Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Replace the assistant coaches, buy low on Marino, sell high on Vatrano for McGroarty, pick up a couple complementary pieces and call it a solid off-season.

Reactions: lwvs84 and MCB

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
From Pagnotta:

“After putting up 37 goals and 60 points this past season, Frank Vatrano’s value has never been higher. Verbeek and the Ducks are also taking calls on him, as he enters the final year of his contract.”

I wonder if Winnipeg would have any interest in Vatrano, in a McGroaty deal.
I doubt it, unless vatrano were to sign an extension. I doubt that as well.

Reactions: Dostwall

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Marino was fantastic two seasons ago, and it looks like he was good last season, but was bitten by the PDO bug. I would happily take Marino in trade. Roy is the guy I'd want in free agency if Pesce is off the table.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I am starting to get worried that the Ducks may get left without a chair in the RHD market.

Chatfield and now possibly Pesce are off the board.

As far as T4 RHD in free agency, that leaves: Carrier, DeMelo, Montour, Roy, Tanev, and Walker?
That’s honestly kind of fine by me, I’m afraid of any deal that goes beyond three years for pretty much any defenseman. If there’s a bargain, sure, but I’d rather sign none than sign someone who’s an anchor when the team is actually good.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
I am starting to get worried that the Ducks may get left without a chair in the RHD market.

Chatfield and now possibly Pesce are off the board.

As far as T4 RHD in free agency, that leaves: Carrier, DeMelo, Montour, Roy, Tanev, and Walker?
Of course the Ducks will miss out on the Top FA's. They almost always do which is not a terrible thing as most mistakes are made in the FA market. Like Strome.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Would rather keep Vatrano till Gauthier is ready to take on a top 6 role full time.

Unless we are getting a hockey trade with Vatrano or a prospect who is close to the NHL, have no interest to create another hole in the line up, for uncertain futures.

If Verbeek wants to package Vatrano in a deal to land a legit Top 4 D, or a young F, then I’m all for that.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Would rather keep Vatrano till Gauthier is ready to take on a top 6 role full time.

Unless we are getting a hockey trade with Vatrano or a prospect who is close to the NHL, have no interest to create another hole in the line up, for uncertain futures.

If Verbeek wants to package Vatrano in a deal to land a legit Top 4 D, or a young F, then I’m all for that.

yeah i'm not sure why they would trade vatrano, that just makes another hole. unless extension talks are going nowhere (i know he can't sign until July 1st, but they likely have an idea) i can't see them entertaining dealing him.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
the perfect trade

Who takes his minutes that can actually reliably play in the top 4? Mintyukov, unproven. LaCombe, unproven. Zellweger, unproven. Gudas, not anymore. Luneau, unproven. Vaakanainen, unproven/mightnotevenbehere. You trade Fowler and.... you're left with the exact same problem as right now. The idea is to add too Fowler and the Ducks might have enough support to allow the young players to grow into bigger roles.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Who takes his minutes that can actually reliably play in the top 4? Mintyukov, unproven. LaCombe, unproven. Zellweger, unproven. Gudas, not anymore. Luneau, unproven. Vaakanainen, unproven/mightnotevenbehere. You trade Fowler and.... you're left with the exact same problem as right now. The idea is to add too Fowler and the Ducks might have enough support to allow the young players to grow into bigger roles.
I think were using the word reliable pretty loosely here.

Ill take your obvious bait tho... and say you spread it out pretty evenly across the board.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I think were using the word reliable pretty loosely here.

I think you might be judging Fowler's impact pretty loosely here. There is so much context missing from your statement. Replacing Fowler with Marino or another top 4 defenseman of this quality does not equal a better team. Fowler's impact on the ice is a positive, not a negative.

Imagine any of the players I listed currently on this team taking his minutes last year. They would have collapsed. He's not the best defenseman, but he's a reliable top 4 defenseman without a doubt.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think you might be judging Fowler's impact pretty loosely here. There is so much context missing from your statement. Replacing Fowler with Marino or another top 4 defenseman of this quality does not equal a better team. Fowler's impact on the ice is a positive, not a negative.

Imagine any of the players I listed currently on this team taking his minutes last year. They would have collapsed. He's not the best defenseman, but he's a reliable top 4 defenseman without a doubt.
Which means were not losing much if we swap him out for marino.

I mean fowler basically collapsed playing those mins too, whats your point.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA

I'm a pretty big Fowler supporter and don't disagree that with fewer minutes, he would provide better play. On the other hand, though, how do the young guys get to be proven without playing? The Ducks aren't contending for the Cup next year - it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to just let the kids play.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The pretty easy answer is to, as you said, spread out the minutes, and then see if Fowler can excel at the mid-pairing minutes he should be getting.

Sure but is he even a fit for much longer…. His strongest assets are basically the same as our talented young guys…. Not to mention it’s much easier to find a lhd than it is to find a rhd, if we still feel we need a stop gap.

Most people here think we need to get tougher…. I’d say fowlers spot is one you can sacrifice to do that

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Sure but is he even a fit for much longer…. His strongest assets are basically the same as our talented young guys…. Not to mention it’s much easier to find a lhd than it is to find a rhd, if we still feel we need a stop gap.

Most people here think we need to get tougher…. I’d say fowlers spot is one you can sacrifice to do that
Take him from 24-25 minutes to 18 and see? He had the 16th most TOI/G in the entire league. That’s ridiculous.

This is another developmental year. I’d rather have someone with some offensive/puck moving abilities training the offensive/puck moving rookies. Getting a stopgap physical guy is more for wins.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
At the risk of stating the obvious, Fowler should be taken off PP1 next year. We should give Minty, Z2, and maybe (later in the year depending on health) Luneau, the chance to earn the position. Next year is still more of a development year than squeezing out a few extra meaningless standings points (not to say we even would). Fowler could have fewer minutes to hopefully strengthen his D play and we can develop the future PPQB(s) of the next 10 years.

Who knows, maybe we even end up with an improved PP and actually win a few more games vs trotting Fowler out on PP again?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Reactions: Ducks DVM
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
At the risk of stating the obvious, Fowler should be taken off PP1 next year. We should give Minty, Z2, and maybe (later in the year depending on health) Luneau, the chance to earn the position. Next year is still more of a development year than squeezing out a few extra meaningless standings points (not to say we even would). Fowler could have fewer minutes to hopefully strengthen his D play and we can develop the future PPQB(s) of the next 10 years.

Who knows, maybe we even end up with an improved PP and actually win a few more games vs trotting Fowler out on PP again?
The younger guys do need the reps and maybe things improve under Clune in that regard but it’s odd to blame Fowler for powerplay stuff. His unit was the good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad