Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
ok a guy that fits the bill:

Nico Sturm, Sharks

2M, 62% FO, third line C you can slide on the wing. Think he just got healthy

Funny enough, Monahan is another at 56.4% and 1.9M and UFA
Big big fan of Nico Sturm. I didn’t know he could take faceoffs, but he’s big and man can he really fly.

Thing is, I’ve never understood why his game has never translated on the scoresheet. He jumps out at me when I watch him, but he’s never really found a solid foothold in the NHL. Is there an effort thing? He certainly doesn’t seem behind the play with his decision-making so I don’t think it’s a lack of hockey sense. Lack of touch? Opportunity?

Reactions: Gordoff

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I liked Beecher the first 10 games more than I do now. He stopped winning faceoffs and isn’t violent enough for me. That’s just me though. He has the nhl tools for sure. I can see him being part of bostons future. He still has some developing to do.

Thanks for the chuckle,

:)

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Big big fan of Nico Sturm. I didn’t know he could take faceoffs, but he’s big and man can he really fly.

Thing is, I’ve never understood why his game has never translated on the scoresheet. He jumps out at me when I watch him, but he’s never really found a solid foothold in the NHL. Is there an effort thing? He certainly doesn’t seem behind the play with his decision-making so I don’t think it’s a lack of hockey sense. Lack of touch? Opportunity?

I don't think I care for more than 14 goals a year in a 2M guy. Between injury and covid seasons he's never really played 75+ games in a year. But 14 goals last year is more than enough for me to slot him on line 3 and not worry about him having 20 goal pedigree. I just want him to win faceoffs, be big, and be hard to play against. With that cap hit he's seemignly well positioned for all that, and on a prime seller.

If he doesn't work on line 3, he'll definitely work on line 4

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Given what you said about him being able to fly, perhaps his brain can't keep up with his feet?

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Swayman would be a big move. But would be smart. Sway not under contract next year. Although they could move Ullmark also. In the meantime if one gets hurt it could be too late. Can’t trade either to a foe. Send one West.

Ullmark has 16 team NTC and 15 next year if my memory correct.So not that simple.
No, but players waive all the time and it still does leave half the team they can trade him to without his consent.

Swayman would be a big move. But would be smart. Sway not under contract next year. Although they could move Ullmark also. In the meantime if one gets hurt it could be too late. Can’t trade either to a foe. Send one West.
I think they re-sign Swayman, he will still be an RFA not a UFA, so they still have a bit of leverage there and they will get a deal that works for both sides.

Reactions: Gordoff

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I think more likely they keep him there and try to add someone to better pair with Heinen on the other bottom six line. Make two solid lines.

Lauko Geekie Freddy
Heinen Boqvist 3rd line quality player
Three guys for me: Kunin, McCarron or Carrick

All RH, can play center and are tough. More like 4th line guys but they find their way on the scoreboard

Seeler on defense. Can play both sides and is one of the most underrated fighters in the league.

Shouldn't cost too much

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
We need a big, nasty, physical D for a playoff run —someone that will run a Sam Bennett instead of hiding away. Someone that will support a McAvoy when he is the only guy raising his physical game. Someone that will ding up a Tkachuk, like the Knights did so well.

Forget Seeler, I begged to keep Lauzon instead of Gryz and here we are…. Lauzon just scored his 5th goal already tonight and is leading the NHL in hits (old friend Gudas is 2nd).

Lauzon is 6’2 and bulked up to 225. He is DEVELOPED overall now and the only top hitter on a (potential)non-playoff team. Trotz will love him and not want to move him but we need to bring him home!

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
We need a big, nasty, physical D for a playoff run —someone that will run a Sam Bennett instead of hiding away. Someone that will support a McAvoy when he is the only guy raising his physical game. Someone that will ding up a Tkachuk, like the Knights did so well.

Forget Seeler, I begged to keep Lauzon instead of Gryz and here we are…. Lauzon just scored his 5th goal already tonight and is leading the NHL in hits (old friend Gudas is 2nd).

Lauzon is 6’2 and bulked up to 225. He is DEVELOPED overall now and the only top hitter on a (potential)non-playoff team. Trotz will love him and not want to move him but we need to bring him home!

How confident are you that your request will be met?

Sweeney would sooner add a JAG tweener than anyone approaching physical.

Now, he could prove me wrong, as he did last spring. But I'm not holding my breath.

Nor should you.

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023

Now, he could prove me wrong, as he did last spring. But I'm not holding my breath.

Nor should you.
The problem is the physical players were not physical the minute they became Bruins. Hathaway was nothing like the Washington version. Care to guess the reason for that?

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023

But did Lauzons dad ever sharpen Ray Bourques skates?
There is little point in adding this type of player if someone is telling them to tone down their game. If we had Lauzon he would have 14 hits right now. They also would have put him on a weight loss program so he would be less likely to hurt someone.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010

Nor should you.
Sadly true, he will probably try to clone Grizlik before getting a tough D

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
But did Lauzons dad ever sharpen Ray Bourques skates?
There is little point in adding this type of player if someone is telling them to tone down their game. If we had Lauzon he would have 14 hits right now. They also would have put him on a weight loss program so he would be less likely to hurt someone.
This is a very silly idea to me - so DS gets a hard hitting defenseman only to make them not do the thing they’re good at? I feel like the example you’ll use is Hathaway from last year but we don’t know why he wasn’t as physical - could be Sweeney, could be bergy and Marchand being like he don’t do actual dirty things like the hit that f***ed up marchands shoulder and was illegal and would get him suspended in the playoffs for Boston, could have be an injury after that cross check…

A directive from Sweeney, unless they’ve explicitly said he’s done it, sounds like a bad move from him bc why acquire the player in the first place (not to mention it lacks precedent). And DS acquires all the players.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston

Colt, I think Wotherspoon is a better player. Lauzon is a tough sob but not so good at playing his position

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Colt, I think Wotherspoon is a better player. Lauzon is a tough sob but not so good at playing his position
You need both type of players , good players and tough players, they accommodate each other, a tough SOB like Lauzon makes good players even better , it is called giving them some room, give the opponent something to think about .

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
No, but players waive all the time and it still does leave half the team they can trade him to without his consent.

I think they re-sign Swayman, he will still be an RFA not a UFA, so they still have a bit of leverage there and they will get a deal that works for both sides.
Swayman is guaranteed not going ANYWHERE. I mean, how good is this guy! I love Swayman and Sweeney is gonna lock him up on an 8 year deal. 25 year old superstar goalie.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Also, I'd be on board with a Nico Sturm move. These are the kind of deals I'd explore. I have said time and time again ride this season out and enjoy this group and see what happens in the playoffs. DO NOT overspend on anyone via trade.

Need a #1/2C... explore that in the offseason via Free Agency

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
This is a very silly idea to me - so DS gets a hard hitting defenseman only to make them not do the thing they’re good at? I feel like the example you’ll use is Hathaway from last year but we don’t know why he wasn’t as physical - could be Sweeney, could be bergy and Marchand being like he don’t do actual dirty things like the hit that f***ed up marchands shoulder and was illegal and would get him suspended in the playoffs for Boston, could have be an injury after that cross check…

A directive from Sweeney, unless they’ve explicitly said he’s done it, sounds like a bad move from him bc why acquire the player in the first place (not to mention it lacks precedent). And DS acquires all the players.

Its just the ongoing narrative here.

Sweeney wants to have the softest team in the league for some unknown reason.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
You need both type of players , good players and tough players, they accommodate each other, a tough SOB like Lauzon makes good players even better , it is called giving them some room, give the opponent something to think about .
Lauzon would cost you games with his dumb penalties and terrible defensive play.

I will rather play in the playoffs with Wotherspoon, kid is solid and clears the crease and gets under the opponents skin. And he's already here.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Man this team is good this year. But they have the potential to be way better next year as well.

The back end is set for years. Resign Wotherspoon to be your 6/7. Lohrei full time in the top 4.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Lauzon would cost you games with his dumb penalties and terrible defensive play.

I will rather play in the playoffs with Wotherspoon, kid is solid and clears the crease and gets under the opponents skin. And he's already here.
Totally agree with you.
We need 8 dee going into the playoffs and have the right mix now.
I would rather spend the cap space on a depth forward.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
We are right there with the best teams in the NHL for GF and GA.......I don't see us trading Ullmark this season. Who needs a goaltender that fits the following criteria:
1. Doesn't have a starter who's better than Ullmark?
2. Is a legit contender?
3. Has the assets we'd be looking to get back in a trade for Ullmark?
4. Has the capsapce?

LA? Edm? We'd be looking to grab their 1st rounder obviously but would have to take a cap dump back as well. I don't see Ullmark waiving to go to Edmonton either. LA......maybe?

I'm a pretty big traditionalist but for two years now, we have shown that rotating goalies makes us the best team in the NHL. The numbers don't lie. Come playoffs, I do not see why we shouldn't give this a go.

Ya the two goalie system as worked, but the bruins have been the best regular season team over the past decade points wise in the NHL.

It was working with the tandem and it was working before the tandem.

The biggest difference is the playoff success. They had more playoff success without the tandem and using the extra money on an everyday player in the lineup compared to the last two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad