Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
What are we paying Chris Tanev in 2025 as he is at 4.5 million now? How much do you invest in a stay at home #5 to play 15 min a night?
Not sure. He was paid 4.45m per on a 5 year deal that ended in 2020. He then signed a 4 year deal at 4.5m per.

He’s 34 years old. I’d offer a 3 year deal at 4-4.5m per. Take the Grzelcyk money give it to him. Maybe some team offers more.

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Wow. So that would be roughly 124th in scoring out of roughly 190 top six players. Almost bottom third production. Don't want to see Jake go but he is what he is at this point. A top six 200 foot player that plays PP and PK. Not sure I would go much more than 5.5/6 average. That's me though

Honest question as I don't watch the Canucks much. On Boston, could Zadorov fit with McAvoy on the top pairing? Seeing he may be on the move again for a bigger move. Nucks going all on

A lot of differing opinions on zadorov the past few months on this forum. I’m somewhere in the middle. I think he would be a serviceable player to add and could fill an important role. As far as him playing with McAvoy. I would not want to see him on a top line in the playoffs while playing big minutes.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
coming from the guy who just said merkulov>Monaghan I couldn’t be happier you are on the opposite side

Anyhow, Debrusk is tied for 124th in total points among forwards the last 2.5 seasons. I even didn’t count his extremely poor covid season to only include his best most recent years since that’s how you want to do it.

Not ideal production for what you are trying to jump through hoops to make him out to be.

If you want to slide him up to 100ish for his defense go for it but that’s still well below $6AAV value.
Why are we not including his covid season??

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
People seriously want to pay a 35 YO D man 4.5mil for 3 years to play on our third pairing?

We'll find a decent righty D for 1mil next year to play with Wotherspoon or Lohrei. Hanifin is a little soft for my liking but if he forces his way here as a UFA I'm good with it. Not sure what people are smoking to give JDB 7 mil per hes barely above ,5 PPG? I think the young guys on the roster and in the system will be better next year. Just try and add what you have to to Ullmark to get some 1st line talent in.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
What are we paying Chris Tanev in 2025 as he is at 4.5 million now? How much do you invest in a stay at home #5 to play 15 min a night?

He's 35 later this year with a lot of hard miles and already on a downward trajectory.

Signing Tanev to a 2-3 year deal for 3-4-5 million per is like repeating the Foligno deal but on D. That's an awful lot of money for a cash strapped team to pay for character depth and leadership.

Imagine they trade Ullmark just to turn around and give his money to Tanev in the offseason. I cringed just typing that.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
People seriously want to pay a 35 YO D man 4.5mil for 3 years to play on our third pairing?

We'll find a decent righty D for 1mil next year to play with Wotherspoon or Lohrei. Hanifin is a little soft for my liking but if he forces his way here as a UFA I'm good with it. Not sure what people are smoking to give JDB 7 mil per hes barely above ,5 PPG? I think the young guys on the roster and in the system will be better next year. Just try and add what you have to to Ullmark to get some 1st line talent in.
Hanifin is a left side D.

Not saying Tanev is the right move. But this team definitely needs a veteran lock down D for the right side D to pair with Lohrei.

Prospects are not ready, I am not sure I would hang my hat on them stepping up and taking over a roster spot at this time. Beecher is probably able to play now, but I think Monty has a issue with his game. If it would help to complete a deal that betters this team bye moving any of them I would do it.Gryz is a must to be moved need the cap room, Ullmark, should have been moved at the start of the season, not sure now is the time. DeBrusk should only be moved if a replacement is coming this way.

Loheri is not a NHL ready, sorry to piss in all the Loheri, fan club Cheerios....
You’re suggesting Lohrei won’t be ready for 3rd pairing left D next season????

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
He's 35 later this year with a lot of hard miles and already on a downward trajectory.

Signing Tanev to a 2-3 year deal for 3-4-5 million per is like repeating the Foligno deal but on D. That's an awful lot of money for a cash strapped team to pay for character depth and leadership.

Imagine they trade Ullmark just to turn around and give his money to Tanev in the offseason. I cringed just typing that.
Tanev has also been quite fragile over the course of his career.

Terrific defender, but old+injury+money = rental only.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
You’re suggesting Lohrei won’t be ready for 3rd pairing left D next season????
3rd pairing on the Chicago Blackhawks? Sure.
3rd pairing on a legitimate Cup Contender? Not so sure.

Kids got a lot of upside and I expect progression next year. But he's far from the finished product, and I don't want him anywhere near our lineup this post-season, unless its due to injury.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
3rd pairing on the Chicago Blackhawks? Sure.
3rd pairing on a legitimate Cup Contender? Not so sure.

Kids got a lot of upside and I expect progression next year. But he's far from the finished product, and I don't want him anywhere near our lineup this post-season, unless its due to injury.
Well my lineup was noted as 2025 season. Maybe your post was intended for someone else

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Well my lineup was noted as 2025 season. Maybe your post was intended for someone else
Nope. I understood your original post, perfectly. You asked if I thought he was gonna be ready to be our 3LD next season, and I answered. The extra commentary was for those advocating replacing Grizz with Lohrei at LD for our playoff run this season.....

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Nope. I understood your original post, perfectly. You asked if I thought he was gonna be ready to be our 3LD next season, and I answered. The extra commentary was for those advocating replacing Grizz with Lohrei at LD for our playoff run this season.....
So you’re saying Lohrei won’t be ready for 3rd pairing next season? Chicago?

Look at recent Cup contenders and peak at their 3rd pairing D’s

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Why are we not including his covid season??

Idk they were crying wolf and didn’t want it included in his stats. So I only used the seasons they wanted included and he was still 124th in the league among forwards in scoring during their preferred stretch.

So even during his best season while paired top tier linemates in bergy and Marchand, he’s still only putting up average 2nd line offensive numbers during that timespan.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
What do people think Marchand gets this offseason?

Seems like it would be unfair to him to make him play out his last season if he was willing to take something team friendly. 2 years 12 mil? Can't really offer him a long one with the 35+ rule right?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
It really is amazing the hoops people jump through to skew stats rather than just take them at face value.

Debrusks bad season don’t count

Ullmarks bad playoffs performances don’t count only the 3 good games.

Wish we all had jobs where our bad years were deleted from memory.
it all counts. and a good manager will look at the entire body of work and make the
correct decision, whatever it is.

the ullmark thing is still puzzling though. everyone i talked to who watched that series said
the same thing. elite early in the series, bad and physically looked like a completely
different goalie toward the end. he says he wasn't injured. i'm not buying it - but good for
him for not making excuses.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
What do people think Marchand gets this offseason?

Seems like it would be unfair to him to make him play out his last season if he was willing to take something team friendly. 2 years 12 mil? Can't really offer him a long one with the 35+ rule right?
should give a discount for that line change in 2019

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
1. Cap space can be created.........Gryz, Forbort, etc
2. Have a 1st in 2015 plus whatever you get for a Gryz or Forbort or Ullmark/Debrusk if the absolute right deal came along.
3. Fair point
4. Lohrei, Beecher, Lysell, Poitras, Harrison, Bussi, are decent prospects, Bussi being obviously older but looks like he could be NHL ready.

Again, all fair points you have, I totally get your view, I just feel that if they can land an impact player without overpaying and using the assets mentioned above, they do so. Not much bottom 6 tinkering really needed, that's where they have the logjam in my opinion
It will be hard to move Gryz or Forbort if teams feel they might be injured somewhat, or playing hurt, or nursing nagging reoccuring injuries.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
He’s superior to Tippett who’s basically a hockey DH (Florida could not wait to dump him) Tippett gets 6 M then DeBrusk should get between 6.5-7.5 M

The Flyers are a trash organization so you have to overpay

I’d like to keep JD at 6 years
My bet is 6.75 x 6. Weak UFA market. Might get 8 x 7 on the open market.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
The only way I would trade for Josh Anderson and that contract, is if the habs add their first round picks for each of the remaining years on his contract, would not touch that contract.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Pass on Lindholm and Hanifin until the offseason. I would like to get Tanev and Tank but no idea how you make the money work, I keep Gryz and McAvoy together since breaking them up hasn't worked in the play-offs the past two seasons. Too bad Gryz Carlo doesn't work.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Donny should do Hanifin or nothing

Screw rentals

Merkulov is better then Monahan I don’t need anything else

They are #1 overall so they can not really improve on that
Faceoffs

I see depth D and a faceoff man.

Would love Hanifin, but not sure that happens in season.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
coming from the guy who just said merkulov>Monaghan I couldn’t be happier you are on the opposite side

Anyhow, Debrusk is tied for 124th in total points among forwards the last 2.5 seasons. I even didn’t count his extremely poor covid season to only include his best most recent years since that’s how you want to do it.

Not ideal production for what you are trying to jump through hoops to make him out to be.

If you want to slide him up to 100ish for his defense go for it but that’s still well below $6AAV value.
Why you here ? Aren’t you the season is a waste unless you win the Cup. I figure you would be a venture capitalist with multi properties on Nantucket coaching your kids club hockey & soccer teams and not wasting time here

Sean Monahan last 4 seasons averaging 9 goals …..

I googled up worst contract in hockey and he shows up every list

You haven’t watched one Providence game yet you are an expert on Merkulov

typical

Interesting takes on Jake. Those player card things everyone seems to bring up here from the Athletic has Jake being worth about 5 mil per season.
They had Eberle at 7.5 M

Interesting takes on Jake. Those player card things everyone seems to bring up here from the Athletic has Jake being worth about 5 mil per season.
They had Eberle at 7.5 M

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
My bet is 6.75 x 6. Weak UFA market. Might get 8 x 7 on the open market.
I don't think that JDB will get that kind of contract!
Reason is that he has shown that he has mental health issues in the past.
Whether it's covid related or not, the stigma is there, sure the NHL and others sports are showing they are sensitive to that issue.
It doesn't mean they won't indirectly hold that against a player, in their next contract.
Would you want to give that kind of contract to player, who may fold under pressure? No
Look at Pasta, a couple of years ago, he lost a child, but he didn't fold under that situation.
I myself have mental health issues over the last few years, with overall health issues and losing family and friends to covid.
I had to retire because of all of that. So I am not insensitive to the issue at all.

Reactions: bbfan419
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad