Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I understand mcdavid and draisaitl are very high upper echelon players. But it’s funny to watch posters bash players like RNH and Hyman for inflated numbers while playing with those guys while also failing to recognize Debrusks numbers benefited greatly from playing next to bergy/marchand.

McDavid alone had 15 more points than Bergeron and Marchand combined last year and Debrusk has produced similar numbers playing without those two. Can’t say the same about RHN.

Last edited:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Colorado owe the bruins a big-time. Is it time to cash in?

Bourque and fellow veteran Dave Andreychuk were sent to Colorado in exchange for Brian Rolston, Martin Grenier, Samuel Påhlsson and a first-round draft pick (2000 draft, 27th overall, Martin Samuelsson).

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
McDavid alone had 15 more points than Bergeron and Marchand combined last year and Debrusk has produced similar numbers playing without those two. Can’t say the same about RHN.
Really? Debrusk playing with Bergeron/Marchand in 2022-23: 50 points in 64 games, or .78 ppg (64 points per 82 game average) Debrusk the rest of his careeer: 203 points in 377 games, or .54 ppg (44 points per 82 game average) How is averaging 20 less points “similar numbers?” Not even including the end of 2021-22 when he first played with them, which would only skew the numbers further.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Really? Debrusk playing with Bergeron/Marchand in 2022-23: 50 points in 64 games, or .78 ppg (64 points per 82 game average) Debrusk the rest of his careeer: 203 points in 377 games, or .54 ppg (44 points per 82 game average) How is averaging 20 less points “similar numbers?” Not even including the end of 2021-22 when he first played with them, which would only skew the numbers further.

Debrusk 18-19 : 68gp 27 goals 42 points
Playoffs 12gp 6 goals 8 points

Debrusk 22-23: 64gp 27 goals 50 points
Playoffs 7gp 4 goals 7 points

Now you do RNH pre McDrai

• Haha
Reactions: Hookslide

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody

Ok I guess? How can you cherry pick these small samples and say he produces at a similar rate? The larger sample size of his entire career proves that to be incorrect.

Reactions: lopey

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

That's an absolute load of rubbish. DeBrusk's numbers are in the tank and he's regressed back to the player he was before playing with Marchand and Bergeron to the point Montgomery's buried him on the third line with Danton f'n Heinen taking his slot on the first. He hasn't maintained any sort of consistency from last year and has been getting passed by in terms of production by players like Trent Frederic and a resurgent James van Riemsdyk since DeBrusk's initial start to the year.

Convenient of you to leave out the stretch between 2019 and 2021. I...I wonder what happen during those seasons.

1708792627154.png

oh...oh dear...

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
That's an absolute load of rubbish. DeBrusk's numbers are in the tank and he's regressed back to the player he was before playing with Marchand and Bergeron to the point Montgomery's buried him on the third line with Danton f'n Heinen taking his slot on the first. He hasn't maintained any sort of consistency from last year and has been getting passed by in terms of production by players like Trent Frederic and a resurgent James van Riemsdyk since DeBrusk's initial start to the year.

Convenient of you to leave out the stretch between 2019 and 2021. I...I wonder what happen during those seasons.

View attachment 824599

oh...oh dear...

It’s almost like getting concussed and playing 3+ more rounds of playoff hockey immediately after can be bad for your health. But we should just brush that off. Not like we’ve ever seen concussions have bad effects on our talented forwards before…

And even in those down years 6 goals in 23 playoff games. Only 9 LWs scored more playoff goals over those 2 years.

Reactions: HustleB

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Dom is right. i only expect 2 of the 4 goalies to be here by Columbus day, whether by trade/FA?waivers.

So I do expect they will be looking in the College FA market for a goalie , to team with Dyck . But probably also a vet FA type, or maybe they gamble DiPietro can clear waivers

Harvard is so horrible this year, I don't know how much of it is on the Goalie. I don't think he would be at the top of my target list

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

That’s still roughly a 15%-20% increase in production for Debrusk. And that 18-19 season was with one of the bruins all time best centers David krejci.

I wasn’t saying bergeron = mcdavid or that Debrusk benefitted to the exact same degree as RNH. Just saying players like RNH , Debrusk and Hymans numbers have all been greatly inflated by the line mates they play with.

But if you can’t see that Debrusk needs an elite center to put up numbers I don’t know what to tell you because it’s painfully obvious.

The bruins shouldn’t be paying $6-$7m AAV for a guy that needs Bergeron or krejci to put up 40-50 points on first or second line duty with PP time included.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kegs and Gordoff

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
That’s still roughly a 20% increase in production for Debrusk. And that 18-19 season was with one of the bruins all time best centers David krejci.

I wasn’t saying bergeron = mcdavid or that Debrusk benefitted to the exact same degree as RNH. Just saying players like RNH , Debrusk and Hymans numbers have all been greatly inflated by the line mates they play with.

But if you can’t see that Debrusk needs an elite center to put up numbers I don’t know what to tell you because it’s painfully obvious.
I wouldn’t call Krejci at 32 elite. Still a great player but the hole on the other wing hurt as much as Krejci helped. Truly a 2 man line and your boy Heinen(who I like) actually couldn’t score without Marchand and Bergeron and Backes was Backes.

Also I don’t think this is a ground breaking statement but shouldn’t the plan be to acquire good centers and have good wingers for them to play with?

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Noah Hanifin, D, Calgary Flames
Contract: $4.95M through 2023-24 (pending UFA)

Hanifin has turned down the Flames’ eight-year offer and informed the club he will be testing free agency in the summer. Thus, he will undoubtedly be traded. With 700 games under his belt, the 27-year-old is just hitting his prime, making him one of the most tantalizing players to be traded at this year’s deadline.

Trevor Zegras, C, Anaheim Ducks
Contract: $5.75M through 2025-26

Rebuilding teams generally don’t trade out 22-year-old centres who are still under contract for multiple seasons, but that Zegras’ name has been floating in the rumour mill for weeks without being quashed by GM Pat Verbeek is notable.

Chris Tanev, D, Calgary Flames
Contract: $4.5M through 2023-24 (pending UFA)

The asking price starts with a second rounder, but if anyone stepped up with a first you can bet he’d be moved immediately. The Flames are balancing that waiting game with the fact they’d like to get this deal done sooner rather than later, given the injury potential every time the 34-year-old shot-blocking warrior suits up

Mario Ferraro, D, San Jose Sharks
Contract: $3.25M through 2025-26

Ferraro is young (25) and has two years left after this one at $3.25 million. That’s at the top end for what he is — a four-five D-man on a good team — but term and age make Ferraro a stealth pick-up for a team that wants to go beyond the rental market.

Joel Edmundson, D, Washington Capitals
Contract: $3.5M through 2023-24 (pending UFA)

The price shouldn’t be exorbitant, and it will be worth paying for a 6-foot-5 bruiser who plays every bit his size. Stanley Cup pedigree and an expiring $3.5-million salary only make Edmundson more attractive.

Alex Wennberg, C, Seattle Kraken

Every contender wants defencemen and centres at the deadline and Wennberg, a little under the radar due to his total of only 22 points through 56 games, could be a bargain if the Kraken decide to sell. The 29-year-old is on an expiring contract at $4.5 million – manageable for most teams with salary retention – and checks a lot of boxes as a rental. Wennberg plays in all situations and actually leads Seattle forwards in ice time (18:40). He has been linked to all the usual suspects seeking help down the middle: Colorado, Dallas, Edmonton and Boston.

Adam Henrique, C, Anaheim Ducks
Contract: $5.825M through 2023-24 (pending UFA)

Anaheim GM Pat Verbeek established a first-round pick as a minimum price for the 34-year-old who does everything well, and so far hasn’t wavered in his ask. Henrique plays in all situations and would be a third-line centre for a Cup contender and a 2C for some playoff teams. Those believed to be interested include Colorado, Dallas, Boston and Edmonton, although the Ducks may have to retain a chunk of Henrique’s $5.825-million salary.

Reactions: UncleRico

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I wouldn’t call Krejci at 32 elite. Still a great player but he the hole on the other wing hurt as much as Krejci helped. Truly a 2 man line and your boy Heinen(who I like) actually couldn’t score without Marchand and Bergeron and Backes was Backes.

Also I don’t think this is a ground breaking statement but shouldn’t the plan be to acquire good centers and have good wingers for them to play with?

As I’ve said multiple times I’d keep Debrusk at $5m AAV. However they need to pay swayman and a top line center too. You start giving Debrusk anything more than that and you start pricing yourself out of a legit #1 center.

I’d rather Sweeney target a number 1 center with Debrusks money and call up lysell and/or move Zacha to wing.

The $6.5m AAV being floated around for Debrusk is insane. That’s top 2/3 winger money. You can’t give that to a player who puts up an average of 40 points a year.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

RNH with McDavid - 0.83 p/gp
RNH without McDavid - 0.73 p/gp

Literally an 8pt per 82gp a year difference. 60p/gp versus 68p/gp.

Debrusk with Bergeron/Krejci - 0.59p/gp
Debrusk without Bergerson/Krejci (one season) - 0.48p/gp

They seems to get nearly the same bump. Granted there’s some caveats. RNH puts up more p/gp than Debrusk no matter the scenario. Debrusk has only player one season away from Bergeron/Krejci so that’s not enough of a sample size. RNH didn’t start playing with McDavid until he started hitting his prime, so hard to say if he wouldn’t have had a slight p/gp bump without him.

I really like RNH and would love him on the B’s but his age is more of a concern for me than questions regarding his production.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Yeah forbort has been dogshit since coming back from injury.
What makes you think he’s not playing somewhat injured? Same with Gryz. Lindholm will probably not be 100 percent when he gets back. It’s a grind.

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Noah Hanifin, D, Calgary Flames
Contract: $4.95M through 2023-24 (pending UFA)

Hanifin has turned down the Flames’ eight-year offer and informed the club he will be testing free agency in the summer. Thus, he will undoubtedly be traded. With 700 games under his belt, the 27-year-old is just hitting his prime, making him one of the most tantalizing players to be traded at this year’s deadline.

Trevor Zegras, C, Anaheim Ducks
Contract: $5.75M through 2025-26

Rebuilding teams generally don’t trade out 22-year-old centres who are still under contract for multiple seasons, but that Zegras’ name has been floating in the rumour mill for weeks without being quashed by GM Pat Verbeek is notable.

Chris Tanev, D, Calgary Flames

The asking price starts with a second rounder, but if anyone stepped up with a first you can bet he’d be moved immediately. The Flames are balancing that waiting game with the fact they’d like to get this deal done sooner rather than later, given the injury potential every time the 34-year-old shot-blocking warrior suits up

Mario Ferraro, D, San Jose Sharks
Contract: $3.25M through 2025-26

Ferraro is young (25) and has two years left after this one at $3.25 million. That’s at the top end for what he is — a four-five D-man on a good team — but term and age make Ferraro a stealth pick-up for a team that wants to go beyond the rental market.

Joel Edmundson, D, Washington Capitals
Contract: $3.5M through 2023-24 (pending UFA)

The price shouldn’t be exorbitant, and it will be worth paying for a 6-foot-5 bruiser who plays every bit his size. Stanley Cup pedigree and an expiring $3.5-million salary only make Edmundson more attractive.

Alex Wennberg, C, Seattle Kraken

Every contender wants defencemen and centres at the deadline and Wennberg, a little under the radar due to his total of only 22 points through 56 games, could be a bargain if the Kraken decide to sell. The 29-year-old is on an expiring contract at $4.5 million – manageable for most teams with salary retention – and checks a lot of boxes as a rental. Wennberg plays in all situations and actually leads Seattle forwards in ice time (18:40). He has been linked to all the usual suspects seeking help down the middle: Colorado, Dallas, Edmonton and Boston.

Adam Henrique, C, Anaheim Ducks
Contract: $5.825M through 2023-24 (pending UFA)

Anaheim GM Pat Verbeek established a first-round pick as a minimum price for the 34-year-old who does everything well, and so far hasn’t wavered in his ask. Henrique plays in all situations and would be a third-line centre for a Cup contender and a 2C for some playoff teams. Those believed to be interested include Colorado, Dallas, Boston and Edmonton, although the Ducks may have to retain a chunk of Henrique’s $5.825-million salary.

I would be interested to see the asking price on zegras.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
It’s almost like getting concussed and playing 3+ more rounds of playoff hockey immediately after can be bad for your health. But we should just brush that off. Not like we’ve ever seen concussions have bad effects on our talented forwards before…

And even in those down years 6 goals in 23 playoff games. Only 9 LWs scored more playoff goals over those 2 years.

You're right. He got a concussion and it changed the way he played for the worse. He didn't battle in the corners for a long time and was a less physical player on the ice because of that. However, I highly doubt that one concussion changed the way DeBrusk so much that he needed to play with both Bergeron and Marchand in order get back to scoring 20 goals a season.

Bergeron had a trailing off in his numbers in his first season coming back from his concussion following the Randy Jones hit. The season after that saw Bergeron snap back into the form he had before the concussion. DeBrusk isn't doing that. His numbers are stalling and trailing off without help from Bergeron and Marchand to set him up. On top of that, if you look at his shooting percentages, he's bottom five on the team as well as being bottom five when it comes to shots that miss the net which happens roughly 30% of the time DeBrusk shoots the puck, contested and uncontested. Like c'mon man.

I would be interested to see the asking price on zegras.

Would a stale bag of cracker jacks, two signed pucks from Craig Janney, and a 7th round pick do the job? Zegras has taken a massive step back after consecutive 60+ point seasons and he appears to be on the outs with Anaheim management. There's no way an organization that desperate to turn things around would quit on a player like Zegras if something wasn't wrong.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Me too. I think it would take a lohrei or Poitras going the other way. Unless the Ducks really covet another Bruin prospect or two.

I’d have to know how interested the bruins were in hanifin before I moved lohrei. But if you were to tell me we would be able to basically swap out Debrusk and ullmarks money next year for zegras and hanifin, id be a happy.

Reactions: TCB

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
RNH with McDavid - 0.83 p/gp
RNH without McDavid - 0.73 p/gp

Literally an 8pt per 82gp a year difference. 60p/gp versus 68p/gp.

Debrusk with Bergeron/Krejci - 0.59p/gp
Debrusk without Bergerson/Krejci (one season) - 0.48p/gp

They seems to get nearly the same bump. Granted there’s some caveats. RNH puts up more p/gp than Debrusk no matter the scenario. Debrusk has only player one season away from Bergeron/Krejci so that’s not enough of a sample size. RNH didn’t start playing with McDavid until he started hitting his prime, so hard to say if he wouldn’t have had a slight p/gp bump without him.

I really like RNH and would love him on the B’s but his age is more of a concern for me than questions regarding his production.

My point was Debrusk has produced similarly to last year in the past not playing with B and M. RNH has never been close to 100 points before last year.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
My point was Debrusk has produced similarly to last year in the past not playing with B and M. RNH has never been close to 100 points before last year.

The numbers Eddie provided say otherwise over a larger sample. Maybe if you cherry pick individual years of your choice then yes.

Reactions: EvilDead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad