Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
I don't know if you poster's don't respect Dom's knowledge or just chose to ignore it. I don't know why you are trying to trade a square peg JDB into a round hole.

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
You're right. He got a concussion and it changed the way he played for the worse. He didn't battle in the corners for a long time and was a less physical player on the ice because of that. However, I highly doubt that one concussion changed the way DeBrusk so much that he needed to play with both Bergeron and Marchand in order get back to scoring 20 goals a season.

Bergeron had a trailing off in his numbers in his first season coming back from his concussion following the Randy Jones hit. The season after that saw Bergeron snap back into the form he had before the concussion. DeBrusk isn't doing that. His numbers are stalling and trailing off without help from Bergeron and Marchand to set him up. On top of that, if you look at his shooting percentages, he's bottom five on the team as well as being bottom five when it comes to shots that miss the net which happens roughly 30% of the time DeBrusk shoots the puck, contested and uncontested. Like c'mon man.

Would a stale bag of cracker jacks, two signed pucks from Craig Janney, and a 7th round pick do the job? Zegras has taken a massive step back after consecutive 60+ point seasons and he appears to be on the outs with Anaheim management. There's no way an organization that desperate to turn things around would quit on a player like Zegras if something wasn't wrong.
If the Ducks are comfy with McTavish and Carlsson as the top 2 C's moving forward, I can envision a scenario in which they attempt to move on from Zegras.

Reactions: EvilDead

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't know if you poster's don't respect Dom's knowledge or just chose to ignore it. I don't know why you are trying to trade a square peg JDB into a round hole.

to be fair Dom did say he didn't know if those were the only 3 teams who had conversations, but instead he knows those 3 teams have. And we are still almost 2 weeks from the deadline so some team who has not been involved could suddenly become involved. Look at last season, the Bruins weren't really in position to consider Bertuzzi until i think Hall got hurt right before the deadline so things can change quickly

And i say this with complete and utter confidence in Dominic the great, who I love dearly

And in terms of deals where we square peg debrusk somewhere else, not sure which you mean. But there is a real possibility that if the Bruins trade DeBrusk for assets and cap space, said assets might still be routed to a 3rd team to fill the Bruins needs

Reactions: Gordoff

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Your exact quote: “now do RNH pre McDavid”

Did you separate all the shifts Debrusk played away from Krejci, Marchand, Pastrnak, Bergeron?

I feels like the goalposts have been greatly moved to fit a narrative now.
I was actually looking for one specific year where he was anywhere close to what he did last year, but the goalposts were moved. I guess it’s a two way street. Dare I say a double edged sword.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
How much offense did Nathan Horton create by himself? Tyler Seguin and Even Bruins Era Jaromir Jagr could create offence by themselves. They have a collective 6 goals in 64 games for the Bruins. Nathan Horton had 15 in 43.

Debrusk wasn’t the problem vs the panthers. Dude had 4 goals in 7 games had the 8th best +\- on the team. Bergeron is my favorite of all time AINEC but the player that played against the Panthers was not a good representative of him as a player. A -6 in 3 games. I think for example a guy like Elias Lindholm or Tomas Hertl could come in and give you a lot more than what Bergeron could muster up with a busted back.

Nathan horton was a better player than Debrusk. Even so hortons cap hit with the bruins back then would be comparable to a $5.5m cap hit in next years cap.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Nathan horton was a better player than Debrusk. Even so hortons cap hit with the bruins back then would be comparable to a $5.5m cap hit in next years cap.

I agree. The cap hit that he signed as a UFa would be 7.22 under next years cap. And that was with an unfortunate timed injury in the playoffs.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
In my opinion, that means the Bruins are out of the Hanifin race. Too many teams are after Hanifin which is driving up the price for his services.

I don't think A = B. I think it's just a case they see what they have on RD past McAvoy and Carlo and see a glaring need. Same as them looking at Carrier.

Right now it's Shattenkirk, Wotherspoon on his off-side, or Ian Mitchell. Shattenkirk hasn't been good in awhile and I think they can see that.

The Flyers can't be expecting a big return for Sean Walker, because it's Sean Walker. They aren't getting a 1st rounder or anything for him, maybe a 2nd.

What has he ever done? 29-year old with less than 300 games in the league. 2 playoff games under his belt. He's better than what the Bruins have but far from a proven commodity.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
That's an absolute load of rubbish. DeBrusk's numbers are in the tank and he's regressed back to the player he was before playing with Marchand and Bergeron to the point Montgomery's buried him on the third line with Danton f'n Heinen taking his slot on the first. He hasn't maintained any sort of consistency from last year and has been getting passed by in terms of production by players like Trent Frederic and a resurgent James van Riemsdyk since DeBrusk's initial start to the year.

Convenient of you to leave out the stretch between 2019 and 2021. I...I wonder what happen during those seasons.

View attachment 824599

oh...oh dear...

I mean the 25 goal pace in 2019 isn’t garbage.

Look, he obviously had the bad COVID year.
And he has now had two stretches this year where he has looked like the COVID guy, but he also was a very good winger with Krejci and a rotation of Ryan Spooner, cooked Backes and Kuhlman before COVID.

He hasn’t just been a Bergeron/Marchand product and to suggest he has is completely being disingenuous and ignoring facts to push a narrative.

He has had years where he paced for 30-35. He has had years where it was more 20-25. He has the horrible COVID year. Even including that, he has averaged 24.6 per 82 in his career. He is right around guys like Fiala, Schenn, Hoffman, Kempe, Zucker, Tuch, Saad, Reilly Smith, etc in that period. Solid 2nd line guys.

The disappointment is that we have seen him go off in stretches where he was a true first line guy. And then you start talking about contracts that start with a 6 or even a 7.

This year he is pacing for 19 over 82. It’s insanely disappointing after it seemed like he “figured it out”. But if he will sign for a number that starts with a 5, that’s totally fine for a 2nd line guy, especially now that he has expanded his game to at least be useful when he isn’t scoring.

I mean, we all know if he is traded and signs a new deal he is scoring 10 in 15 or something stupid, right?

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
That’s still roughly a 15%-20% increase in production for Debrusk. And that 18-19 season was with one of the bruins all time best centers David krejci.

I wasn’t saying bergeron = mcdavid or that Debrusk benefitted to the exact same degree as RNH. Just saying players like RNH , Debrusk and Hymans numbers have all been greatly inflated by the line mates they play with.

But if you can’t see that Debrusk needs an elite center to put up numbers I don’t know what to tell you because it’s painfully obvious.

The bruins shouldn’t be paying $6-$7m AAV for a guy that needs Bergeron or krejci to put up 40-50 points on first or second line duty with PP time included.

Come on. Now we are using DeBrusk playing with Krejci and Ryan Spooner or Karson Kuhlman against him? Krejci was a good #2C by the time DeBrusk got here. Often with guys that didn’t belong in the league on the other wing.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I agree. The cap hit that he signed as a UFa would be 7.22 under next years cap. And that was with an unfortunate timed injury in the playoffs.

The cap hit that he signed to go to the Columbus blue jackets, so who cares what CBJ paid?

Come on. Now we are using DeBrusk playing with Krejci and Ryan Spooner or Karson Kuhlman against him? Krejci was a good #2C by the time DeBrusk got here. Often with guys that didn’t belong in the league on the other wing.

please read the whole conversation that was going on before you pick one post and try to turn it into something it wasn’t. There was a conversation already going on comparing debrusks years with bergy to other years without bergy. That was debrusks best year with our bergy. So it was a comparison. What’s the hell else are we suppose to do in a comparison?

Also heinen was their top winger next to Debrusk/krejci not kuhlman or spooner. Spooner wasn’t even on the bruins that year anymore .He also played on the top PP unit that year too.

Last edited:

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Sean Walker... Alex Carrier.... if we're to believe the insiders, Bruins are looking to upgrade the RHD position.
As they should. Shattenkirk has seen his ice time dip in the recent games he has played and is not getting it done.

I thought he may be an ok piece for them when they signed him, but I personally think he’s fallen short of those expectations.

Adding a quality player to that bottom pairing in the right side would benefit them greatly. It doesn’t have to be a stud, just a reliable player who can move up if necessary.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I don't think A = B. I think it's just a case they see what they have on RD past McAvoy and Carlo and see a glaring need. Same as them looking at Carrier.

Right now it's Shattenkirk, Wotherspoon on his off-side, or Ian Mitchell. Shattenkirk hasn't been good in awhile and I think they can see that.

The Flyers can't be expecting a big return for Sean Walker, because it's Sean Walker. They aren't getting a 1st rounder or anything for him, maybe a 2nd.

What has he ever done? 29-year old with less than 300 games in the league. 2 playoff games under his belt. He's better than what the Bruins have but far from a proven commodity.
Unless he was talking about Seeler ;)

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

bob77

Nov 19, 2014

Walker is probably smaller than Gryz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad