Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I am glad PV is not being flippant with retention spots. It shows he's thinking everything through and not rushing. Look at the mess LA has just gone through with PLD. I, for one, appreciate PV recognizing the value of things like retention spots and making sure to extract as much value as possible of he goes down that road.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I don't see using a retention slot for Gibson for 3 years as that damaging to the Ducks. I don't see requiring all these slots to move out bad contracts with the current roster.
It's not just about moving bad contracts. It's flexibility to retain on an expiring contract(s) at the TDL as well as retain on an actual hockey trade with players going both ways.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Isn’t the whole retention slots thing kind of a moot point now that we’ve run out of guys to trade? On July 1st we’ll have 3 retention slots and only Gibson and Fowler remaining from the pre verbeek core.

Unless we’re going to start offloading Killorn Vatrano & strome

Reactions: tomd

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Why does everyone assume not crazy about retaining comes from not wanting to tie up one of three retention slots and not from ownership not wanting to pay millions for a player not on the team?
It could. But I would think that with PV having a budget he has to stick to (and a seemingly pretty hands off owner) it would be his choice how he spends it. Given that sometimes you acquire guys with other teams retaining, doesn't it all come down to just having a budget you can't exceed regardless of how you spend it?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It could. But I would think that with PV having a budget he has to stick to (and a seemingly pretty hands off owner) it would be his choice how he spends it. Given that sometimes you acquire guys with other teams retaining, doesn't it all come down to just having a budget you can't exceed regardless of how you spend it?
Hell that could be part of it too, I don’t know exactly how they do things. I can easily see them not just giving the FO a number and letting them go ham, they might care how it’s spent as well. Mostly I just can’t fathom why something as trivial as burning a retention spot would be a red line in this instance. With this roster as it is I can’t possibly imagine a scenario where you’d have regret.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Hell that could be part of it too, I don’t know exactly how they do things. I can easily see them not just giving the FO a number and letting them go ham, they might care how it’s spent as well. Mostly I just can’t fathom why something as trivial as burning a retention spot would be a red line in this instance. With this roster as it is I can’t possibly imagine a scenario where you’d have regret.
I agree. Retaining on Gibson would increase the return and also make him more tradeable. The one slot for 3 years doesn't seem like too high a price to pay at this point given the roster composition.

Reactions: gilfaizon

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
It depends what we are burning a retention slot for. Is it to just move Gibson for whatever we can get? Or is it so we can get a decent return like a late first?

Keeping Gibson isnt a bad thing. He is a good goalie and can take some of the load off Dostal as he grows into a #1. Trading Gibson means we need a vet replacement which costs money as well so its not as simple as just trade him with retention as the cost of retention + vet backup goalie may be close to what we pay to just keep Gibson

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
It depends what we are burning a retention slot for. Is it to just move Gibson for whatever we can get? Or is it so we can get a decent return like a late first?

Keeping Gibson isnt a bad thing. He is a good goalie and can take some of the load off Dostal as he grows into a #1. Trading Gibson means we need a vet replacement which costs money as well so its not as simple as just trade him with retention as the cost of retention + vet backup goalie may be close to what we pay to just keep Gibson
PV has a price for Gibson both retained and not retained. If a team meets his retained price then he pulls the trigger. What is PV's price? I've no idea.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Ultimately it shouldn't really affect the rebuild one way or the other. Assuming it's PV's call he doesn't seen to be in a big hurry to move him. But I can see both sides of should we or shouldn't we.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Ultimately it shouldn't really affect the rebuild one way or the other. Assuming it's PV's call he doesn't seen to be in a big hurry to move him. But I can see both sides of should we or shouldn't we.
It could also be wanting to do right by him. He’s clearly at least been open to moving on, if not outright wanting a move, for a while and now there’s both a good market of teams looking and a capable replacement who might be the starter regardless of what happens. Not to say they should just trade him for scraps but now seems as good of a time as any.

Reactions: snarktacular

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Dostal struggled mightily after a great October opener. Gibby carried the team for a month or two until Dostal was able to regain footing again. I don't mind having Gibby around this year so that the team makes sure Dostal is more consistent year round for this coming season.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Why does everyone assume not crazy about retaining comes from not wanting to tie up one of three retention slots and not from ownership not wanting to pay millions for a player not on the team?

Yes I think having money tied up in non roster expenditures, is by far the greater issue. I recall BM saying years ago that the Samueli's weren't keen to pay anyone who isn't an active roster player. Or maybe just that they were sick of having so much salary on IR etc. I don't see us retaining a large amount for three more years. Perhaps a less significant percentage (like say 1.4M to get Gibby down to 5M per)

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
In their latest "32 thoughts" podcast, Friedman and Marek "speculate" that Detroit could have interest in Gibson. Just throwing it out there...

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think it's already been thrown out there but with Waddell saying he only wants a hockey trade to move Laine I wonder if Gibson straight up could be an option?
I don't think CBJ would be interested, unless they move Merzlikins. If they make a goalie move, feels like they will target someone with a proven track record the past few years

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I don't think CBJ would be interested, unless they move Merzlikins. If they make a goalie move, feels like they will target someone with a proven track record the past few years
That makes sense. But there's no way anybody is taking Laine in a pure hockey trade at less than bargain basement prices. Getting a goalie they need could be tempting if they can find a way to move Elvis elsewhere. Obviously we would not move Gibby for Elvis.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Trading Gibby now isn't ideal because his value is so low. I think our best case scenario for trading Gibby is, have him compete with Dostal for the starting job and hope it lights a fire under him again. A motivated Gibby can fetch more in a trade than the deflated version we have now. The deal is also easier to trade with less term on it. I don't see a good reason to trade him right now unless he's a distraction to the team.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The only way Gibson returns anything valuable is if he pumps his Sv% into the .920+ range for an extended period, and even then goalies simply don’t return amazing returns. He’s an addition by subtraction, or a swap of bad pieces type of trade IMO.

What do people think a retained Gibson would reasonably return?
A hot start wouldn't hurt but after 5 years of decline nobody's going to be fooled into thinking his value is significantly higher. But a hot start and some retention might get somebody to bite. I think it really comes down to how much does PV want to move him or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad