Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
He’s what 22 years old. So are you saying he’s done developing at this point?

I mean hell Zacha was a 40% faceoff guy his first few years in the league too.
Zegras with Pasta, that'd be scary good. The open ice Zegras could create for Pasta would help create mis-matches all over the ice. I think it will never happen though. Reports have Gorton and Hughes being on speed dial with Verbeek all season trying to acquire Zegras to no avail.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I agree with your statement, but also think that path is stupid. Forbort, Gryz, Debrusk should absolutely be dealt. Forbort especially. He has been awful for a long stretch. Gryz hasn’t had a good year either. Debrusk is a lot harder given their troubles generating offense. But in general they need to swap out a couple of players, they could use it. I see them going with what they have like you do though.
That's not selling though .

If they are making any deals to bring in roster plays, they are shipping someone/multiple out.

They aren't going to jettison the aforementioned guys or someone like Ullmark, just to recoup picks/prospects

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Bullshit.

Zacha is being asked to play a role above his pay grade. As is Charlie Coyle. Both have done an admirable job.

Sometimes I’d like to be able to use a rating system.

Dumbass
Interesting
Brilliant
Confusing

I’ll let you guess which category I’d assign in this case.
Bum is not the word I would use but come on with the excuses, He's the same player he was in NJ. Only difference is he's playing with a great offensive player.

He looks like the trade steal of all time on some nights but most nights you need to check the line up card to see if he played.

Regardless he's been "asked" to play a different roll or not he is typical of the make up of the roster.

The roster is loaded with the Zacha types so there should be no surprise on what the results are on the ice when P.S.I. starts to build and games are on the line.

I hope I earned an Interesting grade :)

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Bum is not the word I would use but come on with the excuses, He's the same player he was in NJ. Only difference is he's playing with a great offensive player.

He looks like the trade steal of all time on some nights but most nights you need to check the line up card to see if he played.

Regardless he's been "asked" to play a different roll or not he is typical of the make up of the roster.

The roster is loaded with the Zacha types so there should be no surprise on what the results are on the ice when P.S.I. starts to build and games are on the line.

I hope I earned an Interesting grade :)
:laugh: You did!!!

What you say is definitely fair. I think Zacha has been pretty good overall, but you’ve hit the nail on the head.

I was just pushing back on the “bum” part that the other poster laid out. Overly exaggerating things usually results in a Dumbass grade.

Edit: When I said admirable, I meant in terms of filling the two C roles. Both have done a good job in that regard. That said, doesn’t make them 1 and 2 C’s.

Reactions: PB37 and 4ORRBRUIN

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Bob Essensa likes to come in guns blazing.
It’s the veteran goalie coach’s way of setting the tone for the day. There’s no angry connotation with his patented finger gesture, however. It’s just Essensa’s friendly/comedic trademark greeting. He’ll pull out the guns on the ice, in the meeting room, or even just walking down a hallway.

“He always comes in and does these little shooting guns at you and it’s just like, ‘All right cool, Bob’s here,’ ” Jeremy Swayman said. “He’s hilarious.”
It’s one of the many ways the man known as “Goalie Bob” likes to keep things light through the course of what can be a grueling season. It’s also a nod to one of his favorite movies.

“Well, I mean it’s a little bit of ‘Happy Gilmore,’ the old Shooter [McGavin] thing. I go around and it’s my token greeting to people. I’ll give ‘em a couple shots hello,” said Essensa with a laugh. “So, for whatever reason it’s stuck in the last little while. But that’s kind of my go-to.”

It’s not all funny business for Essensa, the Bruins’ go-to goalie coach since 2003. He’s been coaching, guiding, and mentoring the Black and Gold backstops through the Mike Sullivan, Dave Lewis, Claude Julien, Bruce Cassidy, and Jim Montgomery tenures.

“I always joke around that the only way I’ve survived all these different administrations is just turning your phone off every summer and showing up at training camp,” said a smiling Essensa. “But again, I think it kind of stems from the fact that I’ve been fortunate that we’ve had some really good goalies come through here, some that I’ve been involved with acquiring and then some that management’s done a good job in terms of bringing in and allowing me to have success with them.

“And I’ve also benefited from head coaches, from Sully to Claude to Butch, all guys that have a real strong defensive philosophy and allowing goalies to flourish under that philosophy. So, when you combine those two things, you fortunately have a little bit of success. And if your goalies are playing well, I guess management doesn’t feel the need to change anything around. So, I guess that’s how I’ve survived to this point.”

Coincidentally, it was another Bruins coach, Rick Bowness, who bestowed the “Goalie Bob” moniker on Essensa after the goalie signed with Winnipeg and was assigned to its AHL affiliate in Moncton, New Brunswick, in 1987.

It began a relationship that remains strong today.

Following a 12-year NHL run as a player, with stints in Winnipeg, Detroit, Edmonton, Phoenix, Vancouver, and Buffalo, that ended in 2002, Essensa found himself back in the company of Bowness.

Essensa has been able to tailor his coaching style and philosophies to his pupils, and his success has been remarkable.

“I tend to gravitate toward a certain skill set and clearly everybody that gets to this level has certain aspects to their game that allow them to be successful,” said Essensa. “So, we certainly try to emphasize the ones that are working well to this point. And fortunately for me, there’s always going to be some deficiencies, as well. I tend to gravitate toward the guys that can beat the pass that have some foot speed.”

He’s had to alter some of his teaching points over the last two decades because of a big change in the game. Literally a big change.

“I think the trend certainly over the last decade or so is toward the bigger goalies. And there’s a reason why 20 years ago the big goalies couldn’t move nearly as well as they do today,” said Essensa. “But given the advances in equipment and training and what have you, and guys like myself all around the world that are treating these goalies earlier and better now, the guys that are 6-5 can move like the guys that were 5-6 20 years ago.”

Ullmark, who fits into the big guy category at 6-4, said he meshed with Essensa immediately. He acknowledged they don’t always see things the same way, but because they share the same goal (which, of course, is to not allow any), they always find common ground.

“I felt right at home as soon as I got here when it came to his and my personality,” said Ullmark. “Obviously, there are some things that we don’t always agree upon, and we never scream or anything. We don’t always agree on certain things, but what’s good about it is that we don’t fight. We understand what’s to be expected and then maybe he sees the situation differently toward what I am doing. And we have a discussion.”

Getting into a dustup with Essensa would be useless anyway, reported Ullmark.

“Man, is it hard to get angry with him. I just can’t,” said the reigning Vezina winner. “He’s just a lovable goofball.”

“Some goalie coaches want it their way or the highway,” said Swayman. “Others do it the way I like it, which is you don’t change your goalie, you just give them verbal cues. You help what his strengths are, you just keep improving him with experience and time. So, Bob’s done an incredible job of that. I mean, I love him away from the rink just as much as I do at the rink. So, it’s a pretty special relationship that we’ve gotten to develop, and we’ll continue to.”

It’s not just the technical side of coaching where Essensa excels. It’s also the personal side. Like baseball catchers, hockey goalies can be, well, quirky. As Essensa said, you can come across some “extreme personalities” in the cage.

“I guess I was just always one of those guys, even back in my playing days, that tended to get along with everybody regardless of where they came from or what nationality they were,” he said. “So, I try to keep that same approach coming into coaching. And the bottom line for me, I only have to work with one or two guys. I only have to get along with a couple guys, which is nice. But yeah, you definitely see some personalities and there’s a reason why all these guys are able to get to this level. They have a certain skill set or mental approach, so you just try to adapt as best you can to each one that comes along.”

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
think the org has just fully decided that Lysell isn't getting a look this year? Cause this team desperately needs a top 6 play driver right now, and it feels a little insane to me to not try and see if your top prospect can be that guy before you need to address it at the deadline. You have the cap space now with Poitras on LTIR and he's in his 2nd year pro playing against men in the AHL, so it's not like you'd be rushing him or anything.

Reactions: CellyHard

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
My plan off-season is still to let Jake walk, move Zacha to lw and sign two of Stephenson, Duchene and Monahan.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
yep, that left side was a thing of beauty
Gryz, Forbort, Reilly, Moore
$12.4m of cap space almost evenly spread among 4 junk pieces

we could have had a top pair LD at $7.75-8m and a 2nd pair LD at $4.25-4.4m

Oh come on. I'm not the biggest fan of Gryz, and am glad his time in Boston is likely coming to an end, but he well overperformed his contract for the first 3 years of it, and before this disaster of a season was looking at a substantial raise in the summer. He won't get that now. He has postseason issues, especially here, but he is not alone i that.

forbort has basically played like a 3 million dollar player during his run in boston and was playing above that this season before his injury. He has been terrible after the injury

Reily didn't work out, but he played really well for them after they picked him up, and he was ok the first year on the new contract, and then got caught in the cap crunch

Moore was a bad invstment.

That said, How were you going to get said top pair?

Lets look at 2021 when they did make the FA acquisitions, and had a desperate need there was nothing on the market. Oleksiak and Larsson both went to the Krakken and were signed before FA. Hamilton was available, but not a LHD and well history, so not an option. Beyond that they tried to sign Suter but he wasn't willing , there were no #1, and arguable no #2 even available on the UFA market that summer. And Sweeney did go and get his #1 LHD at the deadline by trading for Lindholm. My guess is that deal wasn't available the previous summer.

Reactions: bob77 and PB37

RatKing

Jan 26, 2023
I wonder what it would take to get Foligno and Middleton from Minnesota, if no on Foligno I’d even take Maroon. One stop shop that solves a lot of our problems. Bruins desperatley need to find a backbone, dream trade deadline for me would be Middleton, Foligno, Giroux, and someone else who can win draws. We’ve been getting killed in the faceoff circle. I like Zacha more as a winger.

Reactions: CDJ

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
think the org has just fully decided that Lysell isn't getting a look this year? Cause this team desperately needs a top 6 play driver right now, and it feels a little insane to me to not try and see if your top prospect can be that guy before you need to address it at the deadline. You have the cap space now with Poitras on LTIR and he's in his 2nd year pro playing against men in the AHL, so it's not like you'd be rushing him or anything.

I would agree they are likely not giving him a look this year

that said expecting a minor leaguer to come up and be a top 6 play driver is also pretty absurd. Maybe he will become that in time, but if/when he is called up he will struggle at the NHL level for a period of time, even the best of the best are not that in their first blast of NHL games. Pasta struggled, and Lysell is not Pasta

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I wonder what it would take to get Foligno and Middleton from Minnesota, if no on Foligno I’d even take Maroon. One stop shop that solves a lot of our problems. Bruins desperatley need to find a backbone, dream trade deadline for me would be Middleton, Foligno, Giroux, and someone else who can win draws. We’ve been getting killed in the faceoff circle. I like Zacha more as a winger.
Wild are two points out of a Wildcard and are 7-2-1 in their last 10.

And Maroon just had back surgery.

Reactions: RatKing

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Fat Pat had back surgery I think

Foligno ain’t ever leaving Minny I don’t think

Duhaime is the 4th liner we should be looking at

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I’d personally love it if we’d stop mentioning Johnny Beecher as some casual throw-in for a deal, the guy is developing into the kind of plumber that cup winning teams are made of AND he plays like a Bruin should

Yeah, I don't get this . honestly I think you can point to a lot of this teams recent struggles at the fact that Beecher isn't here anymore, they desperately need that 4th line center who can win faceoffs , kill penalties, and play defense. He isnt fully formed there yet, but he did that well for this team, but is in Providence for waiver rules and salary cap

there record since he went down pales in comparison to their record when he played. Not all related to his absence, but I do think it is part of it.

Now some people would happily deal this asset we have developed dumped into a deal to get an older FA to be version of the same guy

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Yeah, I don't get this . honestly I think you can point to a lot of this teams recent struggles at the fact that Beecher isn't here anymore, they desperately need that 4th line center who can win faceoffs , kill penalties, and play defense. He isnt fully formed there yet, but he did that well for this team, but is in Providence for waiver rules and salary cap

there record since he went down pales in comparison to their record when he played. Not all related to his absence, but I do think it is part of it.

Now some people would happily deal this asset we have developed dumped into a deal to get an older FA to be version of the same guy
I agree, I just don't get this Beecher deal, sorry the kid is still developing, played well and helped on the pk, good job on face offs , I get it that he is not perfect but I have seen enough from him that he should be on this roster and being developed. Look around Frederic is coming to his own, LaFreniere with the Rangers have had their hiccups , but now are starting to pay off. I am sorry but I am starting to get a little wary of Monty, I sometime think he coaches not to lose his job........

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Using their record without Beecher compared to with Beecher a massive stretch. I don’t mind beecher, but during this losing stretch the bruins 4th line has looked the best it’s looked all season.

4th line is really the only line clicking right now.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I don’t mean to make Jake a whipping boy, but I just don’t care for his game. I don’t see what he gives the top lines that Boqvist or Heinen couldn’t for far less money.

Id move him out, and pay a premium for Middleton and Duhaime. Which makes Gryz or Forbort expendable once Lindholm is healthy. I’d also entertain all offers for both goaltenders, blow me away.

Reactions: Gordoff

NeelyDan

Owned by Alicat, Ladyfan and caz16
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I don’t mean to make Jake a whipping boy, but I just don’t care for his game. I don’t see what he gives the top lines that Boqvist or Heinen couldn’t for far less money.

Id move him out, and pay a premium for Middleton and Duhaime. Which makes Gryz or Forbort expendable once Lindholm is healthy. I’d also entertain all offers for both goaltenders, blow me away.
Half the time he doesn’t care for his game either

Reactions: Number8 and SPV

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

I think the Bruins really need to look at what they’re willing to resign him for if they want him back next season and if it’s less than what he wants,they should move him at the deadline,letting him walk in the offseason would be stupid.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Doesn't sound like he's earned it with his coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad