Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
You know the best way to stop a headhunter, with a headhunter on your own team. I don’t condone it or like it, but with the way the Bruins are constructed today guys like Trouba can run around taking liberties on our guys with no repercussions. So they are going to continue to do so. I don’t know how many times I’ve watched guys not finish their check on this team. The only guy on this squad that will lay a big open ice hit is there 2nd best player, I’d rather that come from 3rd/4th line 5th/6th d men types then there best defenseman.
Lucic was the guy Don addressed it unfortunately lucic has personal problems. Hope it all works out for him.

I think the plan needs to be this:

1. Do no harm
(Do not give up any picks better than 4th rounders or Lysell or Lohrei, unless the return is a no brainer….and by no brainer, I’m talking the kind of deal where 70% of posters here are ok with).

2. Accept the fact that teams can and do win cups when they aren’t top 1/2/3/4 in the league during the RS. The second the deadline ends and the roster is relatively set, put lines and pairings together and keep them for 5 games to see what you’ve got. Mike minor adjustments from there. Maybe things jell and they go on a roll like lots of other teams do when they aren’t regular season world beaters.

3. Acknowledge that having two Vezina caliber goaltenders is an unnecessary luxury and at least consider moving Ullmark if the right player/package is coming back. Yes, the plan worked, but 70% of the season is gone. Take advantage of your riches….again, provided it’s the right return.

4. Resolve JDB’s situation. Re-sign him or move him.

5. Get a couple of bottom of the roster guys at the deadline who will bring some intensity/toughness and attitude and will be here for a while to help re-invent the identity of the team.

6. Look at the big picture and take advantage of the market. Maybe I’m wrong about this, but I give them about a 15% chance at winning a cup at the moment. (Could change based on trades, other teams injuries, etc.). Given that - if someone wanted to offer a 2nd rounder or a legit prospect with some jam to his game for JVR, Heinen, Geekie, or even a Boqvist, do it. Losing one of those guys doesn’t move the needle enough to change the fortunes of this team. IMO.

7. In the off season, find a way to get at least two impactful forwards who play tough and physical. We’re not getting a Tkachuk, but there are guys out there who are capable of playing in the top 9 who actually initiate contact, enjoy hitting opponents, stick up for teammates and are tough to play against. Finally sign Hanifin.

Looking ahead to next year:

Zacha — New C — Pasta
Marchand — Poitras/Coyle — JDB(Or Replacement) or Frederic
New F - Poitras/Coyle - Frederic/New F
Boqvist - Geekie - Brazeau

Hanifin - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Lohrei - Wotherspoon/Regula

Swayman
Bussi

8. Win 2024/2025 Stanley Cup
Don gonna add for sure and go for it but it will be lesser names . Lohrei lysell and poitras going no where .

Zillah

Bleed Black and Gold
Apr 4, 2011
West Kelowna B.C.

1. Do no harm
(Do not give up any picks better than 4th rounders or Lysell or Lohrei, unless the return is a no brainer….and by no brainer, I’m talking the kind of deal where 70% of posters here are ok with).

2. Accept the fact that teams can and do win cups when they aren’t top 1/2/3/4 in the league during the RS. The second the deadline ends and the roster is relatively set, put lines and pairings together and keep them for 5 games to see what you’ve got. Mike minor adjustments from there. Maybe things jell and they go on a roll like lots of other teams do when they aren’t regular season world beaters.

3. Acknowledge that having two Vezina caliber goaltenders is an unnecessary luxury and at least consider moving Ullmark if the right player/package is coming back. Yes, the plan worked, but 70% of the season is gone. Take advantage of your riches….again, provided it’s the right return.

5. Get a couple of bottom of the roster guys at the deadline who will bring some intensity/toughness and attitude and will be here for a while to help re-invent the identity of the team.

6. Look at the big picture and take advantage of the market. Maybe I’m wrong about this, but I give them about a 15% chance at winning a cup at the moment. (Could change based on trades, other teams injuries, etc.). Given that - if someone wanted to offer a 2nd rounder or a legit prospect with some jam to his game for JVR, Heinen, Geekie, or even a Boqvist, do it. Losing one of those guys doesn’t move the needle enough to change the fortunes of this team. IMO.

7. In the off season, find a way to get at least two impactful forwards who play tough and physical. We’re not getting a Tkachuk, but there are guys out there who are capable of playing in the top 9 who actually initiate contact, enjoy hitting opponents, stick up for teammates and are tough to play against. Finally sign Hanifin.

Zacha — New C — Pasta

Hanifin - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo

Swayman
Bussi

Works for me

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Lucic was the guy Don addressed it unfortunately lucic has personal problems. Hope it all works out for him.

Don gonna add for sure and go for it but it will be lesser names . Lohrei lysell and poitras going no where .

Agree about the plan to keep L, L, & P at this very moment.

My fear is what happens when the rubber meets the road and he’s in a position where teams are making offers for them.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

I would prefer not to move Loheri unless the return is too great to pass on, as far as any other prospects if they are needed to complete a deal to better this team move them! this town is overrating them........

Reactions: The don godfather

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Whilst awaiting the Krackalack.

Enjoy responsibly,

Haggerty & Evan Marinofsky discuss Lohrei and credit the Bruins NHL scouting per Wotherspoon, Poitras, Brazeau, Richard (and throw in Jesper Bo),

Conor Ryan and Evan on Jack,

Conor and Ty Anderson,

Reactions: Gordoff

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta

1. Do no harm

Zacha — New C — Pasta

Hanifin - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo

Swayman
Bussi

Agree with everything except Ullmark. I don't think there needs to be a rush to trade him. We've got the offseason to make that decision especially since we don't know what Swayman will be looking for.

I think this season, with this team, two Vezina goalies is not just a luxury - it's a necessity.

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
I'm not moving Lohrei. I'd move Poitras and/or Lysell for an upgrade with term & not over 30. I want to move JDB for an upgrade at the deadline. He's not a guy I want to invest $5.5M+ with term. Not a core guy. Tempted to move Ullmark but ultimately an off-season move.

NeelyDan

Owned by Alicat, Ladyfan and caz16
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I'm not moving Lohrei. I'd move Poitras and/or Lysell for an upgrade with term & not over 30. I want to move JDB for an upgrade at the deadline. He's not a guy I want to invest $5.5M+ with term. Not a core guy. Tempted to move Ullmark but ultimately an off-season move.
Jake doesn’t get you an upgrade in isolation

Reactions: Gordoff

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY

1. Do no harm

Zacha — New C — Pasta

Hanifin - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo

Swayman
Bussi

I too was thinking right along the lines of #6. I'd also put Shattenkirk, Forbort in that group...get whatever you can, someone may want some D depth....I would consider move as many of them as possible and give the kids a shot.....can't do much worse

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
While it's not a game changer, I wouldn't mind getting Trenin if he tests FA. I think he'd be a good guy to either flank Beecher/Lauko or be next to Frederic on the 3rd line.
Totally agree. He'd be great here. Plays a complete game and hits everything in sight.

He'd work great with Frederic, JVR and Geekie as they all grind and work pucks down low.

I also think he'd compliment Poitras game as he is more of a shoot first kind of guy and might open up space for him and benefit from the playmaking he generates.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So I kind of wanted to give a reasoning for why a Hanifin and/or adding a RD is the right move for right now and the coming couple seasons. Bear with me my wife took the kid for the afternoon and I don't want to do my chores :).

What makes the Bruins good:

- 2 #1G playing in a rotation to keep fresh and at their best.
- 2 #1D.
- Pastrnak.
- Commitment and buy in for playing team defense.
- They actually have good depth scoring, despite how it feels recently. 4th most goals in the NHL. The forwards have been doing much better at getting in and around the net and fighting for position and getting dirty goals.

A thing to not like that should have been on the list:
- Special teams. They are still top 10 with both units, barely, but they were top 5 and its trending the wrong way quickly.

What makes the Bruins not so good:

- They only have one bona fide above average 1st line player. Wait, but what about Marchand? The Marchand being outscored by Coyle and Frederic at 5 on 5? The guy tied with Nyqvist, E. Kane, and Tyler Toffoli in 5 on 5 scoring? Yeah. He is 35. Still a good player for sure, but he isn't in the upper half of first liners anymore, either. They have been solid as a team and getting into dirty areas and scoring dirty goals, but dirty goals are lucky goals... and prone to streakiness... like we are seeing. They really really needed DeBrusk to drive more offense and he hasn’t. Which is super annoying. Folks wants to write off last year as him being a passenger or whatever, but he has only one fewer 5 on 5 goals than Marchand the year before. And in the two years before COVID his 5 on 5 goal scoring was right around the level of Stamkos, Rantanen, Wheeler, Schenn, and a host of other 1st liner names. Outside of the COVID year DeBrusk has been a 1st line level goal scorer at 5 on 5. 4 of 5 years. But then this year makes it 4 of 6 and the timing sucks.

- They spend more time in the defensive zone than the average team. Bottom 10 in shots allowed. Bottom 10 in high danger chances allowed. They only have two pairings with over 100 minutes that are above water on shot share: Lindholm/McAvoy and Lindholm/Shattenkirk. You will note that those aren't regular pairings. *INSERT SCREECHING RECORD SOUND*. How can you count having 2 #1D and commitment to team D as a pro and then follow it up with those numbers?! Well that's the next bullet.

- They are not a good team between the blue lines. Last year the Bruins had guys like Hall and Krejci who could transport the puck through center ice quickly in the middle six. Now their only forward in the top 9 that can do that is Pasta. It's a slog transitioning from defense to offense. They have tried to get some help there with Boqvist and Richard... but um... those guys aren't Krejci and Hall. Without the puck, Bergeron was a savant at disruption plays before they started and getting the puck back into Marchand and DeBrusk's hands. Their current center group just doesn't have that. All in all, this is the biggest individual difference between last years team and this years team. They are just way worse at possession and its primarily because of their play between the blue lines.

- They have had trouble closing out games. Only the Canucks have gone into the third period with the lead more than the Bruins (hey that's good!). Now, despite the Canucks loss, they have been trending better in this direction. But, a few things lead to them having trouble closing out games. 1) They have a tough time getting out of their zone when teams sell all out. 2) They are a bad neutral zone team both with and without the puck and it means the other team can re-load quickly. 3) They are not a very good team at boxing out in front of the net, although that has been improving.

- In the playoffs, you can add to this list that they don't have enough hammers to punish the other teams blue line as much as the Bruins get punished, and related to the last bullet, they are soft as a group around their own net.

Ok, so what next?

- So let's get the easy one out of the way first, they could really use a guy on the fourth line that goes out and hits and looks to punish. Duhaime has been brought up as a name that fits, but there are others. But, I also think that its worth seeing if Brazeau brings enough net front presence that maybe you decide to punt on this and live with it in exchange for some more offense from the fourth line.

- After that, in all walks of business, including building a hockey team, sometimes you have to choose between playing to your strengths or trying to patch your weaknesses. And you also have to look at how to get the best out of what you already have. Obviously, grabbing a real #1C would allow Coyle, Zacha and DeBrusk to all be in a better position to succeed. And it would probably help their neutral zone woes. But, that guy ain't available right now. So I want to talk about Hampus Lindholm and Brandon Carlo. They have been used as an extreme defensively minded shutdown pair. And they have succeed with a goals for % in the mid-60s despite being hammered with tough usage. But, it means you are totally muting Lindholm's offense. And the Bruins are a bottom team for production from the blue line. When their forward depth is built around crashing the net and point guys getting it through. Carlo also is being put in an unideal position. Last season, Carlo was 5th in 5 on 5 TOI amongst the regulars. Now he is 3rd. Part of the Bruins puck moving and possession issues are on Carlo being out there more. Last year, Lindholm was much more successful with Clifton than with Carlo. And Lorhei with Carlo makes a lot of sense: a more limited 5 on 5 usage with plenty of PK time for Carlo, protection for Lorhei, and with the chance for some extra D zone shifts for Lindholm/Carlo. So that explains them looking at RD with Carrier and Walker.

Lindholm X
Lorhei Carlo

Now you have McAvoy, Lindholm or Lorhei out there at all times providing better offense from the blue line and taking better advantage of the Bruins ability to score dirty goals.

But, you still have to deal with the fact that Gryz has regressed. And that McAvoy certainly plays better with another D that can move. Hanifin would provide an elite #2 that could serve as McAvoy's partner for the length of a new deal.

Hanifin McAvoy
Lindholm X
Lorhei Carlo

That is easily the best D in the league. And compliments the strengths and weaknesses of the forward group well. But, you are gonna have to move out Ullmark and/or DeBrusk to pull it off. But, even if you just pull off adding the RD you have immensely helped out your puck moving and your ability to generate offense from the blue line. If you add Hanifin only, well, you can at least stop burying Lindholm/Carlo so much and even sneak in some extra time with Lindholm/Shattenkirk.

In the long run, if a real #1C becomes available, having Lorhei as a chip would be valuable as heck. And would there be a better environment to have Poitras/Merkulov develop than with such a strong D group behind him?

- Lysell would be a nice add to their ability to transition the puck from the middle six. Annoyed we haven't seen it yet.

Last edited:

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
So I kind of wanted to give a reasoning for why a Hanifin and/or adding a RD is the right move for right now and the coming couple seasons. Bear with me my wife took the kid for the afternoon and I don't want to do my chores :).

- 2 #1D.
- Pastrnak.
- They actually have good depth scoring, despite how it feels recently. 4th most goals in the NHL. The forwards have been doing much better at getting in and around the net and fighting for position and getting dirty goals.

- Special teams. They are still top 10 with both units, barely, but they were top 5 and its trending the wrong way quickly.

- They only have one bona fide above average 1st line player. Wait, but what about Marchand? The Marchand being outscored by Coyle and Frederic at 5 on 5? The guy tied with Nyqvist, E. Kane, and Tyler Toffoli in 5 on 5 scoring? Yeah. He is 35. Still a good player for sure, but he isn't in the upper half of first liners anymore, either. They have been solid as a team and getting into dirty areas and scoring dirty goals, but dirty goals are lucky goals... and prone to streakiness... like we are seeing. They really really needed DeBrusk to drive more offense and he hasn’t. Which is super annoying. Folks wants to write off last year as him being a passenger or whatever, but he has only one fewer 5 on 5 goals than Marchand the year before. And in the two years before COVID his 5 on 5 goal scoring was right around the level of Stamkos, Rantanen, Wheeler, Schenn, and a host of other 1st liner names. Outside of the COVID year DeBtusk has been a 1st line level goal scorer. 4 of 5 years. But then this year makes it 4 of 6 and the timing sucks.

- They spend more time in the defensive zone than the average team. Bottom 10 in shots allowed. Bottom 10 in high danger chances allowed. They only have two pairings with over 100 minutes that are above water on shot share: Lindholm/McAvoy and Lindholm/Shattenkirk. You will note that those aren't regular pairings. *INSERT SCREECHING RECORD SOUND*. How can you count having 2 #1D and commitment to team D as a pro and then follow it up with those numbers?! Well that's the next bullet.

- They are not a good team between the blue lines. Last year the Bruins had guys like Hall and Krejci who could transport the puck through center ice quickly in the middle six. Now their only forward in the top 9 that can do that is Pasta. It's a slog transitioning from defense to offense. They have tried to get some help there with Boqvist and Richard... but um... those guys aren't Krejci and Hall. Without the puck, Bergeron was a savant at disruption plays before they started and getting the puck back into Marchand and DeBrusk's hands. Their current center group just doesn't have that. All in all, this is the biggest individual difference between last years team and this years team. They are just way worse at possession and its primarily because of their play between the blue lines.

- They have had trouble closing out games. Only the Canucks have gone into the third period with the lead more than the Bruins (hey that's good!). Now, despite the Canucks loss, they have been trending better in this direction. But, a few things lead to them having trouble closing out games. 1) They have a tough time getting out of their zone when teams sell all out. 2) They are a bad neutral zone team both with and without the puck and it means the other team can re-load quickly. 3) They are not a very good team at boxing out in front of the net, although that has been improving.

- In the playoffs, you can add to this list that they don't have enough hammers to punish the other teams blue line as much as the Bruins get punished, and related to the last bullet, they are soft as a group around their own net.

Ok, so what next?

- So let's get the easy one out of the way first, they could really use a guy on the fourth line that goes out and hits and looks to punish. Duhaime has been brought up as a name that fits, but there are others. But, I also think that its worth seeing if Brazeau brings enough net front presence that maybe you decide to punt on this and live with it in exchange for some more offense from the fourth line.

- After that, in all walks of business, including building a hockey team, sometimes you have to choose between playing to your strengths or trying to patch your weaknesses. And you also have to look at how to get the best out of what you already have. Obviously, grabbing a real #1C would allow Coyle, Zacha and DeBrusk to all be in a better position to succeed. And it would probably help their neutral zone woes. But, that guy ain't available right now. So I want to talk about Hampus Lindholm and Brandon Carlo. They have been used as an extreme defensively minded shutdown pair. And they have succeed with a goals for % in the mid-60s despite being hammered with tough usage. But, it means you are totally muting Lindholm's offense. And the Bruins are a bottom team for production from the blue line. When their forward depth is built around crashing the net and point guys getting it through. Carlo also is being put in an unideal position. Last season, Carlo was 5th in 5 on 5 TOI amongst the regulars. Now he is 3rd. Part of the Bruins puck moving and possession issues are on Carlo being out there more. Last year, Lindholm was much more successful with Clifton than with Carlo. And Lorhei with Carlo makes a lot of sense: a more limited 5 on 5 usage with plenty of PK time for Carlo, protection for Lorhei, and with the chance for some extra D zone shifts for Lindholm/Carlo. So that explains them looking at RD with Carrier and Walker.

Lindholm X
Lorhei Carlo

Now you have McAvoy, Lindholm or Lorhei out there at all times providing better offense from the blue line and taking better advantage of the Bruins ability to score dirty goals.

But, you still have to deal with the fact that Gryz has regressed. And that McAvoy certainly plays better with another D that can move. Hanifin would provide an elite #2 that could serve as McAvoy's partner for the length of a new deal.

Hanifin McAvoy
Lindholm X
Lorhei Carlo

That is easily the best D in the league. And compliments the strengths and weaknesses of the forward group well. But, you are gonna have to move out Ullmark and/or DeBrusk to pull it off. But, even if you just pull off adding the RD you have immensely helped out your puck moving and your ability to generate offense from the blue line. If you add Hanifin only, well, you can at least stop burying Lindholm/Carlo so much and even sneak in some extra time with Lindholm/Shattenkirk.

In the long run, if a real #1C becomes available, having Lorhei as a chip would be valuable as heck. And would their be a better environment to have Poitras/Merkulov develop than with such a strong D group behind him?

- Lysell would be a nice add to their ability to transition the puck from the middle six. Annoyed we haven't seen it yet.
One of the best posts I've seen in a long time. I agree that improving the defense as much as possible is the way to go for this deadline, including trading DeBrusk if required. Move on from Grzelcyk, Forbort and Shattenkirk as soon as practical.

This defense would be outstanding, especially if X is a good one:

Hanifin McAvoy
Lindholm X
Lorhei Carlo
Wotherspoon

They can address the forward ranks in the off-season.

Clode

Mark Kastelic Enjoyer
Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
Can we trade for prospects and picks instead of loading up.
I'm warming up to unloading Ullmark now too.
Good lord we're a BAD 3rd/OT/SO team.
I'd be trying hard for a 1st this year if I'm Sweeney. No picks in the first 3 rounds if I'm not mistaken.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

- 2 #1D.
- Pastrnak.

- They only have one bona fide above average 1st line player. Wait, but what about Marchand? The Marchand being outscored by Coyle and Frederic at 5 on 5? The guy tied with Nyqvist, E. Kane, and Tyler Toffoli in 5 on 5 scoring? Yeah. He is 35. Still a good player for sure, but he isn't in the upper half of first liners anymore, either. They have been solid as a team and getting into dirty areas and scoring dirty goals, but dirty goals are lucky goals... and prone to streakiness... like we are seeing. They really really needed DeBrusk to drive more offense and he hasn’t. Which is super annoying. Folks wants to write off last year as him being a passenger or whatever, but he has only one fewer 5 on 5 goals than Marchand the year before. And in the two years before COVID his 5 on 5 goal scoring was right around the level of Stamkos, Rantanen, Wheeler, Schenn, and a host of other 1st liner names. Outside of the COVID year DeBtusk has been a 1st line level goal scorer. 4 of 5 years. But then this year makes it 4 of 6 and the timing sucks.

Ok, so what next?

Lindholm X
Lorhei Carlo

Hanifin McAvoy
Lindholm X
Lorhei Carlo

In the long run, if a real #1C becomes available, having Lorhei as a chip would be valuable as heck. And would there be a better environment to have Poitras/Merkulov develop than with such a strong D group behind him?

Good post. I guess I would say that Carlo is a top 4 defenseman though. Adding at RD makes sense since Shatty doesn’t seem to have it. But I don’t think you have to upgrade on Carlo. Especially not when you’re already trading for Hanifin in this scenario. Who is the RD that would slot above Carlo? There certainly isn’t one being talked about (it’s not Carrier/Tanev/Walker/Seeler etc).

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Good post. I guess I would say that Carlo is a top 4 defenseman though. Adding at RD makes sense since Shatty doesn’t seem to have it. But I don’t think you have to upgrade on Carlo. Especially not when you’re already trading for Hanifin in this scenario. Who is the RD that would slot above Carlo? There certainly isn’t one being talked about (it’s not Carrier/Tanev/Walker/Seeler etc).

So there is better than Carlo overall and a better fit with Lindholm at 5 on 5 and those don’t have to be the same thing. Clifton has never been better than Carlo. But he allowed Lindholm to be more active offensively. Carlo still got his minutes when we included special teams, though. Carrier and Walker would fit that Clifton mold (but better) the other guys wouldn’t really bring the same benefit on the offensive front but would at least give you someone more appropriate to play with Lorhei. Say what you want about Sweeney, but he is willing to look at all angles.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
So there is better than Carlo overall and a better fit with Lindholm at 5 on 5 and those don’t have to be the same thing. Clifton has never been better than Carlo. But he allowed Lindholm to be more active offensively. Carlo still got his minutes when we included special teams, though. Carrier and Walker would fit that Clifton mold (but better) the other guys wouldn’t really bring the same benefit on the offensive front but would at least give you someone more appropriate to play with Lorhei. Say what you want about Sweeney, but he is willing to look at all angles.

The idea of having a Hanifin/McAvoy pairing with Carlo and Lindholm on 2 different pairings just sounds like a nightmare to play against. Really hope this is the direction we take along with steadily upgrading the offense where we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad