Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Oh so you want to be sassy and call me out by saying I won’t respond and then you duck.

Zegras isn’t producing? He’s coming off back to back 60+ point seasons in his age 20 and 21 season and has been injured this year. He would instantly be our best offensive center

As for hanifin there’s been rumors he would like to play for his hometown team in the bruins if it can happen.

Of course there are rumors there. I just think we're going to end up paying absolute top dollar for a player that doesn't fill a current (or near future) need. That is unless (as you may have referenced) there's a sensible deal in the pipeline involving Lindholm but I don't see it.

And again, I didn't "duck". I was offline for a few hours. But good on you for responding promptly.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Especially those centers who play for a team desperate for a franchise player who are either moving said center to wing or are trading them.

Maybe they like their other two young centers better and don’t see Zegras as a 3C and are listening to offers to improve at other positions?

I’m not going to predict what Zegras will be 5 years from now, based on seeing him play 5 times, but the league is littered with guys who haven’t scored 60 points in their first two seasons.

The kid has talent and if he’s available it’s at least worth considering.

Reactions: Gordoff and TCB

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Maybe they like their other two young centers better and don’t see Zegras as a 3C and are listening to offers to improve at other positions?

I’m not going to predict what Zegras will be 5 years from now, based on seeing him play 5 times, but the league is littered with guys who haven’t scored 60 points in their first two seasons.

The kid has talent and if he’s available it’s at least worth considering.
But that’s not what’s happening. They’re unhappy with him. He hasn’t gotten better at any kind of defensive game or the details required.

And even if so…he’s a 3C for the Ducks and we’re drooling over him?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'll take Trevor Zegras all day long as a play-driving uber-skilled winger.

But he ain't playing center for my team.

Reactions: lopey

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
But that’s not what’s happening. They’re unhappy with him. He hasn’t gotten better at any kind of defensive game or the details required.

And even if so…he’s a 3C for the Ducks and we’re drooling over him?

His talent level is a 2C.

He’s, what 22?

He can learn the other parts of the game.

Hell, Zacha has been in the league for what? 6 years and he’s much bigger and stronger than Zegras and he’s struggling to learn the position, and he’s backstopped by some very good defensemen and elite goaltenders.

All I’m saying is that you can’t teach the offense that he brings, but you can teach defense.

For a team starved for skilled centers, you have to consider all options.

Reactions: lopey and Gordoff

RatKing

Jan 26, 2023
If the Bruins are serious about winning anything this year, Forbort, Grzelyck cannot be in your top 6 come playoff time. Also without a little more toughness and grit it doesn’t matter who’s in the top 6. They aren’t winning a playoff series. I’m not saying you need to go out and get fighters, need atleast a couple guys that are willing to lay an open ice hit every once in awhile. Or clear the front of the net. This team is far to soft to win a playoff series let on pretend they have a chance to win a cup…… Forbort must go first.

FRyan4426

Feb 15, 2023
Kingston, MA
If the Bruins are serious about winning anything this year, Forbort, Grzelyck cannot be in your top 6 come playoff time. Also without a little more toughness and grit it doesn’t matter who’s in the top 6. They aren’t winning a playoff series. I’m not saying you need to go out and get fighters, need atleast a couple guys that are willing to lay an open ice hit every once in awhile. Or clear the front of the net. This team is far to soft to win a playoff series let on pretend they have a chance to win a cup…… Forbort must go first.
Forbort is charmin soft. It’s infuriating

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
His talent level is a 2C.

He’s, what 22?

He can learn the other parts of the game.

Hell, Zacha has been in the league for what? 6 years and he’s much bigger and stronger than Zegras and he’s struggling to learn the position, and he’s backstopped by some very good defensemen and elite goaltenders.

All I’m saying is that you can’t teach the offense that he brings, but you can teach defense.

For a team starved for skilled centers, you have to consider all options.
His talent level is a 2LW towards a 1LW

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
It's going to be difficult for Sweeney to make the right moves for this team to be a legit playoff threat. Cap space. Assets already moved. How tight the cap is around the league.

At this point if it can't be done, I wouldn't be upset if Sweeney sold and opened up spots for the kids to play out the rest of the season.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
How much offense did Nathan Horton create by himself? Tyler Seguin and Even Bruins Era Jaromir Jagr could create offence by themselves. They have a collective 6 goals in 64 games for the Bruins. Nathan Horton had 15 in 43.

That's not the counter argument you think it is. It just further affirms that the Bruins had winger who could create offense for themselves and others in the past and DeBrusk is very dependent on others to have the kind of seasons like he had last year.

Debrusk wasn’t the problem vs the panthers. Dude had 4 goals in 7 games had the 8th best +\- on the team. Bergeron is my favorite of all time AINEC but the player that played against the Panthers was not a good representative of him as a player. A -6 in 3 games. I think for example a guy like Elias Lindholm or Tomas Hertl could come in and give you a lot more than what Bergeron could muster up with a busted back.

Yeah, anyone would've played better than Bergeron did during that series when he was hampered by a bad back thanks to Monty's genius roster management skills. That said, DeBrusk's performance wasn't some flawless masterpiece against Florida. He was still holding a +/- of -1, had roughly half of his shots miss the net, and was overall much less physical than he was compared to years past even with multiple years removed from the season he got his concussion as he only threw 12 hits and 5 blocks. That can't happen when he puts up less points than Pastrnak.

Reactions: Gordoff

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Zacha is a bum
I don't think he's a bum, but I wonder how much his value is around the league. He would probably be one of the the better centers available at the trade deadline, especially since he's also signed for 3 more seasons at a good cap hit.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Maybe Zacha can be a name being shopped that we aren't hearing . Tack him on to Gryz and send them packing
I’m at the point where I can’t wrap my head around the idea of wanting to trade out JDB instead of resigning him while Zacha is there playing invisible every night and can potentially bring in some real assets.

Reactions: BergyWho37

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Maybe…..but I find it hard to give up on the idea that a 22 year old professional athlete can improve their game.

Now…does he have the work ethic to do it?

I don’t know.
It’s not about that. It’s about the idea that this kid is a 1C on a contending team. And he’s not. Doesn’t mean he can’t turn himself into a productive player. But he doesn’t care to play defense, he’s a career 40% on the dot, and he doesn’t show any kind of intangibles most people like to see in their centermen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad