Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
No idea if there is real interest in Sean Walker, but he has been excellent on the PK this year -- an area where the Bruins have been struggling.

Walker is averaging over 2 mins per game of shorthanded time and ranks 4th of all defensemen in the NHL in on-ice goals allowed per 60 on the PK.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
@MarchysNoseKnows moving this to the correct thread.

So what’s your suggestion for the first line center issue. Just ignore it?

You constantly mention how the odds of finding top line players where we draft is highly unlikely while also saying we won’t find a center in FA and trade market.

So what’s your solution just not address it?

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
@Dr Quincy

Pulling this over to the correct thread so it’s not in the lohrei thread.

Yup quite a few top line centers moving recently. Elias Lindholm, eichel, PLD, etc. you mention the bruins don’t have the assets.

Potentially true, but that’s because Sweeney traded those assets away for rentals. He’s left the cupboard pretty bare asset and salary cap wise unfortunately, all on rentals.

He gets paid to be the GM and to figure it out. He needs to make some moves to set up this roster for the future. Or else is going to be a lot more rinse and repeat of first and second round exits.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If the Anaheim Ducks thought Zegras was going to be even a low-end No.1 C, he isn't even on the block.

I think they are seeing both warts in his game and that he's probably better suited to the wing. May not have the defensive chops to play in the middle.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
@MarchysNoseKnows moving this to the correct thread.

So what’s your suggestion for the first line center issue. Just ignore it?

You constantly mention how the odds of finding top line players where we draft is highly unlikely while also saying we won’t find a center in FA and trade market.

So what’s your solution just not address it?
Build around it. If there was one popping in FA then of course you’re involved. But since they aren’t (and Elias Lindholm isn’t a 1C either plus you’d be signing to an overpaid deal in 30s), you build hard on defense and goaltender (mostly accomplished), spend/develop on the wings, and then cobble together Coyle/Zacha/Poitras/Merkulov etc down the middle. Short of a tank job - meaning a sell McAvoy, Pasta, and Swayman tank job - you’re where you are, especially without strong draft capital now.

Again, you want to ding me for saying none are available, you bring up Zegras who really isn’t a 1C for any kind of contender (or maybe anyone at this point) just because he’s young, and he’d cost you a first, Poitras, and probably Lohrei. Which would be silly.

Other than a kid who doesn’t play inside his own red line and has had an incredibly disappointing year (leaving aside his antics), what bonafide 1C is possibly available?

If the Anaheim Ducks thought Zegras was going to be even a low-end No.1 C, he isn't even on the block.

I think they are seeing both warts in his game and that he's probably better suited to the wing. May not have the defensive chops to play in the middle.
Exactly.

And PLD a top line C? Lol

Reactions: BruinDust

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Build around it. If there was one popping in FA then of course you’re involved. But since they aren’t (and Elias Lindholm isn’t a 1C either plus you’d be signing to an overpaid deal in 30s), you build hard on defense and goaltender (mostly accomplished), spend/develop on the wings, and then cobble together Coyle/Zacha/Poitras/Merkulov etc down the middle. Short of a tank job - meaning a sell McAvoy, Pasta, and Swayman tank job - you’re where you are, especially without strong draft capital now.

Again, you want to ding me for saying none are available, you bring up Zegras who really isn’t a 1C for any kind of contender (or maybe anyone at this point) just because he’s young, and he’d cost you a first, Poitras, and probably Lohrei. Which would be silly.

Other than a kid who doesn’t play inside his own red line and has had an incredibly disappointing year (leaving aside his antics), what bonafide 1C is possibly available?

Exactly.

And PLD a top line C? Lol

Elias Lindholm who is a roughly a .75ppg player and a selke candidate isn’t a top line center?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
No I think he’s a 2C as does pretty much everyone else. And I’m not lining up to overpay for a player at his age - classic that you would given previous takes on centers in their 30s.

I never said I would at all lol. All I said is that top centers have been available for trade and moving around the league. Didn’t say I’d bring him in.

He’s definitely a top line center though.

Unless they feel as though they can’t retain him then they would absolutely move him.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I never said I would at all lol. All I said is that top centers have been available for trade and moving around the league. Didn’t say I’d bring him in.

He’s definitely a top line center though.

Unless they feel as though they can’t retain him then they would absolutely move him.
Lindholm has hit 60 points three times in his career. His best year was when Tkachuk finally broke out - you bag on Jake for needing a top center to be good. Lindholm hasn’t come close to that year otherwise. One 40 goal season. Two others in the high 20s. On pace for 18 goals and 52 points this year.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Lindholm has hit 60 points three times in his career. His best year was when Tkachuk finally broke out - you bag on Jake for needing a top center to be good. Lindholm hasn’t come close to that year otherwise. One 40 goal season. Two others in the high 20s. On pace for 18 goals and 52 points this year.

Lindholm wasn’t good in carolina. The last 6 years in Calgary, 3 of those 6 years he’s been above 60 points.

2 of the 3 years he was below 60 points were covid shortened years. Both those covid years he was on pace for over 60 points.

Couple that with being a selke contender. That’s a top line center. He would surely be #1 on the bruins.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Lindholm wasn’t good in carolina. The last 6 years in Calgary, 3 of those 6 years he’s been above 60 points.

2 of the 3 years he was below 60 points were covid shortened years. Both those covid years he was on pace for over 60 points.

Couple that with being a selke contender. That’s a top line center. He would surely be #1 on the bruins.
27 career playoff games. 17 points. And a -11.

• Wow

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
If we can't trade for a bonafide #1 C then I'll take three #2 Cs (i.e trade for another 2C) so our 3rd line matchups will be difficult for opponents

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Definitely a concern, but that doesn’t negate the fact he’s been a #1 center for the past 6-7 years in this league unless you’re just trying to change the subject.
You’ve pointed to Eichel (who the Bruins weren’t going to be able to acquire period), Zegras, and Lindholm as comps for what Sweeney should be able to acquire if he just does his job. Not your most shining moment.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You’ve pointed to Eichel (who the Bruins weren’t going to be able to acquire period), Zegras, and Lindholm as comps for what Sweeney should be able to acquire if he just does his job. Not your most shining moment.

again I never said that. You are continuing to make things up. You said “happens all the time” to young centers moving in the league in a sarcastic manner. This was in the lohrei thread before I moved it over here to the correct thread.

This is what I said

Top line centers have been moving a lot in the nhl recently.

Let’s bring this to the roster thread though since this is lohrei

I gave you eichel, zegras and PLD as young centers who have moved recently in the NHL. I added Elias Lindholm as another general top line center who has moved recently.

Never once did I said Sweeney should have been in on eichel, Lindholm, PLD. They were merely examples of such movement.

I am however saying Sweeney should be in on zegras IF the rumors are true that he can be moved.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Other than Zegras, is there a team that is down on a center that could boom or could bust, but they are ready to move on from?

Elias Petterson has had off and on rumors about being moved as well.

what assets are we giving up for Zegras and Hanifin?

He doesn’t actually want to talk about how it can happen. Just say that “it’s Sweeney’s job” then inevitably go ape shit when an impossibility doesn’t occur.

Always funny when someone says “doesn’t want to talk about it then when I talk about it and tag you in it, you go rogue.

Par for the course I guess

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
again I never said that. You are continuing to make things up. You said “happens all the time” to young centers moving in the league in a sarcastic manner. This was in the lohrei thread before I moved it over here to the correct thread.

This is what I said

I gave you eichel, zegras and PLD as young centers who have moved recently in the NHL. I added Elias Lindholm as another general top line center who has moved recently.

Never once did I said Sweeney should have been in on eichel, Lindholm, PLD. They were merely examples of such movement.

I am however saying Sweeney should be in on zegras IF the rumors are true that he can be moved.
PLD is nowhere near a top line center. And neither is Zegras. So Eichel and Lindholm then.

Reactions: DKH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad