Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
1. Centennial Season
2. 1st in the NHL
3. Owner who loves playoff revenue
4. GM who has shown to go for it at the deadline

Anyone who thinks Sweeney and the Bruins won't be going for it this season are kidding themselves. Last year left a sour taste in everyone's mouth. Reminiscent of the 3-0 blown lead to Philly in the 1st round then next year winning the cup.

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
1. Centennial Season
2. 1st in the NHL

Anyone who thinks Sweeney and the Bruins won't be going for it this season are kidding themselves. Last year left a sour taste in everyone's mouth. Reminiscent of the 3-0 blown lead to Philly in the 1st round then next year winning the cup.
You have every right to be very wrong! Lol

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I like hanifin, but what’s the cost? Is it true he rejected an 8 year deal at $7.5 AAV?

So what a 1st rounder+ and then an 8 year deal around $7m AAV. Seems extremely steep for him.

I feel like the biggest reason I want Hanifin is because I find the alternative ways they could spend the money this offseason more risky.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I feel like the biggest reason I want Hanifin is because I find the alternative ways they could spend the money this offseason more risky.
7 mil is about what the going rate for another year of JVR and Heinen at their current production would be.

I am fine waiting for the summer to sign him.

Reactions: Ratty

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I'd rather have Cam Atkinson for the same role, imo. Articles mentioning flyers might be listening to offers for him. I think they know they are.more sellers than buyers.

Liable to blow up at any moment?
Montreal is not eating half his salary, you get him at 4.5 mil you have a good deal, I also like Atkinson, but he is 34 and has had his injury issues also. I would also put Marchand-Zacha- Pasta together....DeBrusk- Coyle- Anderson .........Lauko- Geekie- Freddy ......... I also do agree they need a d-man maybe 2.......been saying that since training camp.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Montreal is not eating half his salary, you get him at 4.5 mil you have a good deal, I also like Atkinson, but he is 34 and has had his injury issues also. I would also put Marchand-Zacha- Pasta together....DeBrusk- Coyle- Anderson .........Lauko- Geekie- Freddy ......... I also do agree they need a d-man maybe 2.......been saying that since training camp.
WOW, he is 34!

Where does the time go?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
7 mil is about what the going rate for another year of JVR and Heinen at their current production would be.

I am fine waiting for the summer to sign him.

I mean that assumes he gets there. If it is TRULY Boston or bust, I don't think we would keep getting rumors of Hanifin engaging with Calgary on an extension from time to time.

Last edited:

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
1. Centennial Season
2. 1st in the NHL

1. No Cap Space
2. No Draft Capital
3. A Real chance to complete this transition from the old core to the new core without any rebuild
4. Still a fairly thin prospect pool for high impact players (lots of middle 6 and bottom 4)

To me, going for it would be dealing Linus and or Debrusk (if he can't be signed), plus some prospects. And coming back with a bonafied 1C and left side 1D. But that's like 5% likely to me because it's hard to do. But to me that's a fence swing.

I think my 1-4 are compelling enough to think they tinker bottom depth players at most, and that's it.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
it be nice if the hanifin rumors were true and he forced his way here for a 2nd like the great taylor hall
He has no trade protection, even if the rumors are true and Hanifin will only sign long term with us, the Flames can still flip him as a rental for a 1st+ since he's the best player available this deadline. So we might get a discount, but it won't be a Hall kind of discount.

Reactions: Gordoff

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
He has no trade protection, even if the rumors are true and Hanifin will only sign long term with us, the Flames can still flip him as a rental for a 1st+ since he's the best player available this deadline. So we might get a discount, but it won't be a Hall kind of discount.
You make the critical point - Hannifin has no trade protection so Calgary's objective - if they can't resign him- is to maximize the return. The acquiring team can worry about the future- the Flames just want to get paid

it's a very interesting question for Sweeny: do you spend assets now to get control of Hannifin and have the ability to offer eight years or do you wait until the off-season and try to sign him then.

What DS does will be an interesting insight into how he views this team's chances of a deep play-off run.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
I mean that assumes he gets there. If it is TRULY Boston of bust, I don't think we would keep getting rumors of Hanifin engaging with Calgary on an extension from time to time.
I hope he stays in Calgary, spend the big money up front for a true quality center. If we add on defense get a tough stay at home guy that can defend, maybe two.

Reactions: Gordoff and EdH

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
You make the critical point - Hannifin has no trade protection so Calgary's objective - if they can't resign him- is to maximize the return. The acquiring team can worry about the future- the Flames just want to get paid

it's a very interesting question for Sweeny: do you spend assets now to get control of Hannifin and have the ability to offer eight years or do you wait until the off-season and try to sign him then.

What DS does will be an interesting insight into how he views this team's chances of a deep play-off run.
Boy are we overvaluing Hannifin or what?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I hope he stays in Calgary, spend the big money up front for a true quality center. If we add on defense get a tough stay at home guy that can defend, maybe two.
Who are the big money true quality centers that would possibly be available?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Debrusk averages per season. (Prorated for an 82 game schedule so he doesn’t get screwed over on covid years)

67 games 20 goals / 19 assists / 39 points

He’s never had 30 goals. To have a 30 goal pedigree you actually need to have scores 30 goals in a season and probably by definition multiple 30 goal season. This year he’s teetering on 20.
I think this is true. However, on a separate note, and just for clarity for all of you..... I would like to make it clear that I have movie star pedigree.

It's true that I'm not a movie star, don't necessarily look like a movie star, and have never acted. But I have the "it" factor -- and you are all going to have to just deal with that.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
1. No Cap Space
2. No Draft Capital
3. A Real chance to complete this transition from the old core to the new core without any rebuild
4. Still a fairly thin prospect pool for high impact players (lots of middle 6 and bottom 4)

To me, going for it would be dealing Linus and or Debrusk (if he can't be signed), plus some prospects. And coming back with a bonafied 1C and left side 1D. But that's like 5% likely to me because it's hard to do. But to me that's a fence swing.

I think my 1-4 are compelling enough to think they tinker bottom depth players at most, and that's it.
1. Cap space can be created.........Gryz, Forbort, etc
2. Have a 1st in 2015 plus whatever you get for a Gryz or Forbort or Ullmark/Debrusk if the absolute right deal came along.
3. Fair point
4. Lohrei, Beecher, Lysell, Poitras, Harrison, Bussi, are decent prospects, Bussi being obviously older but looks like he could be NHL ready.

Again, all fair points you have, I totally get your view, I just feel that if they can land an impact player without overpaying and using the assets mentioned above, they do so. Not much bottom 6 tinkering really needed, that's where they have the logjam in my opinion

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
If you get Hanifin on the roster prior to the passing of the trade deadline, you can re-sign him to an 8 year deal. That would mean lower AAV compared to a 7 year deal in FA.

If the deadline passes and Hanifin is elsewhere, you are then looking at a sign and trade to get him on that 8 year contract which means you are paying another team assets for them doing you that favor.

Or, just wait til UFA, sign him to 7 years at a higher AAV. Idk the specifics of what he's looking for but long term it may be worth it to get him before FA if its a decent difference in AAV.
Can they do those funky deals prior to FA for a pick and then do 8 years

I’m not sure if you can

I think this is true. However, on a separate note, and just for clarity for all of you..... I would like to make it clear that I have movie star pedigree.

It's true that I'm not a movie star, don't necessarily look like a movie star, and have never acted. But I have the "it" factor -- and you are all going to have to just deal with that.
I played John Wilkes Booth in a school play

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

I played John Wilkes Booth in a school play

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023

I think the Bruins are kind of operating under two separate timelines right now. One is the Marchand timeline, cause he's 35 and you can't expect him to be an elite PPG player forever.

The second is the McAvoy, Pasta, Swayman timeline cause in 5 years when Marchand is probably retired all those guys should still be elite level players that will want to be competing.

Hanifin is 26 and is currently a top pair caliber defenseman, he fits both timelines. It just makes so much sense as an acquisition that I'm not sure there's really anything we have I wouldn't give up except for Poitras.

Reactions: HustleB

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I get it a lot here math is their 3rd subject

excluding covid bubble short year 2020-21

Jake DeBrusk games played 6 years

82 (70) 16 goals 27 A 2017-18
82 (68) 27 goals 15 A 2018-19
82 (65) 19 goals 16 A 2019-20
82 (77) 25 goals 17 A 2021-22
82 (64) 27 goals 23 A 2022-23