Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
They'd be stupid not to.

With Swayman due for a big raise, and having shown enough to warrant investing in him as the 1, with someone like Bussi/vet backing him up. The bruins would be doing their cap a disservice by keeping Ullmark at 5 mil.
I personally love having two staying goalies. I’d try and keep both of them.

I’ve never won an award for being smart though.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Once Swayman gets signed, the cost of carrying these 2 goalies is probably going to be upwords of 11 million/ year, that's far too much for a team that has several areas that need improvement. Further to that Bussi is supposed to be more then ready to play in the NHL.

The team that beat Boston in the playoffs last year had 10.75 million tied up in two goalies.

One of the 2021 cup finalists their goalie tandem equaled a cap hit of 14.35 million. With a lower cap.

Reactions: Gordoff

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I think Ullmark is a luxury they can afford this season. If/once Swayman signs an extension though, they should move on from Ullmark. There’s too many areas of need elsewhere and you can’t play both starters. One will be an overpaid doorman every other game.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
That's the other side of this is they would be dealing Ullmark to a team that wants to win now. Very unlikely the Bruins get back any significant pieces to help them win this year. I assume at this point if/when they Ullmark, it will be mostly future-type of assets coming back.

Not necessarily. When (not if) the Bruins deal Ullmark, I expect it will be this summer. I would be shocked if they did so at or before the deadline.

They will look for future assets, possibly a first-round selection, but they'll also go for the best deal, which could include roster players.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
The team that beat Boston in the playoffs last year had 10.75 million tied up in two goalies.

One of the 2021 cup finalists their goalie tandem equaled a cap hit of 14.35 million. With a lower cap.

And the team that won the cup last year had a journeyman goalie who had a career high of 25 games before last year and it was the only season he played 20+ games.

Goaltending is a complete crapshoot.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
And the team that won the cup last year had a journeyman goalie who had a career high of 25 games before last year and it was the only season he played 20+ games.

Goaltending is a complete crapshoot.

It is. In the salary cap era there doesn't seem to any right or wrong answer into how much cap space to use on goalies.

But it's 's hard to win a cup if you overwork one guy over 82 games plus whatever in the playoffs. There is enough evidence in the salary cap era to say this is true.

I suggested trading Ullmark last off-season and going Swayman/Bussi so it's not like I'm hellbent on keeping Ullmark/Swayman as long as possible. It will come to an end, probably sooner than later, but IMO this year's trade deadline isn't the time to address it.

Listen knowing the Bruins they trade Ullmark with their luck they'd meet Ullmark's new team in the finals and lose a cup to the goalie they traded at the deadline. That's a Bruin-type of story if there ever was one.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
1) we don’t know if Ullmark would waive his no movement clause

2) the bruins like the two elite goalie system because it helps their regular season record
3 and the biggest one, is Swayman is not signed and if they traded Ullmark they would give Swayman and his agent bigtime leverage over Bruins.Ullmark has 16 team NTC list .We do not know which teams they are.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
What team in the salary cap era has ever won a cup platooning two top 10 goalies? What team has ever won a cup with 2 middle 6 centers as their 1-2. Let’s not reinvent the wheel here. You trade the older goalie and use those assets to improve the center position.
The question itself is a too specific...Of course no teams win with two top 10 goalies because how many teams ever even have two top 10 goalies on the same roster?

On the flip side how many teams get bounced early because their starter gets hurt and their backup isn't strong enough? I'm guessing every year this happens, nice to know this isn't a problem we have to worry about.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
The question itself is a too specific...Of course no teams win with two top 10 goalies because how many teams ever even have two top 10 goalies on the same roster?

On the flip side how many teams get bounced early because their starter gets hurt and their backup isn't strong enough? I'm guessing every year this happens, nice to know this isn't a problem we have to worry about.
This is a positive but Swayman is at the point now where he is ready to take that net alot more.The Bruins could turn that extra coin into another goal scorer .The time is coming in the off season for Sweeney to make Hay.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Trade Ullmark in the off-season, go with sway-bussi and if Bussi can’t cut it they can sign Tuukka as backup ietro:sarcasm:
We have two capable call ups in Bussi and Depietro, who has a much better SVPCT this year, vs Bussi ( .927 vs .908 and lower GAA 2.17 vs 2.70.)
I am all in to trade Ullmark, whenever we can get the most value for him, which could be at the trade deadline? The rumor is that the Flames ask is a first / third rounder and a roster player for Markstrom, imagine what Ullmark will bring back?

Reactions: G Backup

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Pens are apparently listening on everyone on their roster outside their core guys. Idk if Marcus Pettersson is included in that core, but he'd be a good upgrade to our top 4 if he's not. Not as big a name as Hanifin so I think he'd come cheaper, and he's a similar age and puts up similar results. Plus signed through next season at 4mil, so don't need to break the bank to keep him like you would with hanifin.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
We have two capable call ups in Bussi and Depietro, who has a much better SVPCT this year, vs Bussi ( .927 vs .908 and lower GAA 2.17 vs 2.70.)
I am all in to trade Ullmark, whenever we can get the most value for him, which could be at the trade deadline? The rumor is that the Flames ask is a first / third rounder and a roster player for Markstrom, imagine what Ullmark will bring back?
They would fetch about the same even with Ullmark 4 yrs younger.Bruins goalies rotate and play behind better defensive system.Put Linus in Calgary playing daily his numbers would be different is my bet.Markstrom has played 7 more games and faced like 200 more shots .

MillerTime29Bombs

Feb 12, 2023
Woburn
Not necessarily. When (not if) the Bruins deal Ullmark, I expect it will be this summer. I would be shocked if they did so at or before the deadline.

They will look for future assets, possibly a first-round selection, but they'll also go for the best deal, which could include roster players.
Agree. Ulmy is a draft day trade casualty. Don won’t upset the room mid season.

Reactions: Oates2Neely and CDJ

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
in this thread, people believe Linus wouldn't waive for a quality team where he gets to be the uncontested #1.

You guys never play sports? These guys want the net.

People waive their NMCs. It has already happened once this year.

Like I don't believe the Oilers are a great fit for us, but you're crazy if you think he doesn't waive to go be the #1 there (as an example in a vacuum).

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
in this thread, people believe Linus wouldn't waive for a quality team where he gets to be the uncontested #1.

People waiver their NMCs. It has already happened once this year.

Like I don't believe the Oilers are a great fit for us, but you're crazy if you think he doesn't waive to go be the #1 there (as an example in a vacuum).
I dunno man Edm is not a city people line up to move to .The winters there are brutal most seasons ( not this yr) and it's not no quick jump to see family etc.Anyways if solely based on chance to win a Cup then yup I agree the Oilers would be a team to try and be difference with.

Reactions: Bodit9

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I dunno man Edm is not a city people line up to move to .The winters there are brutal most seasons ( not this yr) and it's not no quick jump to see family etc.Anyways if solely based on chance to win a Cup then yup I agree the Oilers would be a team to try and be difference with.

Linus would be there for 1.25 years, with 1.25 years of peak McDavid while he plays for his next contract. Of the 1.25 years, he spends like 5 actual months in Edmonton. Of the 5 months, maybe 3 are winter. It's not a big deal. I guess he's married with children. But he's from Northern Sweden. I'm gonna guess he can hack it.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Linus would be there for 1.25 years, with 1.25 years of peak McDavid while he plays for his next contract. Of the 1.25 years, he spends like 5 actual months in Edmonton. Of the 5 months, maybe 3 are winter. It's not a big deal. I guess he's married with children. But he's from Northern Sweden. I'm gonna guess he can hack it.
Keep in mind he’s already lived in Buffalo. That will change a man.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

People waive their NMCs. It has already happened once this year.

Eh, these two seem quite content with the buddy system.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Like to see some trades with Alberta. Think we need to move on from Debrusk, Gryz, Linus. Got to think EDM would be licking their chops to get Linus and Debrusk; Gryz would look great there on EDM fast ice as well.

Be a lot of cap maneuvering, but I'd be fine to see

Debrusk, Gryz, Linus, Loheri, Lysell

Turn into Hopkins, Tanev and Signed Hanafin,

Never say never

Reactions: bruins4thecup65
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad