Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
Maybe the scouts are there to scout the sends before they play them tonight.
Chris Johnston from TSN was mentioning how the pro scout meetings within teams are happening soon so they can plan for the deadline - just makes sense that the scouts get to as many games as possible right now on potential targets, even if they aren't actively looking to trade for said player.

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Would we do 1.5 years of a Sean Kuraly reunion? I’m not sure where his game is at now a days, but you can imagine he would be a good playmate for Beecher next year and a Beecher upgrade for this year if he is still capable.

I wouldn't touch Kuraly because of that extra year.

But I'd love to talk to CBJ about 27-year old UFA-to-be Jack Roslovic and Ivan Provorov.

Roslovic is having a down year but CBJ are awful. Pretty solid production the 3 years prior. Right-handed shot can play W or C. Would just add another capable versatile everyday forward to a group that could use a couple more. Young enough that if you get him in here and it works out they could look at extending him at good value.

Provorov is signed for one more year at a reasonable number (with some room left for rentention). He's never going to achieve what people thought his potential was a Top 10 pick, but I've always felt his game would be suited to a zone-type defensive system like the Bruins employ. Not the quickest set of feet but he's strong and sturdy and not awful with the puck.

Neither guy appears to be part of CBJ's long-term plans if they are looking at trying sell off veteran pieces and going younger.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I wouldn't touch Kuraly because of that extra year.

But I'd love to talk to CBJ about 27-year old UFA-to-be Jack Roslovic and Ivan Provorov.

Roslovic is having a down year but CBJ are awful. Pretty solid production the 3 years prior. Right-handed shot can play W or C. Would just add another capable versatile everyday forward to a group that could use a couple more. Young enough that if you get him in here and it works out they could look at extending him at good value.

Provorov is signed for one more year at a reasonable number (with some room left for rentention). He's never going to achieve what people thought his potential was a Top 10 pick, but I've always felt his game would be suited to a zone-type defensive system like the Bruins employ. Not the quickest set of feet but he's strong and sturdy and not awful with the puck.

Neither guy appears to be part of CBJ's long-term plans if they are looking at trying sell off veteran pieces and going younger.
Good thoughts there and I wouldn’t dismiss either guy as an option. But not sure either makes sense.

Unless you think Roslovic can be a top 6 wing, he goes into a pot with a very deep bottom six crew (what I think is arguably the best and deepest in the league). Freddy or JVR, Geekie, Heinen, Lauko, Boqvist, Beecher, Poitras, Steen is a hell of a bottom 8 and that doesn’t even get to Merkulov or Lysell. Not sure he’s enough of an upgrade to warrant the cost.

Provorov is purely cap hit. He’s at $6.75M. You’d have to pay heavy for 50% retention and not sure I’d give up a first+ for him. He’d be a very interesting option to pair with McAvoy but my only hesitation is the acquisition cost.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
There is no chance John Henry helps out any sports group in Boston.
Old Johnny has his own problems once Klopp leaves Liverpool at end of this season. Hope they win PL this year and make hay while the sun shines. Klopp will be hard to replace.

(sorry for thread hijack - I'm back on track starting in 3-2-1)

Reactions: Dreghorn2

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Good thoughts there and I wouldn’t dismiss either guy as an option. But not sure either makes sense.

Unless you think Roslovic can be a top 6 wing, he goes into a pot with a very deep bottom six crew (what I think is arguably the best and deepest in the league). Freddy or JVR, Geekie, Heinen, Lauko, Boqvist, Beecher, Poitras, Steen is a hell of a bottom 8 and that doesn’t even get to Merkulov or Lysell. Not sure he’s enough of an upgrade to warrant the cost.

Provorov is purely cap hit. He’s at $6.75M. You’d have to pay heavy for 50% retention and not sure I’d give up a first+ for him. He’d be a very interesting option to pair with McAvoy but my only hesitation is the acquisition cost.

I wouldn't be interested in handing over a whole lot to CBJ for either guy.

Provorov is at 4.7 as the LA Kings has some retention on his full salary. I think CBJ can only retain another million or so to add up to 50% between the two teams.

I'm fine just adding another capable forward in Roslovic (I actually like two Roslovic's really) Monty's moving guys around constantly now it seems and with such a crappy trade market in general this year, I think adding another capable forward whose should be in the line-up every night is all they can hope for. Right now 3 of Beecher/Steen/Lauko/Poitras/Boqvist would be in the line-up to start a playoff series. I'd like to get that number down to at least 2 and not terribly picky about who as long as it's an upgrade (I think he is on some if not all of those 5 guys) and no term commitment. I like Roslovic with some extension potential at just turning 27 vs. another UFA forward whose over 30 and would be gone in the summer for certain (or at least should be) so that is an added bonus.

If CBJ are expecting a big return on either guy they'll be disappointed. But who knows what direction they plan to take they are all over the place. As a UFA, the more likely player to be moved is Roslovic. I'd actually be a bit surprised if Provorov was moved but I'd definitely be asking if I'm Boston.

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I wouldn't be interested in handing over a whole lot to CBJ for either guy.

Provorov is at 4.7 as the LA Kings has some retention on his full salary. I think CBJ can only retain another million or so to add up to 50% between the two teams.

I'm fine just adding another capable forward in Roslovic (I actually like two Roslovic's really) Monty's moving guys around constantly now it seems and with such a crappy trade market in general this year, I think adding another capable forward whose should be in the line-up every night is all they can hope for. Right now 3 of Beecher/Steen/Lauko/Poitras/Boqvist would be in the line-up to start a playoff series. I'd like to get that number down to at least 2 and not terribly picky about who as long as it's an upgrade (I think he is on some if not all of those 5 guys) and no term commitment. I like Roslovic with some extension potential at just turning 27 vs. another UFA forward whose over 30 and would be gone in the summer for certain (or at least should be) so that is an added bonus.

If CBJ are expecting a big return on either guy they'll be disappointed. But who knows what direction they plan to take they are all over the place. As a UFA, the more likely player to be moved is Roslovic. I'd actually be a bit surprised if Provorov was moved but I'd definitely be asking if I'm Boston.
Good point on Provorov forgot about his retention.

Reactions: BruinDust

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I would probably have to order a custom made Provorov pride jersey.

IRight now 3 of Beecher/Steen/Lauko/Poitras/Boqvist would be in the line-up to start a playoff series. I'd like to get that number down to at least 2

Bingo.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Rumors are he's not seeing eye to eye with Marty St. Louis (according to Habs fans) - They kind of don't know what to do with him.
Do we have a guy who's good at diving? I mean, "WiFi" (Xhekaj) would be appreciated here (by some, not certain people). All we need to do is figure out who's really good at diving and embellishment although I can't think of anyone that the Bruins have that fills that description in return for him.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
I personally try staying up a few late nights over the years to watch some hockey games and lately the Flames Elias Lindholm has been invisible for the most part.

I’m not really seeing a desire here and maybe it’s a chemistry thing cause he played well with Gaudreau a couple years ago but as of late something is missing and sure it’s possible he’ll bounce back but I’d be lying saying it doesn’t concern me if that’s are target.

I guess if he didn’t cost a lot to acquire and we seen him play with us for a while before committing to a big contract I’d feel better but as of right now too just throwing money at him in the offseason or a sign and trade it’s worrisome too me.

Last edited:

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I am a Jake guy, but as much as I like him.7-7.5mil is out of the question, I agree with another poster Gee Wally, he mentioned 6-6.5 and I think he has it just about right.
To think that this guy might get anywhere near these amounts, is crazy to me. But….what do I know?

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I am a Jake guy, but as much as I like him.7-7.5mil is out of the question, I agree with another poster Gee Wally, he mentioned 6-6.5 and I think he has it just about right.

If we get him for 6x7 and he's got 30g pedigree, that's robbery for us in the back half of that deal. 30g guys will be getting 9m and up

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
If we get him for 6x7 and he's got 30g pedigree, that's robbery for us in the back half of that deal. 30g guys will be getting 9m and up
Where does this 30 goal pedigree come from? He's played what, 7 seasons now and hasn't hit it. Reminds me of how Kessel was the best 40 goal winger to never score 40 goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad