all expiring contracts and get some picks and prospects.

JVR
JDB
Boqvist
Hienen
Wortherspoon
Shattenkirk
Forbert
Grizz
Ullmark for the right return otherwise hold on until the off-season .
all up for grabs, not going to win with this line-up, don't have the assets to acquire reinforcements, anyone you value can be re-signed in the OS.

fill the roster with guys like ,

Lohrei
Lysell
Merkulov
Beecher
Regula
Steen
Richard
Bussi
Lets see what they got, they can gain valuable PO experience, some of them will be an upgrade over who they replace. Any of them can also be a trade piece for the right return, there are no untouchable among them, again for the right return.

That is the reality , that's what they should do

What we'll see is them squandering the few assets they have left for marginal players that will make zero difference, getting bounced in the 1st or 2nd round .

That's reality? In what parallel universe?

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Can you imagine the reaction in this city, if with the best record in East one point out of the best record in hockey, the team completely blew it up for the season for futures.

They'd have to fire Sweeney maybe even Neely after that
Oh I didn’t say or mean futures. I would do it for players who can play now just younger or pics prospects to flip for what we need. Players with term.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
We wont be able to afford both Ullmark and Swayman. Bussi is the guy that will replace whichever one goes.

... or is it DiPietro who already has some NHL experience and seems to be back on track? I am not sure. I see the Bruins re-signing him and next year either Bussi or him will win the backup job. Either way keeping Ullmark is a luxury they can't and shouldn't afford.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Talent wise, probably not, but he hasn't exactly looked great in his own end. Trouble with the puck quite a bit.

Trouble with the puck but even with his sloppy Bambi movements he covers a ton of ground and makes the puck stick to him often, you can see how much space he’s going to cover and disrupt as he gets better. Really a shame chara isn’t still around to teach his lanky ass but he’s gonna be a good one

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

T-minus one week from the NHL trade deadline (3 p.m. next Friday), the Bruins have won but four of their last 12 games. That’s not a fluke. It’s what the Bruins are right now, a bunch of guys searching to regain their pluck ‘n’ strut.

Their game is dull and out of synch. Their best players, including too many of their top six forwards, are far from being their best players. Their goaltending too often doesn’t deliver big or timely saves. The backline six or seven are soft. Their special teams, most nights, toggle between the bland and the outright bad.

If there is a cure, beyond GM Don Sweeney fixing all those issues with some multidimensional deadline wizardry, it didn’t make itself apparent in Thursday’s firewagon 5-4 win over the Cup-defending Vegas Golden Knights at TD Garden.

The Bruins once again built a sizeable lead (3-0 in the opening 17 minutes) and once again turned what should have been a comfortable stroll to victory — perhaps one that would provide them with a foothold to get out of their ongoing fog — into a needless nailbiter.

Sweeney is shopping, albeit with minimal capital beyond what he has on his Boston/Providence rosters. At this point, the draft cupboard’s hinges have been worn thin. He has picks he can yield, but he’s dealt those at times when his team has looked a player or two away from being a true Cup contender. That’s not how this team looks. Not right now.

Forever the same ol’ Dealin’ Don, unwilling to share any of the deep, dark Causeway St. secrets here at crunch time. Like Sylvester, Sweeney wouldn’t offer a hint of Tweety Bird’s whereabouts if the feathers were flying out of his mouth, nostrils, and ears.

There is a Part 2 of Sweeney’s interview to come — likely Saturday night when the Bruins face the Islanders in Elmont, N.Y. — and maybe Sweeney will spill the trade beans then. The chance of that is in lockstep with owner Jeremy Jacobs at the same time announcing he will roll back the 9.5 percent price increase to next year’s season tickets that were announced on Monday.

There is never any equivocation when it comes to asking Black and Gold fans to pony up more… and more… and…. more.

Sweeney made an attempt to secure veteran UFA Patrick Kane at mid-season, but the prolific winger opted instead to sign with the Red Wings. Kane now has posted 31 points in 29 games with the Detroit Red Wings. Those numbers would have looked pretty good here, especially in a February gone fallow.

Geekie’s performance on Thursday, when he increased his output to 13-17–30 (career highs for goals and points), was a poignant reminder that the NHL’s best, potentially most impactful deals are typically done in the dead of summer rather than the chaos of the deadline. The UFA market, remember, is how the Bruins in 2006 landed Zdeno Chara.

July free agency is about roster building, and setting a franchise’s foundation.

Deadline dealing is about augmenting rosters with hired hands and, in some cases, attempting to salvage a season.

The deadline is here, and it’s clear the Bruins need to ask for more from the players on hand and from whomever else might walk through the door in the next few days.

Based on February, the ask may be too big for anyone to answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad