Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Nothing against Ullmark but was kinda hoping Bussi would’ve gotten chance to see how he held up during a game or two when the players from other teams have hit there stride vs preseason to see how he preformed..

On the other side of the coin I also didn’t want Ullmark out to long for the simple reason of injury prone rumours to start up with him cause I don’t want anything hurting his trade value if we eventually go that way..

Anyways either way I hope they lock up Swayman long term soon then we can open up that option without any concerns of Swayman asking for more money cause he’ll have the leverage..

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
We need a big, nasty, physical D for a playoff run —someone that will run a Sam Bennett instead of hiding away. Someone that will support a McAvoy when he is the only guy raising his physical game. Someone that will ding up a Tkachuk, like the Knights did so well.

Forget Seeler, I begged to keep Lauzon instead of Gryz and here we are…. Lauzon just scored his 5th goal already tonight and is leading the NHL in hits (old friend Gudas is 2nd).

Lauzon is 6’2 and bulked up to 225. He is DEVELOPED overall now and the only top hitter on a (potential)non-playoff team. Trotz will love him and not want to move him but we need to bring him home!
Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s really realistic. Like what you said, they don’t want to move him. You’re gunna have to pay more than you want for him and with what assets?

Seeler is probably the only realistic UFA defenseman who is reportedly available that is tough and physical. He isn’t going to lay as many hits as Lauzon but he blocks a ton of shots, sticks up for teammates and has a little K.Miller/McQuaid crazy to him.

He is a perfect Forbort replacement going forward and he will probably be cheap to resign.

We have to turn the page on the Lauzon reunion

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s really realistic. Like what you said, they don’t want to move him. You’re gunna have to pay more than you want for him and with what assets?

Seeler is probably the only realistic UFA defenseman who is reportedly available that is tough and physical. He isn’t going to lay as many hits as Lauzon but he blocks a ton of shots, sticks up for teammates and has a little K.Miller/McQuaid crazy to him.

He is a perfect Forbort replacement going forward and he will probably be cheap to resign.

We have to turn the page on the Lauzon reunion
Why is Philly selling a 2nd pair dman when they're 2 wins out of 1st in their division?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
This is a very silly idea to me - so DS gets a hard hitting defenseman only to make them not do the thing they’re good at? I feel like the example you’ll use is Hathaway from last year but we don’t know why he wasn’t as physical - could be Sweeney, could be bergy and Marchand being like he don’t do actual dirty things like the hit that f***ed up marchands shoulder and was illegal and would get him suspended in the playoffs for Boston, could have be an injury after that cross check…

A directive from Sweeney, unless they’ve explicitly said he’s done it, sounds like a bad move from him bc why acquire the player in the first place (not to mention it lacks precedent). And DS acquires all the players.

Understood but look at the results with all three pickups.

I do not find that coincidental.

And if you listened to player comments during round one, you heard comments like, "We're not going to waste our energy with stuff after the whistle." Montgomery probably told them not to engage or "take the bait."

Which, of course, is utter nonsense and if true, yet another disastrous "coaching decision" that went awry.

The Bruins got run out of that series, appearing timid, hesitant and toothless.

Whatever Montgomery said or didn't say, whatever Sweeney's involvement, that point is beyond dispute.

And you have to ask why.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
There's going to be an issue in April if you have one forward who plays a physical game, and one defenseman who plays a physical game. Again, they're playing very solid hockey, but everything changes in April. We saw that last year when other teams found that extra gear while the Bruins were stuck in neutral.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
There's going to be an issue in April if you have one forward who plays a physical game, and one defenseman who plays a physical game. Again, they're playing very solid hockey, but everything changes in April. We saw that last year when other teams found that extra gear while the Bruins were stuck in neutral.
It’s funny…what I see from the Bruins top 9 (plus Heinen) is that they are all excellent on the boards. Some of them elite. They’ve been dominant on the walls and below the net over their past stretch. Without hitzzzzz but with great effectiveness. Playoff style game.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Understood but look at the results with all three pickups.
I do not find that coincidental.
And if you listened to player comments during round one, you heard comments like, "We're not going to waste our energy with stuff after the whistle." Montgomery probably told them not to engage or "take the bait."Which, of course, is utter nonsense and if true, yet another disastrous "coaching decision" that went awry.The Bruins got run out of that series, appearing timid, hesitant and toothless.

Whatever Montgomery said or didn't say, whatever Sweeney's involvement, that point is beyond dispute.

And you have to ask why.

Be serious.

The Bruins never trailed in the series. Could have easily won games 5, 6 or 7. And those losses had nothing to do with physical intimidation.

Yes, the Bruins lost the series. But they didn't get run out of the building in any games.

Last edited:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
It’s funny…what I see from the Bruins top 9 (plus Heinen) is that they are all excellent on the boards. Some of them elite. They’ve been dominant on the walls and below the net over their past stretch. Without hitzzzzz but with great effectiveness. Playoff style game.
Again, lets see it in April when you're going into the boards and someone is trying to leave a piece of you attached to them.

Are you saying a board battle in January is the same as a board battle in April? I'm just saying, I'm not sure the likes of Danton Heinen (who has been fine) will have that extra gear.

You might not like hitting, but in the post season it's a different animal, and I'd like to have a lion or two instead of adding another poodle.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Again, lets see it in April when you're going into the boards and someone is trying to leave a piece of you attached to them.

Are you saying a board battle in January is the same as a board battle in April? I'm just saying, I'm not sure the likes of Danton Heinen (who has been fine) will have that extra gear.
I mean I don’t see the game like it’s still 1987. That’s not what happened in the Florida series whatsoever. But regardless, the Bruins last year were a rush team and this year they’re playing much more of a Monty style with hard work in the boards and getting to the front of the net. Brandon Duhaime or whoever doesn’t change that.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

The only other team that found an extra gear against Florida was Bruce Cassidy's team.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I mean I don’t see the game like it’s still 1987. That’s not what happened in the Florida series whatsoever. But regardless, the Bruins last year were a rush team and this year they’re playing much more of a Monty style with hard work in the boards and getting to the front of the net. Brandon Duhaime or whoever doesn’t change that.
Never said that.

I do like the idea of a defenseman or a forward who will dump the puck into a corner and take a piece out of you. You may not agree (not surprising) but physicality and hitting does indeed wear down other players.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Never said that.

I do like the idea of a defenseman or a forward who will dump the puck into a corner and take a piece out of you. You may not agree (not surprising) but physicality and hitting does indeed wear down other players.
I would love good players who are physical (and despite the narrative here we have some). I don’t want ok or mediocre players who hit at the expense of being good (see:Jeremy Lauzon).

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I would love good players who are physical (and despite the narrative here we have some). I don’t want ok or mediocre players who hit at the expense of being good (see:Jeremy Lauzon).
And I feel the players I have advocated for aren't shit hockey players. I think Jake Middleton would be a great add, I think a guy like Sam Carrick and a Brandon Tanev would be solid additions.

I don't need a Trevor Gillies to come in and play 4 minutes.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
And I feel the players I have advocated for aren't shit hockey players. I think Jake Middleton would be a great add, I think a guy like Sam Carrick and a Brandon Tanev would be solid additions.

Fair. Middleton is a good player. I don’t know that getting Carrick or Tanev (would much rather the other Tanev) at the cost of losing a Lauko or similar is worth it. But you have to admit there are lots of suggestions for mediocre physical players on here. Lauzon, Duhaime, Joseph, etc etc

Reactions: TobanWest

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Fair. Middleton is a good player. I don’t know that getting Carrick or Tanev (would much rather the other Tanev) at the cost of losing a Lauko or similar is worth it. But you have to admit there are lots of suggestions for mediocre physical players on here. Lauzon, Duhaime, Joseph, etc etc
Oh, totally. Some of the names I see I absolutely disagree with because like you said, they suck.

I feel last year Trent Frederic soured me in that series against the Panthers. It looked like he didn’t even want to be there, honestly. Had a great regular season, but then almost seemed like he had an identity crisis and didn’t know what type of player he was.

I’m hoping that experience can bring back that shit head in him like he had early in his career. If he can play that style of game while still producing at this rate, man, his value to this team would be insane.

If I knew Trent Frederic would up his game in April, I wouldn’t really need much more in terms of physicality up front.

I do however want to see a big, sturdy bottom pair d-man, though. I think it would be a welcome addition.

Reactions: TobanWest

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008

Middleton was a missed opportunity by Sweeney at 2022 TD. Sharks got a back up goalie and 5th pick for him.
Getting Middleton would end up the nonsense of Gryz being paired with McAvoy.

Last edited:

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Why is Philly selling a 2nd pair dman when they're 2 wins out of 1st in their division?
They're still in the middle of a rebuild and Seravalli said their plans haven't changed because of their record.

He is 7th on TSN's trade bait list.

They are also kind of loaded with defenseman...Risto and Sanheim are signed long term and they have York, Drysdale, Zamula all playing regular minutes. They have a ton of young defenseman coming up too

They could obviously elect to hold onto him, nothing is certain but I think we can assume he's available this TDL

He's a more realistic option than Lauzon and Middleton, even though they would obviously be the more preferred options. I would love to say go get those guys instead but the price is going to be significantly more because they're better and signed longer

Reactions: Gordoff

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I think the best suggestion I've seen around here for a physical guy who can actually play hockey is from @Fenian24 Luke Kunin....i would love to get him and slide Steen/Boqvist out of the lineup.

Heinen-Beecher-Kunin

Or

Lauko-Beecher-Kunin
kunin makes a lot of money for what he does, bruins would have to get creative to even fit him in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad