Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatKing

Jan 26, 2023
Players I’d target, but I doubt the Bruins actually will pursue. In order of who I’d like most

- Claude Giroux ( Not sure if he still takes faceoffs but we need someone who can win some )

- Marcus Foligno ( Likely a pipe dream, but he wouldn’t stand around and do nothing while Pasta gets targeted )

- Jake Middleton (in an ideal world Forborts replacement)

- Colton Parayko ( Size with a bit of a mean streak, unlike our guys with size that are softer then butter )

- Scott Laughton ( faceoffs )

If they want Hanifan wait til the offseason and sign him, I don’t really think it makes sense. Blocking Lohrei with another Lindholm esk defenseman. We need some toughness and grit on the back end. Not another skilled guy.

This team needs to find an identity, twice tonight pasta was targeted with zero clap back, same as the last Montreal game. Either go all in and actually build a team made for the playoffs or trade off for picks and prospects and go for it next year when you have cap space. Because this team as it stands today doesn’t have a hope in hell at winning the cup.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It’s not about that. It’s about the idea that this kid is a 1C on a contending team. And he’s not. Doesn’t mean he can’t turn himself into a productive player. But he doesn’t care to play defense, he’s a career 40% on the dot, and he doesn’t show any kind of intangibles most people like to see in their centermen.

Fair enough….but it depends on what you’re hoping for.

If they were to get him for a reasonable price, I’m not thinking he comes here and leads them to a cup.

I’m hoping he comes here and develops into a 2C.

If not,then he’s probably a productive LW.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Fair enough….but it depends on what you’re hoping for.

If they were to get him for a reasonable price, I’m not thinking he comes here and leads them to a cup.

I’m hoping he comes here and develops into a 2C.

If not,then he’s probably a productive LW.
Ok. But that’s not what the discussion with Rico was about at all. I still don’t want him but not because I don’t think he’s a 2LW. But he’d cost 1C prices and I want absolutely no part of that.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
The cap hit that he signed to go to the Columbus blue jackets, so who cares what CBJ paid?

please read the whole conversation that was going on before you pick one post and try to turn it into something it wasn’t. There was a conversation already going on comparing debrusks years with bergy to other years without bergy. That was debrusks best year with our bergy. So it was a comparison. What’s the hell else are we suppose to do in a comparison?

Also heinen was their top winger next to Debrusk/krejci not kuhlman or spooner. Spooner wasn’t even on the bruins that year anymore .He also played on the top PP unit that year too.
Who cares what Florida paid? The Bruins never signed Horton to a single NHL contract.

Your numbers are wrong as well. A 4m dollar deal under a 50.3m dollar salary cap is 7.95% which under next years projected 87.5 would be a 6.96 million dollar deal. But that is a RFA deal and we're talking UFA.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Who cares what Florida paid? The Bruins never signed Horton to a single NHL contract.

Your numbers are wrong as well. A 4m dollar deal under a 50.3m dollar salary cap is 7.95% which under next years projected 87.5 would be a 6.96 million dollar deal. But that is a RFA deal and we're talking UFA.

I don’t give a single care in the world what florida or Columbus was paying him. I only care about what the bruins were paying him and the percentage of cap he cost the bruins.

Why the hell do I care what Horton was making on anyone else except the bruins?

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
That's not the counter argument you think it is. It just further affirms that the Bruins had winger who could create offense for themselves and others in the past and DeBrusk is very dependent on others to have the kind of seasons like he had last year.

Yeah, anyone would've played better than Bergeron did during that series when he was hampered by a bad back thanks to Monty's genius roster management skills. That said, DeBrusk's performance wasn't some flawless masterpiece against Florida. He was still holding a +/- of -1, had roughly half of his shots miss the net, and was overall much less physical than he was compared to years past even with multiple years removed from the season he got his concussion as he only threw 12 hits and 5 blocks. That can't happen when he puts up less points than Pastrnak.
4 goals in 7 games is 4 goals in 7 games. With no Bergeron, Krejci, Hall, or Bertuzzi we are gonna need some guys to score goals in the playoffs. It can't be just Pasta, a 35 year old Marchand, and sometimes Coyle who himself has only 3 in his last 14 games. Freddy and Zacha have 0 over a combined 21, Geekie has 2 in 24, Danton as 6 in 40, Boqvist 0 in 6. JVR has 20 in 71 but only 2 in his last 12.

His teammates that according to you carried him in the regular season were both -6 so I would say at -1 he was a couple "would have been a save is swayman was in" saves away from being on the positive side.

If it makes the team better I'm all for moving any player on this team. I just haven't seen even one suggestion here when it comes to DeBrusk that does so IMO.

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
Does anyone think it’s time to do more of a sell than a buy before the deadline? Not a total tear-down by any means, but rather than move Lohrie for Hannifin, we keep him and try to add younger, hungrier players. Move Ullmark and build from Swayman out.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Does anyone think it’s time to do more of a sell than a buy before the deadline? Not a total tear-down by any means, but rather than move Lohrie for Hannifin, we keep him and try to add younger, hungrier players. Move Ullmark and build from Swayman out.

Yes. I’m for them being realistic. This is a flawed roster. What I mean by that is it’s too heavy and reliant on 3-4 guys to score, very little depth at center, very little bottom-6 scoring, not enough physicality, very little depth at D. There’s too many holes to patch at a trade deadline. Realistically they need a top line center, a third line center (if you decide to play Zacha at wing) or another top-6 winger, 2-3 bottom-6 wings, an upgrade to their top-4 D, and a depth D

This ain’t the season to dump futures into hoping for a second round birth.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
LOL
It amazes me how Sweeney is branded as some kind of a magician every year. :biglaugh:

After 2019-2020 season Chara and Krug left, 1st and 2nd pair LD positions were empty.
What did Sweeney do?
Kicked 3rd pair LD up to the 1st pair and filled the rest up with some spare parts (Forbort, Reilly) he overpaid a lot.

After last season Bergy and Krejci hunged them up, 1st and 2nd line C positions were empty.
What did Sweeney do?
Kicked 3rd line C up to the top line and filled the rest up with some spare parts (Zacha, Geekie, Boqvist, Poitras).

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
LOL
It amazes me how Sweeney is branded as some kind of a magician every year. :biglaugh:

After 2019-2020 season Chara and Krug left, 1st and 2nd pair LD positions were empty.
What did Sweeney do?
Kicked 3rd pair LD up to the 1st pair and filled the rest up with some spare parts (Forbort, Reilly) he overpaid a lot.

After last season Bergy and Krejci hunged them up, 1st and 2nd line C positions were empty.
What did Sweeney do?
Kicked 3rd line C up to the top line and filled the rest up with some spare parts (Zacha, Geekie, Boqvist, Poitras).
Yeah, paying over 9m to make a left side with Mike O'Reilly, Grz and Forbort is just bad GMing 🤢

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
Hanifin last night in 6-3 Flames win over Edmonton

Goals -2
Assists -1
Shots - 7
First Stars - 1

Donny let’s go !!!!!
While he’s definitely a good player, are we a Hanifin away from winning the cup? Do we really want to give up our own young potential Hanifin of the future to bring him in?
I think a number one center is the place to spend the big bucks in the off-season. Focus on a partial rebuild with Sway as the clear top goalie and sell at the deadline. Try to move Ullmark, Zacha and Gryz and Debrusk.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Hopefully Sweeney sees it like most of us do and makes trade deadline decisions for the future and not the now. Any potential future #1/2 C's in the AHL right now that are 1-2 years out that might be had? (Shane Wright for example fits the bill but Seattle won't be dealing, but there must be other contending teams with prospect gold that are being blocked)

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
It’s not about that. It’s about the idea that this kid is a 1C on a contending team. And he’s not. Doesn’t mean he can’t turn himself into a productive player. But he doesn’t care to play defense, he’s a career 40% on the dot, and he doesn’t show any kind of intangibles most people like to see in their centermen.

He’s what 22 years old. So are you saying he’s done developing at this point?

I mean hell Zacha was a 40% faceoff guy his first few years in the league too.

Reactions: TCB and Alicat

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
There he is! Is there a Strome lying around?

So besides the generic “build around the current” team what is your suggestion to improve this team beyond this year.

You seem so willing to critique other people’s suggestions without giving any of your own. Give us some names you’d like the bruins to target with the cap we will have coming up.

I’d like to hear your suggested players who can help this team get over the hump. Any and all positions not just center if you don’t feel center is the issue.

NeelyDan

Owned by Alicat, Ladyfan and caz16
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
The truth always lies somewhere in the middle - a phrase that applies to so many things happening in this thread, lol

The bruins are not a Stanley cup juggernaut in their current form

The bruins are also not the worst team to take the ice in the history of the league

We try to compartmentalize because it allows us to assert some control, but the fact is the appropriate path forward remains the same - try to improve the team this year while keeping an eye on the future

Noah Hanifin is an example of that in a vacuum - of course it means also balancing the assets you forfeit to bring him in

This team could be bounced in the first round and it could also go on a run

Both are possible

Try to enjoy the ride a bit more

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
Putting this out there, whether you agree or not....there isnt a chance in hell they sell.
I agree with your statement, but also think that path is stupid. Forbort, Gryz, Debrusk should absolutely be dealt. Forbort especially. He has been awful for a long stretch. Gryz hasn’t had a good year either. Debrusk is a lot harder given their troubles generating offense. But in general they need to swap out a couple of players, they could use it. I see them going with what they have like you do though.

Reactions: TCB

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Players I’d target, but I doubt the Bruins actually will pursue. In order of who I’d like most

- Claude Giroux ( Not sure if he still takes faceoffs but we need someone who can win some )

- Marcus Foligno ( Likely a pipe dream, but he wouldn’t stand around and do nothing while Pasta gets targeted )

- Jake Middleton (in an ideal world Forborts replacement)

- Colton Parayko ( Size with a bit of a mean streak, unlike our guys with size that are softer then butter )

- Scott Laughton ( faceoffs )

If they want Hanifan wait til the offseason and sign him, I don’t really think it makes sense. Blocking Lohrei with another Lindholm esk defenseman. We need some toughness and grit on the back end. Not another skilled guy.

This team needs to find an identity, twice tonight pasta was targeted with zero clap back, same as the last Montreal game. Either go all in and actually build a team made for the playoffs or trade off for picks and prospects and go for it next year when you have cap space. Because this team as it stands today doesn’t have a hope in hell at winning the cup.
Pasta was not the only one being targeted, McAvoy was taking his licks also, but Bruins fans should be use to their top players being targeted it has gone on for years..............I am in a sour mood today, yesterday I posted that it was time to move on from DeBrusk, it took me along time to do so,I will not blame Jake for the lost last night, but I will say he was part of the reason they did not win, what better game was there than last night for Jake to step up and help win a game. I have said many times before, there are other parts of the game that does not show up on the scoresheet that contribute to a win, but last night was not one them. I am pissed, Donnie went for it last year and did not work out, now some fans will say that's ok he tried and now we have to pay for it "BULLSHIT", go tell your boss that you did a good job last year so that covers me for the suck job I am doing this year. Time to make some tough decisions and get this team back on track, and fans stop with the Lysell, Mekolov need to be in the lineup there is a reason the Bruins prospects are rated so low, they are not that good Loheri has the best upside and shown the improvement over his last callup but be honest he still has work to do. Make moves Donnie show some balls, think outside the box , and I am not looking for fighters but for chrissakes get some toughness on this team, and stop turn the other cheek, one in awhile penalties can be good. I think JVR ha a good year, and the Brazeau has made a effort and I congratulate the kid to make to the NHL awesome feat, but both of them are slow and physicality is non existent with them .......... Monty cut the shit with the line changes, I give coaches credit when they do not worry about sitting or dropping a player down the lineup to get him juiced, but this guy does constantly. I think it is time, I know he has a big heart ,but he needs to be watched Marchand still a great player , but he 35 with bad hips sorry needs to be said. I have more is to say but my blood pressure is off the charts......good thing I posted this after I had my coffee............

Reactions: RatKing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad