Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
They have to fix being so soft. Trade Grizz for nothing (what he is worth) and open up 3.5 in cap space, for that 3.5 in cleared space you can fit Sam Carrick (850k), Brandon Duhaime (1.1M), Pat Maroon (1M), Nick Seeler (775k), Liam O'Brien (775k), Michael McCarron (775k), Kiefer Sherwood (775k) or Adam Gaudette (775k).

Mix and match, they can afford 3 of the above guys any of whom makes them instantly tougher to play against. Besides Seeler I don't see any of them going for more than a prospect (not Lysell, Lohrei or Poitras) or a pick.

As an example Carrick 4th line center, Duhaime 4th line wing, Sherwood bottom 6 wing-total salary 2.725M

They replace Boqvist (775k) and Steen(800k)

Jesper Boqvist.

A name that strikes fear in the heart of every opponent.

Like Jim Wiemer, whose last name evoked nothing so much as a fellow who wets the bed.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Except there is a UFA who will be available this summer (most likely) who by all accounts has made it clear he wants to be in Boston

I guess it is possible he could be dealt elsewhere and loves it there and that option goes away,

The fact that today there are still reports about him mulling staying in Calgary makes me think we have seriously seriously overblown this "he wants to come back" thing. If say, Detroit, trades for him and offers him 8 years, you feel confident he is going to say "no, I'm going to go to market where the max contract is 7 years and assume that Boston will pay me enough". I dunno man. I think the chances of Hanifin making it to UFA are far less than 50%.

Reactions: HustleB

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
This thread: WE NEED UPGRADES

Also this thread: Orlov, Hathaway and Bertuzzi were wasted assets!

My dudes, both of these cannot be true

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Except there is a UFA who will be available this summer (most likely) who by all accounts has made it clear he wants to be in Boston

I guess it is possible he could be dealt elsewhere and loves it there and that option goes away,
A) it’s not by all accounts and recent league history shows that it’s rare for someone of his caliber and especially age make it to FA and

2) You get him for this years playoff run too. Which when you look at rental prices makes that more palatable than it seems

Reactions: NeelyDan

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Problem is that unless the same person is saying those things, there is no contradiction…..just a disagreement within the thread.

Seems both sentiments are pretty popular though.

I think free agency lands all the toughness and the missing D. I hope they don't force the issue this year.

Reactions: Gordoff

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Middleton is more of a bottom 4D. He has a low cap hit and is signed for one more season. I think Middleton - Carlo could be a pretty good shutdown pair that would alleviate Lindholm's tough minutes.
I am not shitting on what you are saying about Middleton, but I am not trading DeBrusk to get him.........

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
This thread: WE NEED UPGRADES

Also this thread: Orlov, Hathaway and Bertuzzi were wasted assets!

My dudes, both of these cannot be true
Most everyone loved the deals and praised them while here but once they left it was typical jilted Bruins fans underplaying what they brought and what they said back then

As presently constituted, yes.

They'll probably lose tomorrow, btw.

Again, "A fish rots from the head."

Teams reflect their coach, their management, and their ownership.

Do the math.
Will the big bad red wings or penguins be bullying them? Toronto? Only Tampa or Florida would be cause for concern physically imo

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Most everyone loved the deals and praised them while here but once they left it was typical jilted Bruins fans underplaying what they brought and what they said back then

Will the big bad red wings or penguins be bullying them? Toronto? Only Tampa or Florida would be cause for concern physically imo

To me -- to me -- that may be true but beside the point.

I don't care who you're playing. Physicality and stepping up for one another is, or should be, Hockey 101. It's a big part of why I love the game.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
As presently constituted, yes.

They'll probably lose tomorrow, btw.

Again, "A fish rots from the head."

Teams reflect their coach, their management, and their ownership.

Do the math.

It's the same management and ownership that won in 11.

The coach was a part of an amazing team last year. His players from the Stars raved about him.

Its hard taking these takes of yours seriously when you're on record of saying you won't be happy if this team wins the Cup because you don't like their style of play.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

The coach was a part of an amazing team last year. His players from the Stars raved about him.

Its hard taking these takes of yours seriously when you're on record of saying you won't be happy if this team wins the Cup because you don't like their style of play.

Excuse me?

Peter Chiarelli was the GM of that club. Claude Julien was the coach. Don Sweeney was Director of Player Development.

I'll give you Mr. Burns.

The Bruins haven't won shit since.

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
I don't understand the sentiment that Hanifin could be had in FA, so make no attempt to acquire him now; it completely ignores the need a LD now. Signing him as a FA does nothing to help this season. If there's a less than 50% chance he gets to FA, but what I suspect is a pretty excellent chance you could lock him up if you trade for him now, then he should be explored as a trade target.

It's that simple.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Not until after the TDL where the cap is settled. They need every penny right now.
they aren't accruing any cap space right now, so pinching pennies does nothing for them. To me it seems like asset management, every other guy on the roster would need to pass through waivers to get sent to Prov. Except Poitras I guess, but he'd have to go to juniors.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Excuse me?

Peter Chiarelli was the GM of that club. Claude Julien was the coach. Don Sweeney was Director of Player Development.

I'll give you Mr. Burns.

The Bruins haven't won shit since.

Cam Neely was the president. Don Sweeney was AGM by 2011. Charlie Jacobs was on the board.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
If we did trade for a top D this year, I would try to get Chychrun as he could be available according to some reports, then sign Hanifin in the off-season and you can then trade Lindholm and recoup some assets.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Except chiarelli was a better GM than Sweeney

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
On the question of toughness on the ice, does Lucic come back?

Not proposing it, nor dismissing it. Just saying it’s a question, the answer to which may impact things.

Neely and Sweeney must have some sense of whether it is a possibility, even. If it is, then there is less pressure (not no pressure, but certainly less) to make a move(s) in that regard for the playoffs.

It’s been deadly silent, but again Neely and Sweeney have a better sense than us.

Will be interesting to see.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
We’re at the pining for Chiarelli segment of the season early this year. Always a great time.

No one is pining for anything. One poster made a ridiculous comment that it’s the same management as the Stanley cup year. Which it isn’t.

Chiarelli was much better at identifying various skill sets to get his teams over the hump where Sweeney has yet to be able to do that and is pretty much just an analytical darling who brings in puck possession monsters but generally soft teams that get pushed around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad