Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I don’t see the interest from either side, could be very wrong but doesn’t seem like a great fit. Winnipeg likely wants to use him as a piece to upgrade their lineup, not the other way around. On our end, he’s a good prospect but doesn’t really address a need and the fit isn’t great. I’m skeptical they’d go big for yet another left shot left wing.

Reactions: Kalv

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I would guess that like Gauthier, his value has roughly held up to his draft position from a couple years ago - meaning you are likely looking at a mid first or equivalent package. I can pretty easily picture a team in the 12-20 range, moving their pick for McGroarty if the opportunity arises.

I wonder if something like Lacombe + Oilers 1st gets you on the dance floor?
I would do that 100%

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don’t see the interest from either side, could be very wrong but doesn’t seem like a great fit. Winnipeg likely wants to use him as a piece to upgrade their lineup, not the other way around. On our end, he’s a good prospect but doesn’t really address a need and the fit isn’t great. I’m skeptical they’d go big for yet another left shot left wing.
Doesn’t he play RW at least? I mean I’m sure we’d love to go RHS forward…. But there isn’t exactly a ton available

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Can’t say I remember ever hearing this players name before.

Pre-2022 draft, McGroarty was touted as a great captain, great motor, and a player that coaches love. The downside for him was skating, preventing him from being more dynamic. That's what kept him outside to the top-10 discussion and projected him around the early 20s, such as MyNHLdraft.

Here's a long form article on McGroarty by Scott Wheeler that substantiates the above description:

Jets got McGroarty earlier at 14. It looks like he's developed very well in college. I was surprised he wanted to return for his junior year. No idea what's happened between the two, McGroarty and the Jets, but it could be similar to Cutter's situation with Philly where Philly didn't want to burn a year of his ELC this past season. At least McGroarty is letting the Jets come away with assets instead of silently becoming a UFA and the Jets get nothing.

From an April 15, 2024 article about McGroarty returning to Michigan for his junior season:

It’s a decision that will leave some Jets fans concerned, given the number of Wolverines stars who have already signed in the NHL. Jets fans will also remember former Winnipeg prospect Nathan Smith; the Jets’ third-round pick in 2018 was traded to Arizona in 2022 after it became clear that he didn’t want to sign in Winnipeg.
Winnipeg is a deep team, particularly up front and on the wings. Sean Monahan and Tyler Toffoli are the only 2024 UFAs on the roster, which already leaves Cole Perfetti, the No. 10 pick in 2020, on the outside looking in. With fellow 2022 first-round pick Brad Lambert and 2021 second-round pick Nikita Chibrikov making big strides with Manitoba in the AHL this season, it’s difficult to look at the Jets roster and see immediate NHL playing time. Whereas Nazar has already played (and scored) in the NHL for Chicago and Brindley will make an immediate debut for Columbus, McGroarty doesn’t have that same runway in Winnipeg.

Reactions: SoCal Dreaming
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Doesn’t he play RW at least? I mean I’m sure we’d love to go RHS forward…. But there isn’t exactly a ton available
I don’t think he did in Michigan but I see he’s listed as one on hockeydb so maybe he could, but the left shot is more troublesome. You probably cant be that particular in the draft but you should be when making trades.

I was actually starting to come around a bit, depending on what we’d give up, but then I read there might be some angst over being blocked in Winnipeg, which is why he went back in the first place. If that’s the case then I’d definitely be out, he wouldn’t have a spot here either.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don’t think he did in Michigan but I see he’s listed as one on hockeydb so maybe he could, but the left shot is more troublesome. You probably cant be that particular in the draft but you should be when making trades.

I was actually starting to come around a bit, depending on what we’d give up, but then I read there might be some angst over being blocked in Winnipeg, which is why he went back in the first place. If that’s the case then I’d definitely be out, he wouldn’t have a spot here either.
Ya I mean it depends on his reasonings and if we’re allowed to talk to him…. Ultimately I think he could be a Vatrano replacement if we don’t have plans to keep him around(but if he wants to go pro this year that prob takes that out of the equation)

I mean if you can get it done with a late 1st + pieces like our RFA and stuff you prob just take the talent and figure out the rest later

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Pre-2022 draft, McGroarty was touted as a great captain, great motor, and a player that coaches love. The downside for him was skating, preventing him from being more dynamic. That's what kept him outside to the top-10 discussion and projected him around the early 20s, such as MyNHLdraft.

Here's a long form article on McGroarty by Scott Wheeler that substantiates the above description:

Jets got McGroarty earlier at 14. It looks like he's developed very well in college. I was surprised he wanted to return for his junior year. No idea what's happened between the two, McGroarty and the Jets, but it could be similar to Cutter's situation with Philly where Philly didn't want to burn a year of his ELC this past season. At least McGroarty is letting the Jets come away with assets instead of silently becoming a UFA and the Jets get nothing.

From an April 15, 2024 article about McGroarty returning to Michigan for his junior season:

It’s a decision that will leave some Jets fans concerned, given the number of Wolverines stars who have already signed in the NHL. Jets fans will also remember former Winnipeg prospect Nathan Smith; the Jets’ third-round pick in 2018 was traded to Arizona in 2022 after it became clear that he didn’t want to sign in Winnipeg.
Winnipeg is a deep team, particularly up front and on the wings. Sean Monahan and Tyler Toffoli are the only 2024 UFAs on the roster, which already leaves Cole Perfetti, the No. 10 pick in 2020, on the outside looking in. With fellow 2022 first-round pick Brad Lambert and 2021 second-round pick Nikita Chibrikov making big strides with Manitoba in the AHL this season, it’s difficult to look at the Jets roster and see immediate NHL playing time. Whereas Nazar has already played (and scored) in the NHL for Chicago and Brindley will make an immediate debut for Columbus, McGroarty doesn’t have that same runway in Winnipeg.
Ty for this info. Appreciate It 🙏🏼

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Rutger is exactly the type of prospect every team targets unless they're in a rare situation where they're going to be declining and know they're going to suck for many years.

Ducks would absolutely trade a number of futures for him, help is needed in the lineup asap. Rutger, just like Cutter is exactly what the Ducks are lacking and what they have drafted in the F ranks recently.

Verbeek could pull off the best 1-2 deal combo this team has ever seen in a single season from a GM if fortunes shine on him and McGroarty wants to be on the Ducks. But even if Verbeek doesn't hijack another future all star from another franchise that would really put a frown on the rest of the league and that is true W.

I think the odds for that are actually really good. We can assume he would choose to come to the states. Ducks have so many young americans in Zegras, Terry, Colangelo, Cutter, LaCombe, Helleson, Pastujov, Nesterenko, etc. Him being a teammate and usually a linemate of Cutter throughout their development can't hurt. "He's my best friend off the ice." - Rut & Cut

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
This idea that McTavish *isnt* going to be an impact player is pretty strange.

He’s 21 and already a solid 2nd line center. There’s no reason he can’t get a little better and be an 80-ish point player
When I watch Big Mac play. You can tell, he’s overly analytical and doesn’t flow yet. All the signs of a player who listens to his coach and tries to do what is instructed of him. I hope he’s our captain i really do. Next year he has a break out year where he stops thinking so much and just plays. Also I think he gets in 2 fights both of which will be turning points for the team.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
This idea that McTavish *isnt* going to be an impact player is pretty strange.

He’s 21 and already a solid 2nd line center. There’s no reason he can’t get a little better and be an 80-ish point player
I think I’d disagree and say he’s shown flashes of being a solid 2nd line center with significant periods of belonging on a 3rd line at this point in his career. 40-ish points isn’t solid 2nd line center material, and he takes far too many stupid penalties for the position as well. He’s also too frequently lost on his positioning and defensive responsibilities. I don’t think he’d be on the 2nd line of a single playoff team.

Yes, he’s 21. Yes, he was injured. Yes, he made Strome and Vatrano look very good for a month or so. Yes, he has great potential. But no, IMO he’s only a 2nd line player on a bad team at this point in his career.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I would take him but isn’t he basically a worse mctavish with less skills and who cant skate?

He certainly caught my eye with his physical play during the WJCs. Big player, physical, great reach and shot. He can definitely grow into this future team mold. I would definitely trade our late round pick and someone else..

Maybe our late first + Pitre?

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
I think I’d disagree and say he’s shown flashes of being a solid 2nd line center with significant periods of belonging on a 3rd line at this point in his career. 40-ish points isn’t solid 2nd line center material, and he takes far too many stupid penalties for the position as well. He’s also too frequently lost on his positioning and defensive responsibilities. I don’t think he’d be on the 2nd line of a single playoff team.

Yes, he’s 21. Yes, he was injured. Yes, he made Strome and Vatrano look very good for a month or so. Yes, he has great potential. But no, IMO he’s only a 2nd line player on a bad team at this point in his career.
I agree. He has the potential but IMO has a long way to go before he is a solid 2nd line center on a playoff team. Luckily the team is a ways off before they are a playoff team so he has time to continue to develop.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
N
No way McGroarty returns two first rd picks, even two late first rounders. He was a mid first round pick, and he's developed as expected. His weaknesses involving his skating are still there.

As people have suggested, McGroarty's driving the bus here and will have some input as to where he goes, and no one wants to give up premium assets for a NCAA player unless they are sure they can sign him. Who does he think he is, Gauthier ? :joker:

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
He certainly caught my eye with his physical play during the WJCs. Big player, physical, great reach and shot. He can definitely grow into this future team mold. I would definitely trade our late round pick and someone else..

Maybe our late first + Pitre?
Something based around our late first would be fantastic for us but I suspect that they would want a higher quality future asset or a legit roster upgrade

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

40-ish points? That’s just flat out lying. He was on pace for 53 last year on a dreadful PP and offensive team

The rest is fair I guess. Probably true now…but won’t be for long IMO. He’s on a similar trajectory to several other high end power forwards

Reactions: gilfaizon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad