Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XI: Trade Deadline March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
Part of my concern with adding Hanifin is that I think we need 2 guys like ol Kevan and don’t have the space to fit Noah in.

Got my eyes on guys like Zadorov and Hakanpaa. Hakanpaa may be priority #1 for me this offseason
I agree, especially after listening to Dom’s podcast. Hanifin is a fantastic player, but adding two bangers to the bottom pair probably helps more with the defense as currently constructed

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Kyper's Korner @RealKyper.​

—Every day Canucks star Elias Pettersson goes without re-signing adds another layer of anxiety to fans on the west coast. Some suggest to me the latest offer on the table could fetch the 25-year-old as high as $96 million (U.S.) on an eight-year deal.
—With Dallas acquiring defenceman Chris Tanev from Calgary on Wednesday and only retaining 50 per cent of his salary, look for the Stars to aggressively pursue another defenceman before the March 8 deadline.
Meanwhile, Boston seems to be pushing hard for another Flames defenceman: Noah Hanifin. He is far and away the most natural fit as a Massachusetts native and former Boston College star. Calgary is looking for three significant pieces from the Bruins for the pending UFA defenceman. It’s highly unlikely the Bruins will even need to pay the $7.5-million annual salary he turned down from the Flames to extend him.
—Is the goalie market shrinking? The short answer is yes. With the New Jersey Devils well out of a playoff spot and talk that Marc-Andre Fleury, John Gibson and Juuse Saros are unlikely to be moved by the deadline, it seems a team such as the Kings is less willing to blow the doors off Calgary to pay for Jacob Markström.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
We get Hanifan then say goodbye to Lohrei. Lohrei is not a bottom pair D and he likely wouldn't be a fan of that role . So if you're getting Hanifan, you're spending more money for that 2nd pair LD role when you could be spending it on a true position of need, Centers

I mean was Sergachev a bottom pairing D? Bruins would have to trade Lindholm eventually like Tampa did with McD, but I would view that all as a pro, not a con. Rolling a crazy deep LD group got Tampa Cups.

Reactions: BruinDust

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010

—Every day Canucks star Elias Pettersson goes without re-signing adds another layer of anxiety to fans on the west coast. Some suggest to me the latest offer on the table could fetch the 25-year-old as high as $96 million (U.S.) on an eight-year deal.
—With Dallas acquiring defenceman Chris Tanev from Calgary on Wednesday and only retaining 50 per cent of his salary, look for the Stars to aggressively pursue another defenceman before the March 8 deadline.
Meanwhile, Boston seems to be pushing hard for another Flames defenceman: Noah Hanifin. He is far and away the most natural fit as a Massachusetts native and former Boston College star. Calgary is looking for three significant pieces from the Bruins for the pending UFA defenceman. It’s highly unlikely the Bruins will even need to pay the $7.5-million annual salary he turned down from the Flames to extend him.
—Is the goalie market shrinking? The short answer is yes. With the New Jersey Devils well out of a playoff spot and talk that Marc-Andre Fleury, John Gibson and Juuse Saros are unlikely to be moved by the deadline, it seems a team such as the Kings is less willing to blow the doors off Calgary to pay for Jacob Markström.
if sweeney can pull off hanifin for under $7m i will stop criticizing him for at least a week

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
The more I think about it the more I don’t think we need Hanifin, even in the offseason
Need toughness badly back there before anything else. He's not a needle mover for me, especially for what it will take to land him.

To soft up front as well and would rather spend assets to repair the gross center position. It sucks, the root of the problem when the wings are freelancing to create their own chances.

Coyle and Zacha are not doing it, besides Zacha setting up Pasta for that beauty last game how often are these centers putting guys in a position to score.

I know its not their fault but it still needs to be addressed before a Hannifin trade.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

IMG_1115.jpeg

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He's done very well for himself at home in Boston. He's made millions and probably only has a year or two left in the league. He's been fortunate to have played here, time to see how the other "half" lives. It's not like he's going to Siberia ffs. They don't have an NHLoL team ....... YET!
It's time- he had a good run here and will still be playing elsewhere in the league if he wants to- he's a good player despite what some here think. He is also not what the Bruins need in the role any more.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Lohrei is my guy for the second pair next season and beyond.

Trade Linus and don't re-sign Jake and you have 31 mil to spend in the summer.
I’m curious to see what Tyler Bertuzzi gets in the summer. Patrick Kane too. They’d both fit well here in Boston on short term deals. Bertuzzi at 5m, Kane at 2.75m.

Bertuzzi • Zacha • Pastrnak
Marchand • Coyle • Kane

Not much available at center UFA this summer

Reactions: HustleB

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

Say it were the 1st, Merkulov and DeBrusk, then there would still be 1 million to account for so throw in Gryz or Forbort. But now you have to add another asset. It's pretty expensive and probably not enough but I would do it if it were.

Originally I posted 3.5 million but adjusted to 1 million after seeing my mistake.

Last edited:

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I agree, especially after listening to Dom’s podcast. Hanifin is a fantastic player, but adding two bangers to the bottom pair probably helps more with the defense as currently constructed
I don't really agree with this. The bruins are a mediocre at best defense by every metric publicly available. xGA, shots against, chances against, high danger chances against are all in the bottom half of the league. The only reason we don't allow many goals is cause of the goalie tandem. Adding another 5v5 difference maker to the top 4 isn't really a luxury at this point, it's a legitimate need. And Lohrei isn't that guy yet, so unless you think he'll be ready to be that very soon Hanifin makes way too much sense for us not to go all in on.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't really agree with this. The bruins are a mediocre at best defense by every metric publicly available. xGA, shots against, chances against, high danger chances against are all in the bottom half of the league. The only reason we don't allow many goals is cause of the goalie tandem. Adding another 5v5 difference maker to the top 4 isn't really a luxury at this point, it's a legitimate need. And Lohrei isn't that guy yet, so unless you think he'll be ready to be that very soon Hanifin makes way too much sense for us not to go all in on.

I agree with you- Grizz has been poor this year, Lindholm has been less than spectacular (still decent though) probably due to nagging injuries, Shattenkirk has fizzled, Forbort stinks worse than usual, and Wotherspoon is what he is, a #6-7 guy, Lohrei is not there yet (I think he will be) and the less said about Ian Mitchell the better.

In the top 6 F's, Brad, Zacha, JDB have all gone cold at the same time, and so has Freddy. If you don't have a mass slump kicking in, there is enough offense with the goalies and an upgrade to the Top 4.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I mean was Sergachev a bottom pairing D? Bruins would have to trade Lindholm eventually like Tampa did with McD, but I would view that all as a pro, not a con. Rolling a crazy deep LD group got Tampa Cups.

Contract wise it sets up perfectly with Lohrei and Lindholm.

You get all 3 until the end of 2026-27. That summer Lohrei finishes his two-year bridge and Lindholm's trade protection shifts to allow a deal to 16 teams. Trade Lindholm then and give his money to Lohrei on a long-term extension.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Yes, it is a serious post. That would be the center of the deal - Boston can add a bit. Debrusk is younger and a hometown boy which has to carry a bit of extra value.
A few years of an age gap, that's the only thing Debrusk has over RNH.

One plays center, is scoring at a ppg clip, and is cost controlled for several years.

The other is Debrusk, who will likely cost just as much or more. Unless your definition of "a bit" is my equivalent of "a shit load" then this deal won't get done.

Reactions: Gordoff and lopey

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yes, it is a serious post. That would be the center of the deal - Boston can add a bit. Debrusk is younger and a hometown boy which has to carry a bit of extra value.

RNH is an Oiler lifer who signed a sweetheart deal with a full 8-years of complete 100% trade protection. He's playing with the world's best hockey player on an Oilers team with it's best chance of success in RNH's entire career.

I'd put his odds of OK'ing a trade anywhere to be less than zero.

Babajingo

Would love to see Elias go unsigned. It would get my hopes up but then I don't see Mr. Burns shelling out that much money. Instead they'd sign 3 Thirty-something Lead Foots for the same amount of $$.
He would be the perfect fit for Pasta.

Reactions: TCB

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Contract wise it sets up perfectly with Lohrei and Lindholm.

You get all 3 until the end of 2026-27. That summer Lohrei finishes his two-year bridge and Lindholm's trade protection shifts to allow a deal to 16 teams. Trade Lindholm then and give his money to Lohrei on a long-term extension.

Yeah, I couldn't remember who worked out all that out and didn't want to take credit for parroting it back, but now I recall it was you.

Reactions: BruinDust

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
These are the guys they have linked to the Bruins, take it for what its worth but outside of Hanifan those other defenseman are what the Bruins are sorely missing, players who play with an edge and some bite and it wouldn't shock me to see one of them a Bruin come March 8

2. Noah Hanifin, LD - Calgary Flames​

3. Adam Henrique, C/LW - Anaheim Ducks​

7. Matt Dumba, RD - Arizona Coyotes​

15. Ilya Lyubushkin, RD - Anaheim Ducks​

19. Alexander Wennberg, C - Seattle Kraken​

21. David Savard, RD - Montreal Canadiens​

23. Joel Edmundson, LD/RD - Washington Capitals​

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Would love to see Elias go unsigned. It would get my hopes up but then I don't see Mr. Burns shelling out that much money. Instead they'd sign 3 Thirty-something Lead Foots for the same amount of $$.
He would be the perfect fit for Pasta.
I read that they have made significant progress and he will likely be signed within the next few days.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, I couldn't remember who worked out all that out and didn't want to take credit for parroting it back, but now I recall it was you.

I really hope Sweeney is in on Hanifin such a great fit now and moving forward. Sets up the D long-term. Goalies long-term seem to be in a very good place. Let's them focus on upgrading the forward corps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad