Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I wholeheartedly disagree.
So, you think the pieces returning in a trade will be better than him? Because if not, it’s at best a lateral move, and at worse just makes the team worse. I see zero circumstances where a trade of Gibson returns pieces that improve the team, unless the bad piece you take back rediscovers their game.

The Ducks are very bad at taking players on bad contracts from elsewhere and having them rediscover their aim.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
So, you think the pieces returning in a trade will be better than him? Because if not, it’s at best a lateral move, and at worse just makes the team worse. I see zero circumstances where a trade of Gibson returns pieces that improve the team, unless the bad piece you take back rediscovers their game.

The Ducks are very bad at taking players on bad contracts from elsewhere and having them rediscover their aim.

If Gibson is considered an 'addition by subtraction,' doesn't that mean the team is better off without him?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
If Gibson is considered an 'addition by subtraction,' doesn't that mean the team is better off without him?
It means that best case scenario is that there is a team benefit to not having him on the roster, or that you’re taking another contract back. You won’t get back something that makes the team better.

“So, do you really want to trade him, unless you think those two circumstances are better outcomes that him being on the team” was heavily implied in my original post.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
It means that best case scenario is that there is a team benefit to not having him on the roster, or that you’re taking another contract back. You won’t get back something that makes the team better.

“So, do you really want to trade him, unless you think those two circumstances are better outcomes that him being on the team” was heavily implied in my original post.

So, getting rid of Gibson would be a plus, but the "price" of doing so would (most likely be) a negative?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
So, getting rid of Gibson would be a plus, but the "price" of doing so would (most likely be) a negative?
If you see Gibson as a team cancer, getting rid of him improves team chemistry/morale, even if the return is underwhelming is the argument. You get back arguably to inarguably worse talent in order to get rid of a talent that creates more problems than it solves. That’s the definition of “addition by subtraction”.

I never said it was my argument, but it’s 100% a valid argument, yes.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
I think it's already been thrown out there but with Waddell saying he only wants a hockey trade to move Laine I wonder if Gibson straight up could be an option?
That should be a doable deal, and one I would seriously consider. They need a goalie, we need a scoring RW. Money's close, and both players have issues. Tha's pretty much a hockey trade. But would BGibby waive for Columbus?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
That should be a doable deal, and one I would seriously consider. They need a goalie, we need a scoring RW. Money's close, and both players have issues. Tha's pretty much a hockey trade. But would BGibby waive for Columbus?
Yeah, I doubt he would waive but we don’t really know who’s on his list. Maybe his list filled up before he got to add Columbus. lol

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
If you see Gibson as a team cancer, getting rid of him improves team chemistry/morale, even if the return is underwhelming is the argument. You get back arguably to inarguably worse talent in order to get rid of a talent that creates more problems than it solves. That’s the definition of “addition by subtraction”.

Correct.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Columbus might actually be a team he'd be willing to waive for (that's also relatively bad and not a contender). He's from Pittsburgh (about 2.5-3 hour drive) so it would make things easy/easier for family/friends to come see him (if that's even a consideration for him).

Laine would fill a need (good RW when he's on) & his contract is only two(?) years, so if he utterly failed/can't come back from whatever mental issues he's working through, the team isn't stuck long term.

It wouldn't be a horrible roll of the dice.

(I did read somewhere that Columbus said that they were sticking with Elvis at least for this upcoming season so they might not even want Gibson)

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Laine in Anaheim maybe Selanne can mentor him back into a top player. Laine, Cutter, McTavish, Vatrano as the shooters on the team and Carlsson, Zegras, Demidov and Terry as the playmakers. Assuming they go Demidov.

Reactions: lwvs84

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Can’t say I remember ever hearing this players name before.

He was 14th overall in 2022 and was the team USA captain at the most recent world Juniors. Another left handed forward so I don't know if the fit is there for us, but he seems like he can become a really well rounded, two way type that can score. Lacks speed but plays a smart, mature pro style game.

Again not sure if it's overly Ducks relevant but just found it interesting.

Reactions: Static and Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Rutger, I’d def be interested in…. Prob plays similar style that pv wants…. And he’s a good leader.

More of a middle 6 compliment/energy guy imo, prob ideal piece on 3rd line

I remember him having a huge hit at wjc…. I also think if I remember correctly he led the USA victory chant in Locker

30720DBC-79C0-4DC1-9603-9C1DF3730558.jpeg

I’ll add that

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
McGroarty played LW beside Cutter for the US at the WJC

McGroarty - Gauthier - Moore
Howard - Nazar - Brindley
Perreault - Smith - Leonard
Finley - Nelson - Snuggerud
Hayes

Such a loaded F group they iced this year
Loaded and all sorts of style players, might be the most balanced skilled forward line up we’ve ever seen at jrs

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I would guess that like Gauthier, his value has roughly held up to his draft position from a couple years ago - meaning you are likely looking at a mid first or equivalent package. I can pretty easily picture a team in the 12-20 range, moving their pick for McGroarty if the opportunity arises.

I wonder if something like Lacombe + Oilers 1st gets you on the dance floor?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I would guess that like Gauthier, his value has roughly held up to his draft position from a couple years ago - meaning you are likely looking at a mid first or equivalent package. I can pretty easily picture a team in the 12-20 range, moving their pick for McGroarty if the opportunity arises.

I wonder if something like Lacombe + Oilers 1st gets you on the dance floor?
I think it depends on the amount of teams mcgroaty will sign with…. If it’s like 3-4 teams…. Then I think the jets are kinda screwed in what they can ask for

Teams might be willing to pay more…. But if he only wants to play for a team or 2, won’t matter.

Mcgroaty and gauthier are best friends…. So there def is appeal for him to sign in Anaheim

I mean I’d give oiler 1st + lacombe/Vaaks pretty easily…. Prob fine with adding 1 of our 3rds to the deal

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I think it depends on the amount of teams mcgroaty will sign with…. If it’s like 3-4 teams…. Then I think the jets are kinda screwed in what they can ask for

Teams might be willing to pay more…. But if he only wants to play for a team or 2, won’t matter.

Mcgroaty and gauthier are best friends…. So there def is appeal for him to sign in Anaheim

I mean I’d give oiler 1st + lacombe/Vaaks pretty easily…. Prob fine with adding 1 of our 3rds to the deal
That would be amazing. Especially if we drafted a d at 3oa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad