Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
As presently constituted, yes.

They'll probably lose tomorrow, btw.

Again, "A fish rots from the head."

Teams reflect their coach, their management, and their ownership.

Do the math.
That’s the thing though, it’s not management or coaching. Two different coaches, Sweeneely has consistently tried to bring in physicality including the toughest SOB left in the league (Looch). If the jacobs were to blame Sweeney wouldn’t even bother trying to bring in toughness.
I just don’t see an easy answer to why they collectively play so soft. I don’t get it.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
No one is pining for anything. One poster made a ridiculous comment that it’s the same management as the Stanley cup year. Which it isn’t.

Chiarelli was much better at identifying various skill sets to get his teams over the hump where Sweeney has yet to be able to do that and is pretty much just an analytical darling who brings in puck possession monsters but generally soft teams that get pushed around.
Is that when he gave Chris Kelly a ridiculous deal with a NTC or when he traded Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson? Can never remember.

Reactions: NDiesel

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
It's the same management and ownership that won in 11.

The coach was a part of an amazing team last year. His players from the Stars raved about him.

Its hard taking these takes of yours seriously when you're on record of saying you won't be happy if this team wins the Cup because you don't like their style of play.
Show me the record. If I wrote that, I will own up to it. I don't believe I've ever said that.

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
That’s the thing though, it’s not management or coaching. Two different coaches, Sweeneely has consistently tried to bring in physicality including the toughest SOB left in the league (Looch). If the jacobs were to blame Sweeney wouldn’t even bother trying to bring in toughness.
I just don’t see an easy answer to why they collectively play so soft. I don’t get it.

The big difference is Sweeney has tried filling out the roster with a bunch of bums at the end of their career who are tough.

Chiarelli targeted those guys in his top 6 with prime lucic and horton. Guys who set the tone much like what florida did with tkachuk.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
To me, it is about management first and foremost.

Who else constructs the team? Mr Nobody?

Sweeney has constructed these teams, and you see the result. If the players lack physicality, that is not their fault. That's not who they are.

And one guy, even Milan Lucic, is not going to make an entire team difficult to play against, or a physically intimidating club.

It doesn't work that way.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Is that when he gave Chris Kelly a ridiculous deal with a NTC or when he traded Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson? Can never remember.

I get what you’re doing here but the larsson example isn’t a good one, at the time despite eyebrows being raised larsson was considered a prime D on his potential way up and the oil, well, the oil had D needs even back then

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I get what you’re doing here but the larsson example isn’t a good one, at the time despite eyebrows being raised larsson was considered a prime D on his potential way up and the oil, well, the oil had D needs even back then
Dude the deal was absolutely killed as soon as it was announced. The memes started right away and memes weren’t really even a big thing then.

The trade is one for one…

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Ya but he doesn’t want to talk about how due to Sweeney’s terrible cap management and going all in on a first round exit team, Sweeney traded that same player for almost nothing.

Or how Sweeney gave even worse deals to guys like backes and foligno.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
On the question of toughness on the ice, does Lucic come back?

Not proposing it, nor dismissing it. Just saying it’s a question, the answer to which may impact things.

Neely and Sweeney must have some sense of whether it is a possibility, even. If it is, then there is less pressure (not no pressure, but certainly less) to make a move(s) in that regard for the playoffs.

It’s been deadly silent, but again Neely and Sweeney have a better sense than us.

Will be interesting to see.
I'm a fan of Milan. What he did cannot be excused. I would like him back with the Bruins, but I doubt that will happen.

The case is going to trial, which, counterintuitively, I believe is a good thing. For himself, his wife, his children, and his family. Better not to sweep it under the rug, which is usually the case in sports.

I don't believe Neely or Sweeney are bad actors in this sense, but a public trial is not a good look for the Boston Bruins.

Hence, I suspect they will cut ties with Milan.

The whole thing is very sad, all the way around.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Dude the deal was absolutely killed as soon as it was announced. The memes started right away and memes weren’t really even a big thing then.

The trade is one for one…

What did Sweeney get for Taylor Hall, it must have certainly been better than Adam Larsson. Can’t remember though.

• Haha

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Right. Good analog. Very on brand.

I mean it could have? I guess. But I’m not talking about it retroactively. It was killed as soon as it happened.
It probably shouldn’t have been. He was 4th overall and 5 years into his pro career - prime time. He’s an assistant captain now, so he did have something.

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
“They were extremely physical after the whistle tonight and, yeah, I don’t think we tried to match that enough,” said defenseman Charlie McAvoy

This is a problem. It’s not about matching what your opponent is doing, its about playing with pride, standing up for eachother, and protecting your effing goalie. You need to do that regardless of the opponent.
Where the hell did this mindset come from?
How about Mcavoy stepping up in that department himself? His gloves seems to be a permanent part of his hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad