Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
But regardless, the Bruins last year were a rush team and this year they’re playing much more of a Monty style with hard work in the boards and getting to the front of the net.
Seems like the Bruins dumped the puck into the opponent's zone more this past October than they did the entirety of the 2023 season.

As you said, it's been a fundamental change in play style - something that really stood out against a quick defense like Winnipeg's last night.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Seems like the Bruins dumped the puck into the opponent's zone more this past October than they did the entirety of the 2023 season.

As you said, it's been a fundamental change in play style - something that really stood out against a quick defense like Winnipeg's last night.
It also a big part of playoff hockey ,and it’s good that Maybee they have finally figured that out.

Reactions: BlackFrancis

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
This isn't the ideal thread to say so, but all credit to the coaching staff and roster for solid play of late.

They are receiving contributions from many, and not just on the score sheet.

Secondary scoring has improved significantly. Swayman appears to be up to the task of providing superlative goaltending through successive starts. They're closing out third periods.

Most importantly, the Bruins are finally defending well in all zones over several games. That's the first time I can say that this season with a straight face.

I have been highly critical of Sweeney and, especially, Montgomery. Criticism of both will surely continue, but each deserves sincere praise at present.

I don't expect Boston to win mistake-free hockey every night or over long stretches in a grinding 82 schedule. I expect peaks and valleys, and I don't particularly expect the B's to go anywhere in the playoffs.

It's a transitional year (which means, among other things, going with what you have and leaving the big-ticket business to the off-season). I would be thrilled with a couple of bangers, one on D, one up front.

In the event, if I bitch when unhappy with management or coaching, I can also recognize improving effort, habits and details in the micro, as well as better play system wide. That's a credit to the players, and a credit to Montgomery and his staff.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I am not sure he is to be honest, I was just saying that I have always liked him, and think he is the type of player they could use.
There's been a lot of talk on the board about what a rugged banger he is, and that the B's should get him.

Why would the Predators trade him? I don't know what he makes but it can't be much. Nashville would like to keep him, I'm sure.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
I'd go grab Middleton and Maroon. That makes us a little tougher to play against. Beecher and Poitras can battle for that 4C spot.....maybe even bump Lauko for Beecher so he can take faceoffs for Poitras.

Marchy-Coyle-Pasta
Freddy-Zacha-Debrusk
JVR-Geekie-Heinen
Lauko-Poitras-Maroon
Steen/Beecher

Lindholm-McAvoy
Middleton-Carlo (anyone who goes near Carlo, Middleton beats the tar out of)
Forbort-Shatty
Lohrei-Wortherspoon

Sway
Ullmark

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I mean I don’t see the game like it’s still 1987. That’s not what happened in the Florida series whatsoever. But regardless, the Bruins last year were a rush team and this year they’re playing much more of a Monty style with hard work in the boards and getting to the front of the net. Brandon Duhaime or whoever doesn’t change that.

Idk I feel the complete opposite. Bruins got dominated on the boards by florida. Florida was also the much more physical team and wore the bruins down the later into games and later the series went.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
If you get Kunin you reunite him with Trent on a line
They used to play together? I wouldn't mind him playing with Trent, they would have a lot of options to mix and match the bottom 6 if they grabbed Kunin.

I'd go grab Middleton and Maroon. That makes us a little tougher to play against. Beecher and Poitras can battle for that 4C spot.....maybe even bump Lauko for Beecher so he can take faceoffs for Poitras.

Marchy-Coyle-Pasta
Freddy-Zacha-Debrusk
JVR-Geekie-Heinen
Lauko-Poitras-Maroon
Steen/Beecher

Lindholm-McAvoy
Forbort-Shatty
Lohrei-Wortherspoon

Sway
Ullmark
Please for the love of God don't get Maroon. Get literally anyone else, he moves like he has cement in his skates and I just generally can't stand that guy

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
kunin makes a lot of money for what he does, bruins would have to get creative to even fit him in.
I think there are some ways to fit him in, but that might mean giving up more assets for them to retain or take a contract...would depend on the price at that point.

I believe they were linemates at Wisconsin iirc. Definitely teammates
I wouldn't mind a bottom 6 such as:

Heinen-Freddy-Kunin
Lauko-Beecher-Geekie

Could always swap LWs too.

EDIT: just realized I'm missing Poitras

Reactions: CDJ

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
This isn't the ideal thread to say so, but all credit to the coaching staff and roster for solid play of late.

They are receiving contributions from many, and not just on the score sheet.

Secondary scoring has improved significantly. Swayman appears to be up to the task of providing superlative goaltending through successive starts. They're closing out third periods.

Most importantly, the Bruins are finally defending well in all zones over several games. That's the first time I can say that this season with a straight face.

I have been highly critical of Sweeney and, especially, Montgomery. Criticism of both will surely continue, but each deserves sincere praise at present.

I don't expect Boston to win mistake-free hockey every night or over long stretches in a grinding 82 schedule. I expect peaks and valleys, and I don't particularly expect the B's to go anywhere in the playoffs.

It's a transitional year (which means, among other things, going with what you have and leaving the big-ticket business to the off-season). I would be thrilled with a couple of bangers, one on D, one up front.

In the event, if I bitch when unhappy with management or coaching, I can also recognize improving effort, habits and details in the micro, as well as better play system wide. That's a credit to the players, and a credit to Montgomery and his staff.

Great post. i too have noticed better balance and better habits the last say, five games. I hope they can do it often.

xjoeyc23x

Apr 1, 2015
All these moves eventually will equate to too many cooks in the kitchen.

line 1 - ____ - Zacha - Pasta
line 2 - Marchand - Coyle - _____
line 3 - JVR - Geekie - Frederic
line 4 - Heinen - ____ - _____

Players to use to fill in blanks.... Debrusk, PAWTWAH, Lauko, Steen, Beecher, trade

I like Debrusk with Coyle and Marchand personally. I think line 1 benefits from a player that can also slot at C when needed, but can also score and set up Pasta.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Marchy-Coyle-Pasta
Freddy-Zacha-Debrusk
JVR-Geekie-Heinen
Lauko-Poitras-Maroon
Steen/Beecher

Lindholm-McAvoy
Forbort-Shatty
Lohrei-Wortherspoon

Sway
Ullmark

So, Middleton & Maroon are just going to be given to us?

• Haha
Reactions: Hookslide

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Aside from Nurse, I don’t see much of interest.

Not as the only piece coming back, but I‘ve always liked Foegele. Good size, plays both wings, decent hands.

Definitely an improvement over someone like Steen.

Even though I think there’s about a 2% chance they’re moving either goalie in season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad