Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Guys I would consider moving, based on their play this season and our overall depth:
1. Gryz- get what you can for him but get him off this team please
2. Forbort- too many injury concerns, likely can upgrade for cheaper- Lohrei
3. Steen- has 1 goal and 1 point in 31 games, not an NHL'er at this point
4. Lauko- 2 goals and 6 pts in 37 games, need some nasty to replace this guy
5. Ullmark- people say trade him at the draft but this deadline is where he has the most value, two playoff runs to the team who trades for him. If the Bruins plan to pay Swayman in the offseason, that will show their cards come draft time and Ullmark's value will be much less, find a veteran backup or see what you have in Bussi.
6. Boqvist- 1 goal in 15 games

XXXX-Zacha-Pasta
Marchy-Coyle-Debrusk
JVR-Geekie-Freddy
Heinen-Beecher-XXXX
Poitras

XXXX-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Lohrei-Shattenkirk
Wortherspoon-XXXXX

Swayman
Bussi/Veteran tender

With Beecher, Lohrei, and Bussi up, you created 11 million dollars either trading the above/sending the fodder down to the AHL. Grab Pasta and Zacha either a LW or C. I'm not object to giving Lysell a go with Marchy and Coyle and sliding Jake up to his natural LW on the top line. Maroon on line 4 makes too much sense. Love him or hate him, he's won before and he's still an asshole to play against. I'd also poke around Zucker in Arizona. Poke around Kane in Detroit. Both would be solid adds to the top 6. Tarasenko as well. Guy can still play.
You are doing a lot of poking, but never explained how after you poked you will be able to get the job done. You have Loheri on the playoff roster but he he should not be more than a 7th or 8th defenseman on the roster.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Guys I would consider moving, based on their play this season and our overall depth:
5. Ullmark- people say trade him at the draft but this deadline is where he has the most value, two playoff runs to the team who trades for him. If the Bruins plan to pay Swayman in the offseason, that will show their cards come draft time and Ullmark's value will be much less, find a veteran backup or see what you have in Bussi.

XXXX-Zacha-Pasta
Marchy-Coyle-Debrusk
JVR-Geekie-Freddy
Heinen-Beecher-XXXX
Poitras

XXXX-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Lohrei-Shattenkirk
Wortherspoon-XXXXX

Swayman
Bussi/Veteran tender

With Beecher, Lohrei, and Bussi up, you created 11 million dollars either trading the above/sending the fodder down to the AHL. Grab Pasta and Zacha either a LW or C. I'm not object to giving Lysell a go with Marchy and Coyle and sliding Jake up to his natural LW on the top line. Maroon on line 4 makes too much sense. Love him or hate him, he's won before and he's still an asshole to play against. I'd also poke around Zucker in Arizona. Poke around Kane in Detroit. Both would be solid adds to the top 6. Tarasenko as well. Guy can still play.
Not only do top forwards and first pairing defenders need to be paid, they usually cost quite a bit in trade assets. I don't think Boston is even close. Start thinking bottom 6 utility forward and depth D, cuz that's all they'll look for...at best.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
You are doing a lot of poking, but never explained how after you poked you will be able to get the job done. You have Loheri on the playoff roster but he he should not be more than a 7th or 8th defenseman on the roster.
Hahaha, my blood pressure at 40 is high enough, when I post who is part of trade packages and read the replies, I need to walk away and take 10 deep breathes so I stopped proposing deals, just players hahahah

remer

Oct 18, 2005

XXXX-Zacha-Pasta
Marchy-Coyle-Debrusk
JVR-Geekie-Freddy
Heinen-Beecher-XXXX
Poitras

XXXX-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Lohrei-Shattenkirk
Wortherspoon-XXXXX

Swayman
Bussi/Veteran tender

I would agree on numbers 1-6 but Lauko is still a possibility of making something of himself yet. Steen and Boqvist have had pretty long auditions and unless Donny is hoping he can trade them for an asset, they are not the right players for a playoff run. UFA's like Gryz and Forbort that have worth should be dealt otherwise there is nothing in the draft pick bank. I know Lohrei is young but I think you take your chances with him. Look for a cheaper upgrade on defense as well. Linus is a big question mark. I truly believe that there are many teams that would pay a boatload for him and the timing is now. His value is incredibly high. 30 years of age starting to see some injury issues and he has never needed to take on full-time duty. Can Swayman and Bussi carry the team. Hard to say. But if you want to bring back some draft pick capital, trading Linus is one of your best shots. Lots of top teams looking for a goalie. The Bruins are too many pieces away to win the Cup. Fix up the center position and defense either with a trade, acquired picks or more likely UFA additions.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Keep seeing posts with move Ullmark etc etc etc.People need to go look up his contract .I am not sure the teams Donny would have to work with but Linus controls some of it this season & next season.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I would agree on numbers 1-6 but Lauko is still a possibility of making something of himself yet. Steen and Boqvist have had pretty long auditions and unless Donny is hoping he can trade them for an asset, they are not the right players for a playoff run. UFA's like Gryz and Forbort that have worth should be dealt otherwise there is nothing in the draft pick bank. I know Lohrei is young but I think you take your chances with him. Look for a cheaper upgrade on defense as well. Linus is a big question mark. I truly believe that there are many teams that would pay a boatload for him and the timing is now. His value is incredibly high. 30 years of age starting to see some injury issues and he has never needed to take on full-time duty. Can Swayman and Bussi carry the team. Hard to say. But if you want to bring back some draft pick capital, trading Linus is one of your best shots. Lots of top teams looking for a goalie. The Bruins are too many pieces away to win the Cup. Fix up the center position and defense either with a trade, acquired picks or more likely UFA additions.
No way linus and sway is keeping this team in the thick of things. Trade someone else.

Reactions: Gordoff

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Keep seeing posts with move Ullmark etc etc etc.People need to go look up his contract .I am not sure the teams Donny would have to work with but Linus controls some of it this season & next season.
16 team no trade list. Lots of options. Linus would more than likely be going to a contender. I am not saying this is a great option but it could be an option to help this team in the future stay competitive.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Middleton is more of a bottom 4D. He has a low cap hit and is signed for one more season. I think Middleton - Carlo could be a pretty good shutdown pair that would alleviate Lindholm's tough minutes.
I think you're paying Lindholm 6.5mil specifically to play those tough minutes, go find me a guy that can play with McAvoy instead.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Selling futures to get a top 4 LD is a viable consideration, because you need to do it next year anyway. Those players aren’t readily available in free agency. So making that move for this year and beyond - helping both our chances this year and for the future - shouldn’t be dismissed IMO.

Except there is a UFA who will be available this summer (most likely) who by all accounts has made it clear he wants to be in Boston

I guess it is possible he could be dealt elsewhere and loves it there and that option goes away,

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Except there is a UFA who will be available this summer (most likely) who by all accounts has made it clear he wants to be in Boston

I guess it is possible he could be dealt elsewhere and loves it there and that option goes away,

Has there actually been a reputable source to confirm this? I know I hear it a lot and even I had the same mindset, but when I looked around online I was unable to find anything confirming this.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Has there actually been a reputable source to confirm this? I know I hear it a lot and even I had the same mindset, but when I looked around online I was unable to find anything confirming this.
a pretty reputable french language reporter whose name I can't remember right now said it on radio, but to me it seems more like speculation then a real report. I definitely don't think it's as sure a thing that hanifin is as destined for Boston as some people are making it out to be.

Reactions: ON3M4N

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
STOP ME IF YOU'VE HEARD THIS BEFORE.

You'd like to hear it again?

Okay,

BRUINS NOTEBOOK

Bruins didn’t push back, so the Flames pushed them around Tuesday​

By Jim McBride Globe Staff,Updated February 7, 2024, 1 hour ago

Calgary's MacKenzie Weegar got in a shot at the Bruins' Jesper Boqvist during Tuesday's game.
Calgary's MacKenzie Weegar got in a shot at the Bruins' Jesper Boqvist during Tuesday's game.DANIELLE PARHIZKARAN/GLOBE STAFF

Jim Montgomery closed his press conference by succinctly summing up the Bruins’ 4-1 loss to the Flames Tuesday night at TD Garden.

“I thought Calgary was physical,” said the Boston coach. “I didn’t think we were physical.”
Instead of running into a floundering Flames team that just traded away top center Elias Lindholm during the All-Star break, the Bruins were met by a feisty Flames squad eager to show they’re not dead yet.

The visitors outmuscled and outmaneuvered their hosts at every turn. They pounced on every loose puck and bounced into Black-and-Gold bodies at every opportunity.

Holding on to pucks, stringing passes together, getting to the dirty areas to create scoring chances, and outworking opponents had been hallmarks of the Bruins’ torrid post-Christmas run (12-3-3). In their first game back from a lengthy All-Star break, those elements were missing.

“Obviously as a coaching staff, you look inwardly, and you look at our preparation. You always think, as a coach, your preparation was good. But obviously it wasn’t good enough. A lot of mental mistakes. A lot of physical mistakes. That’s a lack of real good preparation individually and collectively.”
The lack of pushback was a problem, too.

The Flames, many of whom could be auditioning for new jobs with the trade deadline a month away, took a lot of post-whistle liberties.

In the first period, Oskar Steen was belted to the ice after a net-front rush and Brad Marchand absorbed a vicious cross-check to the face from Martin Pospisil. Both hits came after the play.

The referees made Pospisil pay the piper (a five-minute major plus a game misconduct), but the Bruins didn’t match Calgary’s intensity or physicality.

“Yeah, they play hard,” said Marchand, his nose bloodied, and his cheek and mouth swollen from the Pospisil assault and a later high stick courtesy of MacKenzie Weegar. “They were getting into a lot after whistles and they were running around.

“We definitely didn’t push back enough the way we needed to elevate to their level.”

By the time the Bruins got their ire up, they were down, 4-1, and the Garden faithful were trekking to the exits in droves.

“They were extremely physical after the whistle tonight and, yeah, I don’t think we tried to match that enough,” said defenseman Charlie McAvoy, who was hit with a roughing call and a misconduct in the third after more extracurricular activities.

Bruins players refused to blame rustiness, pointing out that both teams had the same amount of rest; neither had played since Jan. 27.

McAvoy said the Bruins had solid practices Sunday and Monday but they “didn’t translate” to the first game out of the break. With the Western Conference-leading Canucks in town Thursday, McAvoy said, the loss wouldn’t necessarily serve as extra motivation.

“I mean, every single night in this league can be a humbling experience, so I don’t think I’m going to look too far into it, to be honest with you,” he said. “First game out of the break and a couple practices and those are great and all, but now we’re back to playing games and we’re the first-place team in our conference, so we’re going to get everyone’s best, even more so than we did before.

“So, this is good. This is good for us to know what to expect from [opponents].”

AND EVEN BETTER TO KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT FROM YOUR BOSTON BRUINS AND THEIR WILLFULLY BLIND GENERAL MANAGER.

This team is built for the playoffs!

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Mr. Sweeney will not be taking questions at this time,

This article is the equivalent to one that would bemoan the lack of 1958 Corvette‘s in my garage.

Yes, I would love to have several 1958 Corvette’s, the problem is I don’t have the means to acquire them.

Yes, the Bruins should be more physical, the problem is they don’t have enough players capable or willing to do so.

Last edited:

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
This article is the equivalent to one that would bemoan the lack of 1958 Corvette‘s in my garage.

Yes, I would love to have several 1958 Corvette’s, the problem is I don’t have the means to acquire them.

Yes, the Bruins should be more physical, the problem is they don’t enough players capable or willing to do so.
It's a mentality issue. Lindholm is listed at 6'4" 224lbs. Coyle is listed at 6'3" 218lbs. Both are big dudes, both were on the ice for the Marchand crosscheck, and neither did anything about. I'm not asking either to change the way they play between the whistles, but when you captain goes down after the play like that you need to do something. Go grab a guy and wrestle him down at the very least, can't just stand around.

You can add the 3 toughest dudes you can find to the 4th line, and the biggest meanest bottom pair defenseman available, and it won't change the fact that none of those are gonna be on the ice to help Marchand there. The guys on the ice NEED to respond better.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
“They were extremely physical after the whistle tonight and, yeah, I don’t think we tried to match that enough,” said defenseman Charlie McAvoy

This is a problem. It’s not about matching what your opponent is doing, its about playing with pride, standing up for eachother, and protecting your effing goalie. You need to do that regardless of the opponent.
Where the hell did this mindset come from?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

Yes, the Bruins should be more physical, the problem is they don’t enough players capable or willing to do so.

Who's f*cking responsibility is that?

“They were extremely physical after the whistle tonight and, yeah, I don’t think we tried to match that enough,” said defenseman Charlie McAvoy

This is a problem. It’s not about matching what your opponent is doing, its about playing with pride, standing up for eachother, and protecting your effing goalie. You need to do that regardless of the opponent.
Where the hell did this mindset come from?

FROM THE FRONT OFFICE. And a coach who whines about it but, evidently, does nothing to remedy the situation.

I would hope Sunny Jim has brought the matter up with Sweeney. I have my doubts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad